Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Do you believe ethics should be deontological or consequential?

:iconalexthegreat13:
AlextheGreat13 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Deontological ethics are concerned with adhering to a strict code, whether it is secular or not. A deontological ethicist is most concerned with sticking to his or her principles rather than considering the outcome of the adherence. Examples include the Social Contract and most religious doctrines.

Consequentialist ethics are concerned with the consequences of actions. A follower of consequentialist ethics is more concerned with the outcome of their actions rather than whether they adhere to codes and rules. A good example of this would be Utilitarianism.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I'm quite a consequentialist. I don't care about rules as long as I get what I want with the least amount of pain. :lol:
:iconi-stamp:
i-stamp Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I find traditionalists and those who choose their actions based on divine revelation to be intellectually lazy.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Morals should be about the consequences of breaking rules on those who are effected. This does require
some amount of empathy.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Utilitarianism sucks.I reject it totally.

People should do the right thing for the right reasons, what counts is the intention and not the result, the end does not justify the means.
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I think Kant is right, the only ethic we can follow is our own ethic also because it is obviuosly influenced by the ethic of the society.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Kant was an ass.
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Why?the second part of his work isn't so great...but why?
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I just blame kant for heading the ball,
i know he got it from decarte but philosophy was better before this whole "eye of the beholder" stuff came along.
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
not only from descarte, he mede order of all the philospphy before him, and thanks him we can have Nietzshe, Shopenauer etc etc
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
"and thanks him we can have Nietzshe"-- why should i be grateful for that?

I dont want to mislead you so for the sake of clarity i should point out that i am a christian and consider that any philosopher that dismisses God to be bankrupt.
Add a Comment: