Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Why do you/don't you celebrate Christmas?

:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Just wondering, since lots of people religious and non-religious celebrate it, what's your reasons? Or reasons for not celebrating. ^_^

Also, I hope this is in the correct forum o.O It's a religious question but Christmas is pretty general so idk, *shrugs* I'll pop it here.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I was born in an Anglo-saxon country. Anglo-saxons have been celebrating it since the they smashed some Puritan Christians in the mouth and unbanned it in Britain (true fact! Puritan Christians once banned Christmas!). When you live in a country where nearing Dec 25 media is blasting Christmas messages 24/7 it's hard not to celebrate it. So it's a cultural thing. I mean where in the Bible carollers, decorating your house in lights and figgy pudding is mentioned? Bet Jesus didn't drink Eggnog. And god forbid anyone non-Christian take a work break and see their family during a national holiday. Don't see why some Christians are so upset people like to see their families when they are given breaks off from work and school. Ruin everyone's fun.

I mean even Russians who have Christmas on the orthodox calendar around these parts like to join in on a good ol fashion North American turkey/mash potato/egg nog/singing Christmas. It's being neighbourly.
:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I do remember reading it was banned! Is that because of Christmas originally being Pagan and all that? I didn't realise Christians still get upset about it (because it's more about Christ now. I can sort of see why some would get upset though). I've seen more Atheists get upset because WHY THE FUCK JESUS sort of reasons.

It sounds like you would have had a really great Christmas with tonnes of food :p Merry Christmas (even tho it's too late lol)
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Also Puritans thought fun was sinful. [link]
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
I celebrate, mostly because it's an opportunity to get together with family.  In the US, it's pretty easy to celebrate Christmas in the secular sense and not bother with the religious apart from a few minor details.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't do it 'coz I don't give a shit and got no-one to celebrate it with.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Because I have a good time. I don't need more than that.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Generally, because we fucking like presents and eating and not having to work. Its just something we enjoy, there is no meaning, no shitty OMG JESUS CHRIST because, well thats fucking bullshit.

We do it because, like every holiday, we enjoy it.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
All good points. Christmas to the average non-religious Joe is still valuable since unlike 99% of the rest of the year - its a day off work (for many anyway), a day with family and day they can give and receive something good. We gotta have at least something to look forward to at the end of the year, and I'm pretty sure Jesus hasn't recently given anyone a day off work or a kickass present or a big meal, the holiday and people who celebrate it does ;p
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Cuz I believe in our lord and saviour, Jimmy Buffett, and thus celebrate his birthday by listening to Margaritaville!
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Lately, my family and I celebrate the religious and family togetherness aspect of it. The gifts were mostly for the children but they grew up and don't really care about getting gifts on that day anymore. (Birthdays are another story, but at least you don't have to be cramming gift-shipping in a few weeks or fighting large, crazed crowds.) We tend to celebrate it for about a month, not just one day. :P
Add a Comment: