IQ testing

mensa: members engage nutso science actually.

Do you think that Mensa is the greatest travesty against intelligence known to man too?
Comments13
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
IQ is nonsense, whats worse is the libtards came out with a thing called EQ not so long ago, EQ stands for emotional quotient, go figure.
I think MENSA mainly an ego boost and that they're coming to a massively premature conclusion that having a high IQ score makes them more intelligent than the rest of the population. As others have said, having a high IQ demonstrates that you perform highly on verbal and spacial reasoning tests, but to say that that equals "intelligence" ignores that intelligence is a very nebulous concept, and has far more measures than performance on standard tests (some psychologists have hypothesised that there are multiple "types" of intelligence, e.g. social intelligence, emotional intelligence, kinaesthetic intelligence, etc).

I'm sure at least some MENSA members are aware of this, but I worry about the effects of a sense of prestige and exclusivity when it comes to higher performance on what is at best an imperfect measure of intelligence, and at worst a meaningless exercise.

It's also so unpredictable it's not even funny. People can go up or down about 5 points depending on whether they've had a decent night's sleep or a good meal, not to mention nerves, whether one is familiar with the formula of IQ tests, etc.
I have no idea what Mensa is apart from a quick Google search sorry :p

I do think IQ testing has some grain of truth to it but I don't think it defines a person's intelligence. Example, I have a high IQ but find reading comprehension kind of hard and I REALLY SUCK AT MATHS.
The concept IQ is valid, I think, but it is true that there are flaws with it and it does not cover every kind of intelligence: only concrete skills like spatial reasoning, and not EQ or creative ability. However I do not think "EQ [or any other intelligence] is more important," I think they have equal merit. Saying one of the multiple intelligences is better than the others is just proof of a big ego.
IQ testing?

try your local Toyota/Scion Dealership XD

ok no J/K I do not know... i just wanted to do a car pun...
IQ is only one small way to measure intelligence.
I say that it is no way to measure intelligence.
A better way would be to test the seven (I think that's the number) intelligences.
I have to agree. IQ tests are a conspiracy to inflate their egos, the scores aren't actually constant and don't really measure genius, only whether you're good at tests and went to a good school recently.
Mensa is just a bunch of people advertising themselves as 'smart', and ego boosters.
If Ian Juby really is an actual member it might be.