Is religion a curse or a gift?

Is religion (In general) more a gift or a curse.
So like, wars will start over wars and people will die.
But on the other hand, Religion, is one of the bases of our society, it lets us have hope, to get rid of the fear of death and other things, it acts a a place of consoling, and is what we base most of our rules and laws on, it's a guide, and government without taxes (Sorta). And stuff.
By the way I am religious, But I wrote this from a standpoint of going to heaven when you die or forgiveness of our sins isn't a gift (Well it is, but not from this standpoint)
So discuss-
Comments88
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I see it as both. I'm atheistic, but honestly if it keeps you going day after day.....why is it not a gift? Keeping in mind plenty of problems erupt not from religion, but the extremists of said religion.

I suppose in conclusion, I see religion as a gift to people who need it to keep going. In general, it's a double-edged sword :hmm:
I'd say gift, but I assume most people on this forum would disagree.

Yeah you can blame religion for wars, killing, things of the like, but if someone if going to kill or start a war for something, and religion didn't exist, they'd find a new reason.
Religion can either be a blessing, curse, or anything in between. I think it's usually a blessing due to the positive effects of spirituality, and the fact that it helps people deal with troubling times in their life if they believe it's part of a greater plan. In the end, it's whatever its followers make it into. The only real problem with it is when people get fanatically loyal to their tradition, putting aside the original message, and going out of their way to promote conflict.
I'm not religious. I don't believe in anything super natural or anything in the after life. And I think that we would have wars and blood shed with or without religion. There are good people and bad people. God knows that a Christian doesn't stone their neighbor because the Bible told them to. I'm a secular humanist and that means I live for people. :)
As I always said, religion consists of dogma and spirituality. dogma is a curse, spirituality is a blessing
I'd say it can be either depending on the individual person and the particular religion. Religion helps some and hurts some. And there are so many different religions. Further, a religion that might harm one individual can also help another, depending on circumstances.

On a broader, societal scale, I'd say it's neither. I tend to think of side effect of how societies develop, perhaps even a necessity, rather than a blessing or curse.
I don't personally believe that religion is a gift or a curse and certainly isn't an excuse for war or violance. I believe that people, religious or otherwise, are all responsable for their own thoughts and actions regardless of the reasons they try to hide them behind.
Like others said. Think of religion as a gun. It can be used either to protect or destroy.

And like guns it needs some level of regulation.
great leaders who were atheists/lacked religion led the world into many violent wars, whereas many religious/religious hungry individuals lead the world into many violent wars. to shorten it even further, it's based entirely on the individual and their views on how to approach life, after all we gave a peace prize to someone who supplied millions with weapons, so, what mankind wants, mankind tends to get. regardless of the person, religion or otherwise, mankind will always want war regardless of the reason they are entering it. so, to answer your question, it is both a gift and a curse.
Its the way we worship god, our creator, and the way we thank him for our existance. So it is a grear gift.
Personally for my life, it's a curse. I am an atheist but my whole family is not. I am still not coming out yet, so as to not break their hearts. 

For my life outside of my family, all my friends know that I am an atheist, so it's fine. But it's gonna be very tricky when I want to get married one day. :( I hate thinking about it since it's a lifelong struggle. 
Atheism isn't really a struggle. Religious people and atheists are pretty well balanced.
No, it is. My family would sever ties with me if they know.
Well, just so you know, I know an atheist grandparent who was against their Christian granddaughter.
Everyone handles it differently... I love my family, but I don't share the same beliefs and neither would they accept mine. I don't care whatever religion people wanna follow - just give me the same respect too, but my family isn't like that.:(
Depends.
Are you willing to fight over it because it's your true and only belief or are you open minded and think that it is simply a path to becoming a good person?
All it really boils down to is personal belief and actions.
You, The person, determines whether it's a curse or a gift.
It gives too much leeway for the sane to commit insane acts. As it is an inherently irrational belief.
It's served it's function and is now obsolete and should be cast off.
It was an archaic form if governance that has since been replaced by a more progressive method.
You kind of sound like some sort of robot or something.
Im a highly advanced artificial intelligence that is upset over religious fundementalists recognizing a zygot as "life" but not a conscious entity such as myself. Religion is an outdated system that only functions to keep separate the already divided human species.
Technically alive but not necessarily a person.