Happy holidays from an Atheist celebrating X-mas

Well it was not christian to begin with so I don't see the problem really.
Personally it is just an excuse to gather the whole family and give gifts to whose close to me.

Some people seem to think I can't do that if I don't celebrate Jesuses B-day at the same time. I don't see why?
Comments104
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
All this babbling about what Christmas is or isn't or what it is or isn't about is ridiculous. Christmas is about whatever the hell the people celebrating it want it to be about. People celebrate it differently all around the world. For some people it's entirely about Jesus, for some people it's about food and family and gifts. Why does anyone give a shit who celebrates it and what it's about for them?
Christmas isn't really about Jesus anymore anyway.
(Wasn't he really born in spring or something?)

I know a lot of Atheists that celebrate actually.
Christmas is about a lot of things. It's not fair to say that Christmas isn't about such-and-such, it can be about whatever the people celebrating it want it to be about, and to some that is Jesus.
Christmas is no longer a religious holiday or else the focus would be on Jesus Christ but no we have Christmas three, Santa Claus, Frosty the snowman xD they are NOT biblical figures.

And since its not even Jesus his birthday and we focus on none-Bibical figures wouldn't it be kind of insulting to Christians?

It's more of a culture thing anyway. Look at how many None-Christian countries like the Netherlands and Japan celebrate Christmas,
there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion you just enjoy your food & family
My family is religious, so for them it's a religion thing, but I'm agnostic, so I just enjoy the food and the warmth and the gifts and the family time. <3
In Belgium, some over-the-top secular people wanted to rename Christmas "plaisir d'hivers" (Winter pleasures) and get rid of the Christmas tree for being too christian... a frigging tree whose origin isn't even christian... seriously...

I perfectly embrace the commercial aspect of the event and only celebrate Christmas for the food and the presents but that's a really silly move imho.
We're celebrating the food, presents, party, decorated trees, greetings, costumes and carols part.

Just not the "Christ" part. :dummy:
Christmas is rad. Christianity is a bummer

PEACE OUT DUDES

*read previous text in surfer dude voice
The way I see it, Christians modeled Christmas the way they did around the pre-existing Pagan holidays so that it could become more popular. Now it has. It's become part of our culture, which is exactly what they wanted, so now that non-believers in that culture want to adapt and celebrate the holiday they have no room to complain.
Celebrate Yule instead.
The fact that the early Church chose to locate the celebration of Jesus' birth around the time of a midwinter celebration -- such is near-universal in European cultures -- and that it inevitably picked up some as secular features some elements from those other celebrations, does not make it "not Christian" to begin with.

Midwinter is a great time to have a party. The days are short and dreary. When better to throw a huge log on the fire, and feast and drink with family and friends? If you're not religious, so what?

You should know that Xmas is actually a MORE respectful way to write "Christmas", not less as some might have you think.
We celebrated this time of the year long before christianity, so they can't claim that it is their's. Many Sun gods had "birthdays" around this time, since the days are about to get longer.
Yes, the time of year was celebrated.
You had the various Pagan holidays. Christmas began as the Christians wanting a "Me too!" celebration. Secular Christmas is the atheist's "Me Too!" celebration.
Indeed. Why not use this time to celebrate family and stuff? I mean, we have done it in the name of lots of things for a very long time, so why stopp now?
Oh I've made peace with Atheists celebrating the holiday and claiming it for their own.
Thanks for that. I've become too used to people acting like 1) If I don't celebrate it I'm heathen scum and 2) If I do celebrate it I'm heathen scum. It's nice to have people actually be nice about it. I just want everyone to be happy and well, and this has always been good family time for me.

Merry Christmas SherbertTCat!
So much bad stuff happening lately, bickering over who celebrates a holiday doesn't matter.
Well, it was meant as a rethorical question that supported the underlying "Do as you wish" theme I read in your comment.
I am cool with calling it Christmas. Even though I don't celebrate the solar winter holidays period.
if you're not Christian, you're not actually celebrating Christmas.

...you're just celebrating "mas" XD
By that logic, I can't call cheerios "cereal" because I don't believe that wheat is made by the roman goddess Ceres.