"If she can see it, she can be it."

I came across this PSA a month or two ago, and today I thought about sharing it with you. Can anyone guess the philosophical implications of the key phrase "If she can see it, she can be it"?
Comments38
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I disagree with that phrase. She's only going to 'be it' if she was already born 'it' to begin with or if she really, really, really wants to be it. And I mean like...come hell or high water, she's gonna be it. Because you gotta practically ruin some lives to get some of the jobs around here, let me tell you. If you don't have the drive for it, you aren't going to get it.

If your son or daughter wants to be something when they grow up that they picked up from television and you don't agree with it, you can't just say no, but you can't say yes, either. You have to handle the issue with care and hope for the best. Otherwise, you might not have a son or daughter anymore.
SEE JANE.

"If she can believe it, she can do it."
7 hours of watching tv a DAY??? Do these girls not go to school????
Maybe crappy children's tv shows wouldn't be a problem if she made contact with the outside world on a regular basis?
One girl, for example, could watch TV for one hour, while another could watch at least 30 minutes.
The third girl would then have to watch 19 hours and 30 minutes of television a day for it to add up.
But the video said 'on average.' Doesn't that mean the girls watch around 7 hours of tv a day?
Women and girls gotta get more interesting and entertaining if the portrayal of them in kids' media is gonna change. I think media more so follow trends and attitudes than create them.
Really? Media has a huge influence on peoples' values. Kids especially are trying to learn their role in the world through observation, and there really aren't many female characters out there that are fleshed out beyond "girlfriend" "love interest" "mother" "sister" or "sex object". That goes for grown-up entertainment as well, maybe moreso.
I think that's why its good that you have interesting female leads in the stories you create.
Thanks but I'm still guilty of the Smurfette Principal in the main cast of four :crying:
ha! I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Our society influences us too - its near impossible to be completely without influence on the roles of men and women, the numbers represented etc. I think the key is to be intentional about it. You wouldn't want to be so concerned with "representation" that you miss out on telling the story that you really want to tell - what is in your heart. I think if anything, we can learn from the Jane video to be just a little more mindful of what's going on...
I'm guessing this: what the slogan means is that if our girl sees as much diversity in the employment of women as depicted in children's entertainment, her chances of becoming a police officer, judge, doctor, and other "male" occupations could increase.
If there are more women characters depicted on TV than men, could things get better? Ask the organisation responsible for the PSA some questions about the quote that I'm talking about.
So a blind child can't be anything? This is discrimination!1!!1!!
It doesn't mean that the blind girl can't hear anything that she wants to be.
Then the phrase should be changed to "If she can see, hear, touch, smell or taste it, she can be it" Minorities shouldn't be excluded.
a child will imitate what they see, "seeing" here figuratively meaning "observing", since most of a childs characteristics and learning are mostly trough observation
I think the moral of the story is: make sure she only sees the kitchen.
I think the moral here is this: make sure she sees far more things other than the kitchen.
Then install a window...
I was making a funny.
Nothing's too serious for a joke. Pull that stick out of your ass.