Is humanism a niche for nuts?

All the humanists I know are stark raving mad.
Comments90
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Methinks you don't know the meaning of the word, if you think all humanists are crazy. Let me help:

"Humanism is a group of philosophies and ethical perspectives which emphasize the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers individual thought and evidence (rationalism, empiricism), over established doctrine or faith (fideism)." [link]

You basically called all agnostics, atheists, and even religious people who put greatest stock in logic and reason crazy. Good luck with that.
I take it that none of you who have commented so far are parents? Until you've brought life into this world you know NOTHING of what it is to be human. Maybe you've all met the wrong people. We are very fortunate to be humans. At least we can think about the world and what it means. Lots of people lay down their lives for total strangers. No other animal does that. I'd rather be a Humanist than believe in an invisible being in the sky. If we all learnt to appreciate ourselves and others then the world would not be in such a mess.
What? How does not being a parent mean I don't know anything about being the thing that I am? There's more to being human than child rearing. Also, altruism is not something unique to humans; it's a trait that's been observed in many other social animals.
You'll learn one day.
That's a nice non-answer ya got there. :v
I don't have to explain myself to you :v
True, you have no obligation to do so. Not that I'd expect a response with any actual substance anyway. :v
Oooh! I've been B*tch slapped :iconpervygargyplz:

Hope you thaw out sometime in 2013.
View all replies
This is what I mean - nuts!
Speak for yourself. But then you seem to hate the whole world at the moment.
I see what you mean. :v
Humanity literally has no value. We are nothing but a bag of meat sitting on a tiny insignificant blue rock.
And if it weren't for those you call raving mad, every single person on earth who couldn't accept that fact would have committed suicide by now.
In comparison to the Universe, the earth is nowhere and somewhere. Humanity has value because it is the custodian of this beautiful planet. People matter, earth matters and nothing else does.
But who gives us this value but ourselves.
Who is there to give it to us but ourselves?
No one, as of yet, but even a hypothetical external perspective would find us purposeless.
A hypothetical externality is just that hypothetical. It is something that Plato forgot.
Ok, what about Aliens or even God for that matter?
View all replies
Humanity is pathetic. Humanists, doubly so.
There's nothing more pathetic than a self-loathing human being.
Why would you even care of a self-loathing being?
When you comment, your just allowing him to troll you into a dead-end conversation.
1. It isn't a troll, it is a philosophical opinion. My comment is not meant to be a troll, but if that is what you find this, then either you or me have to improve on their understanding of the concept of cyberbullying.
2. Some people are self-loathing and finds nothing wrong with it.
3. I'm female.
1> The word troll has meaning outside the realm of the internets and my usage of it is not related to cyber-bullying. Should I have said 'pull'?

2>Because they can't look at themselves from an external 'external perspective'.

3>and I'm male... Why are we stating our genders?
1. A troll finds everything funny.
2. To loathe one's humanity is uncivilised.
3. She was called a he.
View all replies