Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 68

looking for a 'religion' to call my own

:iconvalandore:
Valandore Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Hello all, I'll keep this kind of short and to the point. I was raised christian but I do not believe in one being creating the universe. I am agnostic because I don't want to say I know for a fact there is no god/godesses. I don't like how some things in religious writing are unrealistic (like the whole story of adam and eve), but I guess that's how many religions started, so I guess I have to get used to it. I enjoy science a little too much.Okay by now you've noticed this isn't short at all, but I've looked very briefly at pagans because of the connection to nature and I like the concept of getting energy from yourself (self relying). Open to other suggestions. Thank you

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconty-calibre:
Ty-Calibre Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Taoism definitely fits the bill here.
:iconhtimsnayr:
HtimsNayr Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
If you must have a religion (I don't see why simple Agnostic Atheism wouldn't mesh with your views), I would suggest looking into Universal Unitarianism.

That has to be the most theologically free school to ever come out of western organized religion. Seriously.
:iconhtimsnayr:
HtimsNayr Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
*Unitarian Universalism. Not that it matters.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Try catholicism, its by far most personal religion i can think of. Everything with catholicism is on a one to one basis.
:iconmeaningofbread:
meaningofbread Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Try Buddhism. Their only real law is Don't be a Dick
:icongoldacorn:
goldacorn Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, there isn't much religions that support agnosticism and atheism. But first, check whether you need religion or not. If you find you don't really need religion, then don't have one. That's completely viable option, and probably the best. You then set your own beliefs, which is most probably better than adopting a pre-packet package.
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Do you just want to be part of a religion just so you have a label? Because from the sound of it your just trying to find a title, not a god.

also dont be a pagan. Just dont.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
You don't need to find a set of pre-packaged beliefs so that you can adopt the label. Just find out what's true and believe that.Much better than deliberately duplicating other people's mistakes.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
Out of curiosity, may I ask what you find most disagreeable with Christianity?
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Buddhism, taoism, sufism, etc
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist
And, God spake all these words, saying, "I am the LORD thy God", which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me. And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. . . Exodus 20:1-8."
*understood
What part of "Bible is bullshit" in OP have you not understand?
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Just keep looking, when something is right for you, you'll know.
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
There are many, MANY pagan religions. Some are nature based, some are not. I usually send people to The Witches Voice to start.

About.com has a pretty good selection on pagan paths as well.
Valandore Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Thank you for the replies everyone- You all have given me a lot to actually think about! I appreciate it.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional General Artist
You don't really state in your OP why you need a religion.  Maybe you do, maybe you don't.  Seems to me this should be your first question.  Why?

But addressing your search more specifically, you seem to think that reading the Bible literally is necessary for being a Christian.  There are many Christian denominations and many individual Christians who don't.
You also contradict yourself, stating that you don't believe in one being creating the universe, but then stating you're an agnostic who's on the fence about whether or not god exists.  Maybe you just worded that portion badly.

If you're looking for a general overview of world religions, then I'd recommend this book: [link]
There are, of course, lots of other comparative religions books, and Wikipedia is honestly not a bad starting point, if you're willing to look through footnotes and such.  When you say "paganism" you probably mean Neo-Paganism, which is actually an umbrella term encompassing lots of different groups drawing from different traditions.  So you could start there, look into the different groups, and go from there.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A better question is to ask yourself "Do I need a religion".

One step at a time.
Valandore Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
^ *thanks. I'm off to college soon, so this thread probably came from the "I need/ want to find out who I am" thought.
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's a valid question, but I think before you jump into the deep end it's better to re-evaluate what schools of thought/ religion/ philosophies you actually agree with or find value in. And even then, you don't have to commit to one completely at all, it's still possible to find your own middle road by picking values/ beliefs from various different systems. Good luck on your introspective journey. :nod:
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Photographer
Universal Unitarianism might be a good thing for you? The concept of it is really fantastic. It's an organization that actually promotes freedom of religion without the consequences of being judged by another branch of religion. Basically no matter who you believe in or what, we can all get along because we're really all searching for one thing :)

This is the Unitarian Universalist Assoc. website: [link]

It might help you explore faith a bit more easily instead of everyone going "MY CHURCH IS BETTER!"
:iconcatapultedcarcass:
CatapultedCarcass Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Don't pick a religion because you 'like the concept of it'.

I like the concept of heaven and hell but I know it's bullshit.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Searching for a label is idiotic. You don't need to spiritually follow any specific organized branch. Believe what YOU believe in and stop worrying about what other people will call you.
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sometimes I wish I had a known label for what I was for ease of conversation, but most of the time I think I'm better off being ambiguous. It forces people to think about things outside their own immediate reality.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
>reads the most arcane parts of the Old Testament literally
>assumes cultural evolution
>assumes three-liner OP is long
>thinks of religions in a utilitarian way

>implying Stanford Table Jump [link]
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Digital Artist
Why bother looking for a "religion", why not just be the person you want to be and believe in what you want?
That way you just piece together what makes sense to you.
:iconvicsor-s3:
Vicsor-S3 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Again, atheism is not knowing for a fact that there's no god. It's merely not believing in one.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Gnosticism.
:iconkaikaku:
kaikaku Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Good luck where-ever the road takes you. :heart:
:iconhorus2299:
Horus2299 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Personally I'd recommend taking a scientific approach to spirituality, studying the different religions and trying to find the collective message behind them. If you feel an attachment to Christianity or another tradition, that's fine, work with it. It's easier to approach the matter from a perspective you already understand rather than starting from scratch. Personally, I'd reccomend looking into the Church of Divine Science, Unity Church, or Religious Science (all part of the New Thought movement). The 88 precepts of David Lane are pretty interesting too, assuming you don't mind a bit of... race- oriented spirituality.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Photographer
no religion.
:iconlonglostsoldier:
longlostsoldier Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As an irreligious individual I'm hardly an expert, but I'm not sure one can pick and choose a religion; it's more like either you believe in that kind of stuff or you don't?

That said, Pythagoras had a pretty interesting idea for a religion thousands of years ago; he and some other guys adored whole numbers and perfect shapes and treated them as divine. Unfortunately for them, some heretic discovered the square root of 2 and disproved their religion in a puff of logic. If it weren't for that I'd say go for that one because it's so awesome.
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist
Believing in God doesn't required proof or evidence. It requires the Faith of God. And, it's not of your faith that makes you to believe in him. It is his faith, given to you as a "Gift." Only, then you can experience his existence, through your life. God has to impute it in your mind, heart spirit or soul. And, religion has nothing to do with the "Law Book of God, the Bible." Because, the Bible is the law book of God and it was written for mankind to follow and obey them.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I've subscribed to science and fact, via the Gospel of Sagan. I've got a link in my signature of his first message.
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Well what do you look for from religion? I mean, what things do you want from it? That's an important factor in deciding which one to participate in.
:iconironhold:
Ironhold Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
My recommendation would be to go to your local phone listings, figure out what churches are in your area, and then call them up in order to get the start times for their services.

From there, you begin the process of meeting with them as they have their services, going one by one just to be sure.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
That's not finding one to call home, that's simply checking the old deck to see if the ace of spades transformed into an uno card.
Ironhold Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
You'd be surprised what can happen in time.

If they're the same churches, then it's possible that the pastor and/or laity might have changed, especially if it's a congregation that serves an area with a large transitory population (such as a military base).

(And in case anyone is wondering, I'm an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, better known as the Mormons.)
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
But most churches have remained the same throughout the ages, no matter whom is at the helm. That's what I meant by the metaphor. Even if the deck changes, its still gonna be the same 52 cards you know.
Ironhold Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Actually, you might just be surprised how some churches - and even individual denominations - can change, ebb, and flow over time.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
But they still all are based on a singular book.
Ironhold Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Not always.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Sounds like you're interested in the truth.

I'd say walk the other way. You won't find anything.
Quite true. ha, I like this comment.
:iconshadowstone13:
ShadowStone13 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I would go about it the other way.

Don't look for religions or schools of thought that you like...
I'd start with introspection... What do you think/believe? Maybe take a look at some issues/etc (try taking an introductory philosophy course and get exposed to different ways to think about look at stuff) and figure out a few things.
Once you know where you stand and how you think, you can figure out what 'religion' you believe in.

Good luck with your spiritual/cognitive quest.
Also, thank you as well. I fail to actually step back and take a look at, like you stated, "What I think." I'm always rushing to find answers. That's always a formula for disaster.
:iconshadowstone13:
ShadowStone13 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
^_^ good luck

If you need any help with this stuff and don't have anyone else to talk to, feel free to message me. There's a lot out there to help you figure out what you need, but having someone to bounce ideas off of/challenge your thoughts really helps.
All that being said, I put this up at the wrong time then. This thread should probably be deleted.
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The religious stories tend to be used as more the myths behind the religion, and may not necessarily be meant to be believed as fact. Not to mention, liking science shouldn't really be a factor in having a religion or lack of. As another note, paganism isn't a religion or its own either, it's considered a blanket term for either non-Abrahamic religions or polytheistic/folk religions
Add a Comment: