Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 70

"Artists are stupid"

:iconaistar:
Aistar Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   General Artist
I don't really know what to think about this. Don't think of me as a bad person. I am only curious. This is also my first time on the forums and I am also really tired lately.. <.<

Now. Let's say someone says this to your face or you happened to be after getting dragged into an argument such as this and had no way out of it until it ended; If it started along the lines of this, can you come up with a response?:

"What kind of bright minded student such as ___ would take up a career in art?"
"Why the hell would someone as smart as you would aim for a career in art? Why not go take up something that's actually worth your time or intellect?"
"All artists are stupid."

Really though. What would you say? :?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconanatarakentara:
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I get a more "Art makes you poor"

To please the "art is stupid, you're to smart' and "art is poor" crowds,

go into CGI and the like.

Art-filled AND makes money.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
You need to calm down and really educate yourself. Think about the latest movie, cartoon or things you use everyday. Did you think those things that entertain you were stupid? All these in a way were conceived by artists. Or like think of your favorite musician. Thats an artist too. All these behind the scene stuff are all done by artist that are credited more then the movie stars them selves, and yet the majority the public don't care or bother to notice their talents.
:iconfactoryrain:
Factoryrain Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Being an artist is REALLY rough. None of us can be top notch perfect to everyone like a math paper with a 100 written on it.
We have a practice for years and strive to be good enough.
It's hard to be noticed.
People are HARD on us.
The people around me have no bone in their body to respect art.
Look at those websites you go to, ARTIST DESIGN THEM. Look at your purse because someone designed that, too! Your house, wallet, school, pillow cases, shirts, underwear, EVERYTHING. An artistic mind and soul created that. Without us, people, it wouldn't be so appealing.
Think about the shows you watch. Someone wrote that. Writing is art.
Is it animated? OH GOD SO MUCH WORK WENT INTO THAT YOU DON'T EVEN REALIZE IT.

"Stupid? Sir, I'm going to go out and do the things I love to do. What are you going to do with your life?"
:iconbryosgirl:
bryosgirl Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
How I answer would depend on who and how I'm asked. Mostly my response would be, "Because I enjoy it," (or something to that effect.) As for the "Artists are stupid," attitude, if I'm feeling argumentive I may give a list of careers and individuals who have discreditted the claim, but the rest of the time I'd probably just roll my eyes and walk away.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Are Atheists stupid? Many are. So are many Theists. Most humans seem to be. Nothing unique to any one group really.
:icontaylor17387:
taylor17387 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've never seen any correlation between intelligence and success in life (in the sense of having lots of money and power).
In fact, it seems to be the other way around. The most stupid and illiterate people end up being rich, famous or politicians.
So, rather than being stupid, artists are just impractical. The same can be said about those who choose a career in theoretical sciences like mathematics or physics. They rarely end up earning more money than those who choose a business career. But are they stupid? No, not in the least.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"You haven't the slightest idea of what art even means. Nor do those who claim to be artists. Art is almost dead. What's left is mostly just kitsch, a lewd brothel selling out the guts.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
"Why the hell would someone as smart as you would aim for a career in art? Why not go take up something that's actually worth your time or intellect?"

Because my intellect is to good for you.
:iconstrangemass:
Strangemass Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes I am. :picknose:
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
As someone who was one of those people who was told that I was "too smart" to do the things I wanted, I'd say that it's an absolutely awful bit of advice to listen to. I want to college for 3 years as a Computer Science major and dropped out because I was bored and hated it. Not surprising is the fact that the only A's I received were in my creative writing and other English & Literature electives.
Add a Comment: