Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 429

Science takes as much faith as religion

:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I heard this saying the other day, thought it could spark an interesting debate on here.
Thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontoadsanime:
Toadsanime Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
There's no debate, that's just simply silly. Science isn't based on the faith of anything, it's based on evidence, testing and study.
kausawolf Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you done the testing personally yourself?
Toadsanime Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No. Are you implying that I have faith because I have faith in that the scientists aren't all just part of a conspiracy to blaspheme God and are in fact lying to us?
I'm implying that unless you've done every scientific experiment yourself, you have faith that they are presenting the facts to you completely and without tainting them.
Just like salmon with faith believes their priest/pastor is presenting them the correct facts, you have faith in the scientists to present you the correct facts.
Except from that a scientist really doesn't have any reason to lie about what they've discovered and they don't just make wild claims without explaining them and showing the evidence of it.
As far as you know.
I think your just arguing because you don't want to just accept you have faith in somefin.
As far as I know they have no reason to lie and explain/show evidence of their findings? No, the difference here is rationally and logically there is no reason for them to lie about what they've found. To suggest otherwise is just to have doubt in science over some ridiculous, unfounded and illogical conspiracy. Scientists do show their evidence for what they're claiming and they do explain it -- there's no debate to this. If any new discovery is made and reported, an explanation for it and/or evidence is always given. Always. If not, the claim does not get made because that's not how science work. Science is not some big, strange conspiracy.

I really just don't view it as a blind faith in the same vain as religion.
I never said blind faith, I said faith.

You bream reelly angry about this, maybe you should clam down fur a bit.
(1 Reply)
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Lump together a body of scientific community, then also lump together a body of theological community, and they are functionally not that different from one another: Dogma. Faith comes into play, because of the institutional need to support dogma. A scientific upstart is going to have just as hard time selling his alternative ideas as his theological counterpart. While bad theology is entirely possible, so can bad science. (A very good example of bad science today can be seen from dogma found in obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.) Bear in mind that both pursuits are conducted by people and thus will carry over their peculiarities like cherry-picking.
:iconposeidonsimons:
poseidonsimons Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
science is based on observation, hypothesis, experiment, confirmation/rejection
religion is based on observation, goddidit, the end
Add a Comment: