Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 60

Pros and Cons of an Undying World

:iconterrytatcher:
TerryTatcher Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Everyone on planet earth is suddenly immune to torture, disease, pain, annihilation, death, and aging. The entire human race is now perfectly immortal.

List what you think would be the pros and cons of such a world.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
We'd stagnate forever and probably start losing our marbles.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Cons -- we eventually run out of space and use up the resources of earth.

Just because you can't get sick or die, doesn't mean life on earth will not be a hellhole.
:iconanark10n:
anark10n Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
More time to see things through. And exponentially more time to waste :P
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Ok...when does this 'anti age' thing start. NOW? So all the useless babies will STAY useless babies forever?

You can't GROW without food, so if we didn't eat we'd be pretty much stuck exactly as we are.

You REALLY want a generation of people who never grow up? And pretty soon the earth would be covered by squishy, crying babies nobody wants. You'd have the current population of adults, and all the never aging infants we produce.

And these kids would never intellectually age, either. So really...useless.

Aaaaand all the people who can't deal with the kids, they spend eternity torturing a baby they don't want? And the kid spends an eternity being ignored and abused? Being immune to physical pain doesn't mean you can't be scared or emotionally hurt.

I can just see people throwing their 50 year old squalling infant against the wall and kicking them around like a football.

Wow, this is getting really dark.
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I would imagine that it would be alright for the first few hundred years. Eventually, though, I have to imagine that it would become amazingly boring going into the first few thousand. of course I would hope that we as a race would begin to explore interstellar travel. That would definitely add a few thousand more years of entertaining experiences. Still, in the end I have to imagine that it would become amazingly boring and ultimately lead to existence being torture. Who knows, it would be nice to be able to read everything I'd like to read.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Sounds like an episode of Torchwood. Captain Jack Harkness can never die. He even got pulverised into a pulp and still came back. Being immortal is a curse not a blessing.
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Finally we will get into space. If we are immortal we don't need suits, protection, food, water, oxygen, heat and we will have all the time of the world to reach other systems and even galaxies.

If you mean not dying of old age or disease, the answer is pretty much the same. But we would need things like a space elevator, ships, stations and bases. But we would have plenty of time to invent and built those.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional General Artist
If death ceased to exist the biggest problem would be overpopulation and running out of resources to feed and house a growing population, eventually all the world's resources would be used up and the planet would be choked to death by an overabundance of Humanity.

No one would have to worry about starving to death because in your scenario that threat has also disappeared, but eventually all the world's plants and animals would be eaten or destroyed, the delicate balance of the food chain would be broken and the world would die anyway.

But then, considering aging has also been stopped in this scenario, would it be possible for new children to be born at all? The fertilized egg needs to age in order to begin dividing up into the cells that will bring forth a new Human; without aging the egg will go no further then the fertilized stage and eventually get flushed out during the woman's cycle. No more Humans would be born.
That solves the overpopulation problem.

But the world is overpopulated as it is right now and it struggles to sustain us and the other life on its surface; the only good thing I could see coming out of immortality is that perhaps with more age will come wisdom in our race and we'll learn how to work with nature to benifit our world instead of against it.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
we'd over populate the earth in ....oh about twenty or so years.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
This scenario contradicts itself. People wouldn't be people still if they can neither age, die, reproduce nor be tortured.
Add a Comment: