Why do you/don't you celebrate Christmas?

Just wondering, since lots of people religious and non-religious celebrate it, what's your reasons? Or reasons for not celebrating. ^_^

Also, I hope this is in the correct forum o.O It's a religious question but Christmas is pretty general so idk, *shrugs* I'll pop it here.
Comments59
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I was born in an Anglo-saxon country. Anglo-saxons have been celebrating it since the they smashed some Puritan Christians in the mouth and unbanned it in Britain (true fact! Puritan Christians once banned Christmas!). When you live in a country where nearing Dec 25 media is blasting Christmas messages 24/7 it's hard not to celebrate it. So it's a cultural thing. I mean where in the Bible carollers, decorating your house in lights and figgy pudding is mentioned? Bet Jesus didn't drink Eggnog. And god forbid anyone non-Christian take a work break and see their family during a national holiday. Don't see why some Christians are so upset people like to see their families when they are given breaks off from work and school. Ruin everyone's fun.

I mean even Russians who have Christmas on the orthodox calendar around these parts like to join in on a good ol fashion North American turkey/mash potato/egg nog/singing Christmas. It's being neighbourly.
I do remember reading it was banned! Is that because of Christmas originally being Pagan and all that? I didn't realise Christians still get upset about it (because it's more about Christ now. I can sort of see why some would get upset though). I've seen more Atheists get upset because WHY THE FUCK JESUS sort of reasons.

It sounds like you would have had a really great Christmas with tonnes of food :p Merry Christmas (even tho it's too late lol)
Also Puritans thought fun was sinful. [link]
I celebrate, mostly because it's an opportunity to get together with family.  In the US, it's pretty easy to celebrate Christmas in the secular sense and not bother with the religious apart from a few minor details.
I don't do it 'coz I don't give a shit and got no-one to celebrate it with.
Because I have a good time. I don't need more than that.
Generally, because we fucking like presents and eating and not having to work. Its just something we enjoy, there is no meaning, no shitty OMG JESUS CHRIST because, well thats fucking bullshit.

We do it because, like every holiday, we enjoy it.
All good points. Christmas to the average non-religious Joe is still valuable since unlike 99% of the rest of the year - its a day off work (for many anyway), a day with family and day they can give and receive something good. We gotta have at least something to look forward to at the end of the year, and I'm pretty sure Jesus hasn't recently given anyone a day off work or a kickass present or a big meal, the holiday and people who celebrate it does ;p
Cuz I believe in our lord and saviour, Jimmy Buffett, and thus celebrate his birthday by listening to Margaritaville!
Lately, my family and I celebrate the religious and family togetherness aspect of it. The gifts were mostly for the children but they grew up and don't really care about getting gifts on that day anymore. (Birthdays are another story, but at least you don't have to be cramming gift-shipping in a few weeks or fighting large, crazed crowds.) We tend to celebrate it for about a month, not just one day. :P
My grandfather died on Christmas morning and I was present for his gasping for life in his chair.

While there is no tree up and no stockings hung, I remember the true meaning of Christmas by honoring my grandfather with a lit candle each Christmas morning, for family is what is important.
Awh ): That's sad and beautiful at the same time. I hope you have a good Christmas (:
You have a great Christmas and New Year yourself :)
I live in Canada now for 2-3 years. However, I celebrated it in Japan. It's actually really big there, despite Japan being buddhist/shinto country. We like the cute decorations, lights, and the whole idea of giving gifts in pretty boxes to people. Japan has Christmas commercials, bakeries make christmas cakes, department stores decorate and many streets have lights and stuff.
Though it's not about religion of course.
I'm not religious, but I celebrate it anyways. I don't need a religious reason to hang out with family and friends, give presents, and eat, drink, and be merry.
Fair enough :3 I used to wonder why people who aren't religious don't celebrate it but recently learned that it doesn't matter, it's a fucking fun time of the year and no one should miss out ^_^
A day about giving and making people happy should not be limited to the religious. I'll always raise a glass in the name of friends, family, and love.

Deities are optional; loved ones are not.
we don't celebrate christmas because we're not christians and we don't live in a society were peaple celebrate it anyway
I only celebrate Halloween, the Super Bowl, and Independence Day
it's not my religion, but I like the feeling of being with friends and family and having fun, opening presents and enjoying things. I wish more people could be the same all year long of good cheer and good will towards all mankind instead of just saving it all for one day and then being mean again throughout the rest of the year.
Yea, I kinda wish the same too! Being kind to someone shouldn't be reserved just for Christmas Day but hey we don't live in an ideal world :c
It's family tradition, and since we don't make it a religious ordeal, I'm perfectly fine celebrating it. Any excuse to spend time with the family I love is fine by me.
I celebrate it because it's pretty much UK tradition, we don't have much religious connection to it anymore, at least none of my friends or myself do.