Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Why do you/don't you celebrate Christmas?

:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Just wondering, since lots of people religious and non-religious celebrate it, what's your reasons? Or reasons for not celebrating. ^_^

Also, I hope this is in the correct forum o.O It's a religious question but Christmas is pretty general so idk, *shrugs* I'll pop it here.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I was born in an Anglo-saxon country. Anglo-saxons have been celebrating it since the they smashed some Puritan Christians in the mouth and unbanned it in Britain (true fact! Puritan Christians once banned Christmas!). When you live in a country where nearing Dec 25 media is blasting Christmas messages 24/7 it's hard not to celebrate it. So it's a cultural thing. I mean where in the Bible carollers, decorating your house in lights and figgy pudding is mentioned? Bet Jesus didn't drink Eggnog. And god forbid anyone non-Christian take a work break and see their family during a national holiday. Don't see why some Christians are so upset people like to see their families when they are given breaks off from work and school. Ruin everyone's fun.

I mean even Russians who have Christmas on the orthodox calendar around these parts like to join in on a good ol fashion North American turkey/mash potato/egg nog/singing Christmas. It's being neighbourly.
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I do remember reading it was banned! Is that because of Christmas originally being Pagan and all that? I didn't realise Christians still get upset about it (because it's more about Christ now. I can sort of see why some would get upset though). I've seen more Atheists get upset because WHY THE FUCK JESUS sort of reasons.

It sounds like you would have had a really great Christmas with tonnes of food :p Merry Christmas (even tho it's too late lol)
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Also Puritans thought fun was sinful. [link]
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
I celebrate, mostly because it's an opportunity to get together with family.  In the US, it's pretty easy to celebrate Christmas in the secular sense and not bother with the religious apart from a few minor details.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't do it 'coz I don't give a shit and got no-one to celebrate it with.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Because I have a good time. I don't need more than that.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Generally, because we fucking like presents and eating and not having to work. Its just something we enjoy, there is no meaning, no shitty OMG JESUS CHRIST because, well thats fucking bullshit.

We do it because, like every holiday, we enjoy it.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
All good points. Christmas to the average non-religious Joe is still valuable since unlike 99% of the rest of the year - its a day off work (for many anyway), a day with family and day they can give and receive something good. We gotta have at least something to look forward to at the end of the year, and I'm pretty sure Jesus hasn't recently given anyone a day off work or a kickass present or a big meal, the holiday and people who celebrate it does ;p
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Cuz I believe in our lord and saviour, Jimmy Buffett, and thus celebrate his birthday by listening to Margaritaville!
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Lately, my family and I celebrate the religious and family togetherness aspect of it. The gifts were mostly for the children but they grew up and don't really care about getting gifts on that day anymore. (Birthdays are another story, but at least you don't have to be cramming gift-shipping in a few weeks or fighting large, crazed crowds.) We tend to celebrate it for about a month, not just one day. :P
:iconwesmeadow:
Wesmeadow Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
My grandfather died on Christmas morning and I was present for his gasping for life in his chair.

While there is no tree up and no stockings hung, I remember the true meaning of Christmas by honoring my grandfather with a lit candle each Christmas morning, for family is what is important.
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Awh ): That's sad and beautiful at the same time. I hope you have a good Christmas (:
:iconwesmeadow:
Wesmeadow Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
You have a great Christmas and New Year yourself :)
:iconk-koji:
K-Koji Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
I live in Canada now for 2-3 years. However, I celebrated it in Japan. It's actually really big there, despite Japan being buddhist/shinto country. We like the cute decorations, lights, and the whole idea of giving gifts in pretty boxes to people. Japan has Christmas commercials, bakeries make christmas cakes, department stores decorate and many streets have lights and stuff.
Though it's not about religion of course.
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm not religious, but I celebrate it anyways. I don't need a religious reason to hang out with family and friends, give presents, and eat, drink, and be merry.
Fair enough :3 I used to wonder why people who aren't religious don't celebrate it but recently learned that it doesn't matter, it's a fucking fun time of the year and no one should miss out ^_^
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A day about giving and making people happy should not be limited to the religious. I'll always raise a glass in the name of friends, family, and love.

Deities are optional; loved ones are not.
:iconxalalax:
xAlalax Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
we don't celebrate christmas because we're not christians and we don't live in a society were peaple celebrate it anyway
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
I only celebrate Halloween, the Super Bowl, and Independence Day
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
it's not my religion, but I like the feeling of being with friends and family and having fun, opening presents and enjoying things. I wish more people could be the same all year long of good cheer and good will towards all mankind instead of just saving it all for one day and then being mean again throughout the rest of the year.
Yea, I kinda wish the same too! Being kind to someone shouldn't be reserved just for Christmas Day but hey we don't live in an ideal world :c
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist
It's family tradition, and since we don't make it a religious ordeal, I'm perfectly fine celebrating it. Any excuse to spend time with the family I love is fine by me.
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
I celebrate it because it's pretty much UK tradition, we don't have much religious connection to it anymore, at least none of my friends or myself do.
:iconvicsor-s3:
Vicsor-S3 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Tradition :shrug:
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
I was raised Baha'i. I never celebrated Christmas as a child, and I don't see why I should start. It's a bloody annoying holiday.
:iconfenrir1987:
Fenrir1987 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm Pagan and so celebrate Yule. I also can't stand Christmas, all the fuss for 1 day. It irritates me actually. And for that reason, I am now off to bed.
:iconmagicmoonbird:
MagicMoonBird Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We celebrate it more out of tradition, with my family together, enjoying eachothers company, having a good time and having a great Christmas Dinner together :la:
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My family's Jewish. My mom is Catholic, but not very. However, she loves Christmas, and as a child her Christmas trees sucked (like, popcorn strings).

When I'm on my own, I'll probably be celebrating Christmas at family get-together, but I don't think I'll have a Christmas tree or stockings in my apartment. I probably will have Christmas decorations though, because I love holidays. And I'm starting to kind of like the idea of Christmas as a cultural holiday, in addition to a religious one; I really wish our society could be more laid back about Christmas. I wasn't alive in the 30s or 40s, but I'm under the impression that people just celebrated it, and didn't really think much about the technicalities of whether a less religious or not Christian person should celebrate it.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
I celebrate Squidmas. We decorate a big squid. Next year we won't put it next to the radiator.
What the o:
Each to their own :p
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
it's more of a tradition than a religious holiday in my family. this is the time when my brothers&sisters, my aunts&uncles, my cousins, nephews, and my grandma get together in one house to celebrate this one time a year. keep in mind that in my family there are Mormons, Catholics, protestants, atheists, and Buddhists, so it's not really about the religious aspect of Christmas.
That's a huge mix o: sounds like a huge family tho haha.
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
kinda :D it's not that we're huge though, we're an average family I guess, it's more like we are very bonded, there isn't anyone that is "the hated" of the family. everybody hangs out with everyone, from brothers and sisters to second and third cousins :aww:
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
It is a good time for a party, but it has no religious connection in our family.
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Simple, for fun & an excuse to have the whole week off!
Just a typical Asian country where Christian population is microscopic, we celebrate it just for fun & to make the new year celebration longer. I kinda jealous those hill tribes, their new year celebration is about in the middle of January, those folks parties like a beast!
Christmas is all about fun & presents, nothing more! (Unless you're a Christian of course)
Although, some companies will still tell their employees to go to work as usual, sad for them, it's just because their bosses don't celebrate Christmas.
:iconmcdenis09:
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All you do is waste money on ungrateful shit heads. Want some holiday spirit outta me? How about I suck a candy cane down to a point and stab you in the throat. I have money in pocket, I'll leave it there.
Not sure if you need holiday spirit or anger management o.O
:iconjeweledscarab:
JeweledScarab Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
A good excuse to get that warm fuzzy feeling when I give people presents and to eat some noms. And a good exercise in patience as I try not to murder my family.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Unbelieving, passive celebration.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
It's the end of the year. I'm not sure I really need a reason to celebrate.
:iconzinc-tails:
Zinc-Tails Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I celebrate/observe two variants. First and foremost is the Americanized rampant consumerist one. Lots of presents and food, plus a good time to gather with friends and family.

I observe Yule, but don't do much in the way of practicing. Didn't do anything this year really, but I typically try and at least preserve some of the old pre-Christain customs. It was first and foremost a Pagan festival, and I try my best to remember and honor that fact.
What's Yule exactly? I've only read about it in Harry Potter :s

It sounds nice, the way you go about it (:
:iconzinc-tails:
Zinc-Tails Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yule is sort of a continuation of the older pre-Christain Pagan traditions. The rather varied nature of Paganism means there isn't really a set way to celebrate it. Some Nordic heathens for example have a 12 day long celebration beginning at the solstice. You'd have to find information on each branch of Paganism for more detailed explanations on their various celebrations. I've never been very dedicated to the holidays, mostly because I can never really bring myself to keep to traditions. Raise a glass to my ancestors, and look forward to the light half of the year, pretty much all I do.

An interesting note, many of the modern traditions in Christmas come from these older Pagan ones. They were integrated in by early Christians, most likely as a way to facilitate conversion and to keep native traditions.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
I get presents and get to see relatives. Not bad for a day
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
A) Religious reasons.
B) As of late, it has become one of the more important family holidays, especially with my sister and I off in college and not coming home often.
:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I grew up living with my grandparents, who are Christian, so I guess that's more or less where it started for me, but it's not like we're all intensely religious (I wouldn't even count myself as religious; I went to church and all because Nana told me to :lol:). It's just a nice family holiday for me, more or less!
:iconiriastar:
Iriastar Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
I'm non-religious, and I celebrate it because it's fun. :la: I don't feel weird nor anything.
Haha I agree :p I celebrate for religious reasons but I also find it heaps of fun, and family all gets together and yea :3
:iconiriastar:
Iriastar Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Exactly. :D It's one of the few days of the year I get to share with my family. I think it'd be silly to stop celebrating it just because I'm not a Christian.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
I am one of the rare few here who celebrate Christmas for the memorial of the birth of Christ that it is. I expect the usual detractors, and will not reciprocate.

I am forever saved by the coming of our Lord through the birth of this child, Emmanuel. Praise God, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Add a Comment: