looking for a 'religion' to call my own

Hello all, I'll keep this kind of short and to the point. I was raised christian but I do not believe in one being creating the universe. I am agnostic because I don't want to say I know for a fact there is no god/godesses. I don't like how some things in religious writing are unrealistic (like the whole story of adam and eve), but I guess that's how many religions started, so I guess I have to get used to it. I enjoy science a little too much.Okay by now you've noticed this isn't short at all, but I've looked very briefly at pagans because of the connection to nature and I like the concept of getting energy from yourself (self relying). Open to other suggestions. Thank you
Comments69
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Taoism definitely fits the bill here.
If you must have a religion (I don't see why simple Agnostic Atheism wouldn't mesh with your views), I would suggest looking into Universal Unitarianism.

That has to be the most theologically free school to ever come out of western organized religion. Seriously.
*Unitarian Universalism. Not that it matters.
Try catholicism, its by far most personal religion i can think of. Everything with catholicism is on a one to one basis.
Try Buddhism. Their only real law is Don't be a Dick
Oh, there isn't much religions that support agnosticism and atheism. But first, check whether you need religion or not. If you find you don't really need religion, then don't have one. That's completely viable option, and probably the best. You then set your own beliefs, which is most probably better than adopting a pre-packet package.
Do you just want to be part of a religion just so you have a label? Because from the sound of it your just trying to find a title, not a god.

also dont be a pagan. Just dont.
You don't need to find a set of pre-packaged beliefs so that you can adopt the label. Just find out what's true and believe that.Much better than deliberately duplicating other people's mistakes.
Out of curiosity, may I ask what you find most disagreeable with Christianity?
Buddhism, taoism, sufism, etc
And, God spake all these words, saying, "I am the LORD thy God", which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. . . Exodus 20:1-8."
What part of "Bible is bullshit" in OP have you not understand?
Just keep looking, when something is right for you, you'll know.
There are many, MANY pagan religions. Some are nature based, some are not. I usually send people to The Witches Voice to start.

About.com has a pretty good selection on pagan paths as well.
Thank you for the replies everyone- You all have given me a lot to actually think about! I appreciate it.
You don't really state in your OP why you need a religion.  Maybe you do, maybe you don't.  Seems to me this should be your first question.  Why?

But addressing your search more specifically, you seem to think that reading the Bible literally is necessary for being a Christian.  There are many Christian denominations and many individual Christians who don't.
You also contradict yourself, stating that you don't believe in one being creating the universe, but then stating you're an agnostic who's on the fence about whether or not god exists.  Maybe you just worded that portion badly.

If you're looking for a general overview of world religions, then I'd recommend this book: [link]
There are, of course, lots of other comparative religions books, and Wikipedia is honestly not a bad starting point, if you're willing to look through footnotes and such.  When you say "paganism" you probably mean Neo-Paganism, which is actually an umbrella term encompassing lots of different groups drawing from different traditions.  So you could start there, look into the different groups, and go from there.
A better question is to ask yourself "Do I need a religion".

One step at a time.
^ *thanks. I'm off to college soon, so this thread probably came from the "I need/ want to find out who I am" thought.
It's a valid question, but I think before you jump into the deep end it's better to re-evaluate what schools of thought/ religion/ philosophies you actually agree with or find value in. And even then, you don't have to commit to one completely at all, it's still possible to find your own middle road by picking values/ beliefs from various different systems. Good luck on your introspective journey. :nod:
Universal Unitarianism might be a good thing for you? The concept of it is really fantastic. It's an organization that actually promotes freedom of religion without the consequences of being judged by another branch of religion. Basically no matter who you believe in or what, we can all get along because we're really all searching for one thing :)

This is the Unitarian Universalist Assoc. website: [link]

It might help you explore faith a bit more easily instead of everyone going "MY CHURCH IS BETTER!"
Don't pick a religion because you 'like the concept of it'.

I like the concept of heaven and hell but I know it's bullshit.
Searching for a label is idiotic. You don't need to spiritually follow any specific organized branch. Believe what YOU believe in and stop worrying about what other people will call you.