December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 213

What's "gay"?

:iconjstar19000:
JStar19000 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My dad is REALLY religious...

He says he is with God and is bound to go to heaven... or something like that, i don't know. I usually stop listening to his lectures then start thinking about more important things... like...

uh...
homework. XD

But then i asked him what he thinks of Gay people (did that sound offensive...? I'm really sorry if it did. no offense at all!) and he said,

"Son, Gays are a disgrace and they are disgusting. they are a sin and they shall never enter the kingdom of heaven."

So then i asked him what "considers" someone gay other than what they wear or how they talk or of course, their sexuality, and he fell silent. ._.

Sorry if i sound really stupid right now, but i'm just curious.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsauti-alamisi:
Sauti-Alamisi Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm Christain, and I don't think being gay is a sin. Why, because that is not treating people equally like you are supposed to do. :shrug:
:iconnark0tica:
Nark0tica Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Being gay is okay in the bible but acting upon it is not. It's not an abomination either so it doesn't mean auto-hell and it doesn't make the person irredeemable.
Your dad should better study his own religion :U
:iconpippintookoftheshire:
PippinTookoftheShire Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Gayness:
1: Happiness (dated)
2: Homosexuality
That's it.
:iconbooks-music-dragons:
Books-Music-Dragons Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmm I don't know that much about gay people but I find that they're really awesome people to talk to. I just don't understand why there's so much hate towards them :shrug:
:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The word "gay" has more than one meaning
It used to be slang for happiness, and its meaning has changed throughout the years.

As for me...I believe it's an identity based around one's sexuality. Being gay myself (in the homosexual term) I believe I have right to say that :shrug:
:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You do not capitalize word 'gay' unless it's at the beginning of the sentence. It's not a proper noun.
Operia Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
In German, all nouns are capitalised :eyes:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
In case you hadn't noticed, this is English. :icongtfoplz:
Operia Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
In case you haven't noticed, kāua e tauwhiro au :iconsnobplz:
(or in English; I don't care)
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You cared enough to reply. Now, odjebi. (English: fuck off.)
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Well if all the stuck up weird Christ fanatics are all going to heaven then I don't even want to be there. I'll just get laid with all my fellow gays in hell. Aw yeah!
:icondessertsarestressed:
DessertsAreStressed Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Writer
Gay means (or at least used to mean) happy. I'm not sure why people changed it. It used to be one of my favorite words. But now, if I say it around anyone, they're all like, "*snickersnicker* YOU SED GAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!" Nowadays, gay means homosexual. And at times, it means guys that in someway act/look/dress like a "girl".
:iconpanthera--shadow:
Panthera--Shadow Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can read old poetry without snickering at the word "gay."
DessertsAreStressed Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Writer
Yay team we-don't-laugh-at-the-term-gay! :highfive:
:iconpanthera--shadow:
Panthera--Shadow Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconkermityayplz:
DessertsAreStressed Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
:XD:
:iconsevmd:
SEVMD Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ah Catholicism and God
Personally its what a lot of people summarized about gay in the previous comments are more or less it.

However I feel that there is something against this...gay. I'm not a sexist but I really think if you start putting sexism into religion it can be a troublesome issue ._.
(I'm sorry for saying this) I think your father is a bit harsh on this even if he is really religious, I can be really religious at times too but I think people who chose to be gay is due to the fact that we have free will that was given by God. If you remember that from your father's lectures/preachings/teachings he should have said that (this is one of the important things that God gave us), God had given us the free will to do what we want and what we feel is right. I mean, if you truly love that person who is the same gender as you, free will, love that person.

Its true that in the Catholic religion we do not really accept gay-ism but I feel that we should. I think there was a time where one of the churches accepted the fact that some of their believers were gay and welcomed them back.

Btw, make sure your father doesn't go about saying that sentence to other religious people... Some might end up bible thumping him.Just saying, Bible thumping is basically testing your religious belief by using a bible and finding faults to test your faith (I hate those people, I'm sorry)

and once again I have spouted nonsense in another post which probably doesn't make sense to anybody
:iconmoofactory:
moofactory Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
your dad is a biggoted idiot, dont listen to his ignorant bullshit.
And im a strait man saying that.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
To be gay is to be same sex attracted.
:icondeltari2:
deltari2 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
well,gay means some gender switch from boy to girl,but you know "gay" didn't have that definition before,it mean't "happy" thats what I know and its a fact
:icontheawesomefaerie:
TheAwesomeFaerie Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013   Traditional Artist
No, it means to be attracted to someone of the same gender as yourself, what you're thinking of is Transgender.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Slightly unrelated: [link]
:icondisappearing-inkwell:
Disappearing-Inkwell Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
you can't choose sexuality, just as you can not choose to be mentally disabled. i don't believe homosexuality is truly a sin and in no way would it make you unfit to enter heaven.
:iconrionx:
RiONX Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Kurt Cobain said "Everyone is gay", if he was right it sounds like your dad has a low opinion of everyone, even himself. If i were you i would tell your dad that you still love and accept him even though he is gay.
:icontheawesomeshoexd:
TheAwesomeShoeXD Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well the word "gay" actually means happy. I think he just doesn't like happiness.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Anything unnatural is gay, hence homosexuals are gay.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist
Homosexuality occurs often in nature, and is therefore natural.

Oops.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
you are seeing what you want to see, i know better. dogs hump legs and brushes too.
And guess what. Oh shit. It still happens in nature.
Yeah, but its not a preference like gays make it out to be,

Anyway, i'm not going to have a gay discussion.
its not a preference

You're quite a twit, aren't you?
No, i'm just not saying what you want to hear.
:icondadona777:
dadona777 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
a gay person is someone who is attracted to the same sex alone and not the opposite sex :la:
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
But then, you have this problem of what defines attracted.
dadona777 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
you get sexually excited by the same sex :|

then of course, you have the whole business with romantic attraction, which is not the same as sexual attraction, and can exist completely separate from sexual orientation
And define sexually excited? There are just so many different interpretation of that I'm not going to list them all.
:| why not then
Let me see here.

Sexually excited

1.To be sexually aroused.

-If this is the definition you want, then you run into the problem over the fact that arousal is a physiological response which has been proven to not necessarily connected to the intrinsic conceptualization of attraction idea. The evidence is the "Asexual female study", "A Sex Difference in the specificity of sexual arousal", "Determinants of Sexual Arousal and the Accuracy of its Self-Estimation
in Sexually Functional Males", and many more studies which shows that physiological arousal does not always matches up with subjective arousal.

2.To enjoy the mechanism

-Well, if we are to base it off this definition. You run into problems when you consider the fact that it is entirely possible to enjoy the mechanism of a sexual activities without being attracted to the stimulator (sex toys, people, etc.) One example is people who needs to full-fill their sexual needs and they get excited when they go against their sexuality intentionally even though he/she isn't attracted from the intrinsic conceptualized feelings of the gender. You also run into the problem of disassociated connection from fantasy to reality as it's entirely possible to be asexual and still fantasizes sexual activities. Not to mention this discounts virgins.

3. Enjoyment of the arousal trigger through external stimulis

-This ignores the fact that it's possible to enjoy the arousal without ever associating with the 'desire' to have sex. The fact undermines the validity of the claim. Not to mention that it's entirely possible to enjoy being stimulated by a sex object or fantasy or other without feeling attracted.

There's some more, but I think you get the idea.
thank you :la: very interesting information

though what would you call it when someone sees a person, is attracted to their traits, and desires to have sex with them? is that it's own category or does it fall into one of those, or all of them?
panromantic*
It would fall under 1 and 3 if traits are body features and shows stimulation from external stimulis, but if traits were personality, then you'd have to add platonic or pan to the mix I guess. You should take a look at platonic and panromance/pansexual.
(1 Reply)
:iconxgstarx:
xgstarx Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
that's what i do when my mom starts lecturing me about god and stuff. usually the subject comes up when i don't do something she wants me to do.ugh, i swear it's the same thing over and over.it gets really anoying sometimes.so i just pretend i'm listening but am actually thinking about using the laptop!lol!and the best part about it is that she doesn't suspect a thing.
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It still surprises me when people think sexuality is a choice.
At least some of the newer generations are wising up.
I hope my children will grow up in a less judgmental world than I did.
It still surprises me when people think sexuality is a choice.

-Semantics would allow you to argue this position if we are to equate sexual behaviors to sexual attraction and there are people who don't really act on their abstract conceptualized attraction (sexual attraction tends to be relative to each people and their perception is abstract).
kausawolf Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well do you think sexuality is a choice?
Depends on what perspective would you like me to consider. Deterministic or based on who you have sex with? If the case is that sexually attracted means being attracted into engaging with the same sex based upon decisions and I have to stick from the based from who you have sex with, then yes it is possible to make a case that sexuality is a choice if we are to assume sexual attraction is determined from sexual behaviors. If we look to the meaning of attracted.

------
Cause to come to a place or participate in a venture by offering something of interest, favorable conditions, or opportunities
- a campaign to attract more visitors to West Virginia
- he hoped this strategy would attract foreign investment by multinationals

Evoke (a specified reaction)
- I did not want to attract attention
- his criticism of the government attracted widespread support

Cause (someone) to have a liking for or interest in something
- I was attracted to the idea of working for a ballet company

Cause (someone) to have a sexual or romantic interest in someone
- it was her beauty that attracted him

Exert a force on (an object) that is directed toward the source of the force

-------

The first definition would allow rooms for sexuality to be based from sexual behaviors instead of the concept of intrinsic feelings of attraction under the last definition.

In short to say, I do not believe in much with respect to sexuality as I'm more interested into factual analysis than beliefs. You'd have to tell me the question in relative to what belief in order for me to answer because I have a lot more than this to tell you.
Alright I wasn't expecting definitions of attract but I guess I'd have to say both Cause definitions seem to fit?
Yeah they both fit. The second one I mentioned can arguably go like this. I am sexually interested into this dildo, but I am not 'sexually attracted (in the sense of what most people seems to assume)' to this dildo. So there's that.
Alright, that does bring up a good point.

When I mean attracted I mean in the sense of some men like women with blond hair, or women with large breasts.
Its what they like, for very little rhyme and reason.
Now lets say women with brown hair utterly disgusts someone, they can't even stand the idea of being with them.
Its their biggest turn off, ect ect.
Is that a choice they have or is that just their tastes and who they are?
That's their taste and who they are. It's like you prefer this snazzy car over this boring car.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: