Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 351

psychology being passed off as philosophy?

:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I have more than one purpose in asking this question.

Is there any reason to uphold a common presupposition that we are more philosophically advanced now than we were 50 years ago?
And if it was universally established that we arent then is it possible to go back to the philosophical standards of the 50s and 60s?
would capitalism allow it to happen?

Is the world now philosophically bankrupt? just look at the worlds intellectual landscape,
Is there anything that can be called a philosophy or are people just a collection of advertisers psychological ploys?

We must be fit,beautiful and have a positive and outgoing personality, or else we are some sort of sub-standard failure?
This used not be the case, where has common decency gone?

Do we only wish to be beautiful because the sellers of beauty products tell us we should be?
Is much of our desire to be fit down to the fact that the sellers of low fat products tell us we will die if we dont lose the weight?

Is art(advertising)imitating life or is life imitating art(advertising)
Does advertising mirror life or does life mirror advertising(and the psychology that goes with it).

And most worryingly, does the psychology that goes into getting us to buy even consider our happiness at all,
is it fair to accuse the makers of beauty products for all the ugly people in the world and by extension can they be blamed for all the unhappiness "ugly" people feel.

Lastly,how preoccupied do unhappy people get with the source of their unhappiness? shouldnt they be more concerned with proper thought? so by extension does advertising actually slow peoples intellectual progress?

Like i said at the start, i've more than one reason for asking.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Mar 8, 2013
Good points. Psychology is nothing but re-directing the stray individual back into society. It never aims to define how the norms in the society should be. Hence the difference between psychology and psychiatry (psychology stopped explaining what morality is good for the biological health)

Philosophy at least tried to set these rules and well, to think upon it. Psy replaced everything with its egocentric megalomania (psychology as a virtual person)
macker33 Featured By Owner Mar 8, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
well there is a need because some people need help,
But theres a lot of "pop" psychology and this is really bad.

"It never aims to define how the norms in the society should be." -- i disagree, i think people abuse it a lot. It has been used by people like kinsey et al.

I'm personally of the belief that everything should be kept outside the head as much as possible.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Greed is good."
macker33 Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Gives me a pain in the belly.
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I usually find the opposite to be true.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
i'm not suprised
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
A judgement of my character or of general humanity and their belief that any rather unfounded philosophical conception of the human mind passes for psychology?
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
A judgement on atheists of which you are one.
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
What has my atheistic view got to to with the fact that I believe there are far too many philosophical idiots who pass their ideas about how the human mind works off as psychology when there is no scientific basis or justification for their model? Or better still, scientific psychology directly contradicts the model they hold as true?

I admit to seeing a parallel, but understand: my remark is in response to your title. I have purposely ignored your OP.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Well atheists just say no to everything, i thought rightly or wrongly that that was what it was.

"I believe there are far too many philosophical idiots who pass their ideas about how the human mind works " -- you got that right, science isnt the way to try and understand people.
Add a Comment: