Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 103

Happy holidays from an Atheist celebrating X-mas

:iconthemarcher:
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Well it was not christian to begin with so I don't see the problem really.
Personally it is just an excuse to gather the whole family and give gifts to whose close to me.

Some people seem to think I can't do that if I don't celebrate Jesuses B-day at the same time. I don't see why?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
:iconxmasballs01plz::iconxmasballs02plz:
Merry Christmas
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All this babbling about what Christmas is or isn't or what it is or isn't about is ridiculous. Christmas is about whatever the hell the people celebrating it want it to be about. People celebrate it differently all around the world. For some people it's entirely about Jesus, for some people it's about food and family and gifts. Why does anyone give a shit who celebrates it and what it's about for them?
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Christmas isn't really about Jesus anymore anyway.
(Wasn't he really born in spring or something?)

I know a lot of Atheists that celebrate actually.
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Christmas is about a lot of things. It's not fair to say that Christmas isn't about such-and-such, it can be about whatever the people celebrating it want it to be about, and to some that is Jesus.
:iconkell0x:
Kell0x Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Christmas is no longer a religious holiday or else the focus would be on Jesus Christ but no we have Christmas three, Santa Claus, Frosty the snowman xD they are NOT biblical figures.

And since its not even Jesus his birthday and we focus on none-Bibical figures wouldn't it be kind of insulting to Christians?

It's more of a culture thing anyway. Look at how many None-Christian countries like the Netherlands and Japan celebrate Christmas,
:iconalphasunking:
Alphasunking Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion you just enjoy your food & family
:iconhelloabakkus:
helloabakkus Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My family is religious, so for them it's a religion thing, but I'm agnostic, so I just enjoy the food and the warmth and the gifts and the family time. <3
:iconkaput6no:
kaput6no Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Digital Artist
In Belgium, some over-the-top secular people wanted to rename Christmas "plaisir d'hivers" (Winter pleasures) and get rid of the Christmas tree for being too christian... a frigging tree whose origin isn't even christian... seriously...

I perfectly embrace the commercial aspect of the event and only celebrate Christmas for the food and the presents but that's a really silly move imho.
:iconalzircon:
alzircon Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
We're celebrating the food, presents, party, decorated trees, greetings, costumes and carols part.

Just not the "Christ" part. :dummy:
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
Christmas is rad. Christianity is a bummer

PEACE OUT DUDES

*read previous text in surfer dude voice
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Digital Artist
The way I see it, Christians modeled Christmas the way they did around the pre-existing Pagan holidays so that it could become more popular. Now it has. It's become part of our culture, which is exactly what they wanted, so now that non-believers in that culture want to adapt and celebrate the holiday they have no room to complain.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Celebrate Yule instead.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The fact that the early Church chose to locate the celebration of Jesus' birth around the time of a midwinter celebration -- such is near-universal in European cultures -- and that it inevitably picked up some as secular features some elements from those other celebrations, does not make it "not Christian" to begin with.

Midwinter is a great time to have a party. The days are short and dreary. When better to throw a huge log on the fire, and feast and drink with family and friends? If you're not religious, so what?

You should know that Xmas is actually a MORE respectful way to write "Christmas", not less as some might have you think.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
We celebrated this time of the year long before christianity, so they can't claim that it is their's. Many Sun gods had "birthdays" around this time, since the days are about to get longer.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes, the time of year was celebrated.
You had the various Pagan holidays. Christmas began as the Christians wanting a "Me too!" celebration. Secular Christmas is the atheist's "Me Too!" celebration.
Indeed. Why not use this time to celebrate family and stuff? I mean, we have done it in the name of lots of things for a very long time, so why stopp now?
Oh I've made peace with Atheists celebrating the holiday and claiming it for their own.
:iconkaikaku:
kaikaku Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for that. I've become too used to people acting like 1) If I don't celebrate it I'm heathen scum and 2) If I do celebrate it I'm heathen scum. It's nice to have people actually be nice about it. I just want everyone to be happy and well, and this has always been good family time for me.

Merry Christmas SherbertTCat!
So much bad stuff happening lately, bickering over who celebrates a holiday doesn't matter.
Well, it was meant as a rethorical question that supported the underlying "Do as you wish" theme I read in your comment.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
I am cool with calling it Christmas. Even though I don't celebrate the solar winter holidays period.
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
if you're not Christian, you're not actually celebrating Christmas.

...you're just celebrating "mas" XD
:iconborogovelm:
BorogoveLM Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student General Artist
By that logic, I can't call cheerios "cereal" because I don't believe that wheat is made by the roman goddess Ceres.
:iconacjub:
acjub Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That doesnt really work, seeing as it has different names in different countries. In Norway it is simply called Jul. Same Holiday though.
:iconkell0x:
Kell0x Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
If you think Christmas is still 100 percent a religious holiday then you are very much mistaken.
Unless you are trying to argue Santa Claus is a bibical figure then you have no room to dicuss.

Besides Jesus wasn't even born during the winer. xD
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
If you're Jewish, then you shouldn't have Saturday off, because that was only made part of the weekend so the jewish could practice their day of rest.

Oh, that's right. Both ideas are fucking stupid.
:icontimlavey:
TimLavey Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
"Mas" is the part of Christmas that has all the food, dancing, decorations, presents and family get-together, right? The "Christ" part is what? The nativity scene and a church visit. Have a merry Christ, then. You're allowed to celebrate a little mas in case it gets boring.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
If on Christmas you're at home you're not celebrating mass.
This is true! I came from a family that packed up and went to Catholic Mass on the morning of, or the night before. And believe you me, if there is one group who takes Christmas protocol super cereal, its the Catholics.
Unless you're religious(that includes pagan), you're not celebrating a Mass either. So in the case of an atheist, they are just celebrating.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
Time to celebrate the birth of our lord and saviour, Jimmy Buffet! :dummy:
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Is there a discussion here?
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
And? Christmas is more cultural than religious.
But a lot of that culture comes from religions. Almost everything cultural associated with the holiday, has a religious tie of some sort.
A lot of things stem from religion, but you wouldn't say they are religious.

The western world has the weekend because of Christians and Jews, but do you have to be religious to participate in the weekend?
No, but that doesn't negate it's roots either.
I never said it wasn't originally religious, but currently it can be solely cultural.
True.
Whatever pagan holiday that the Christians emulated wasn't Christian to begin with, but Christ's Mass was very much all about Christ.
Also, the X is an old world way of abbreviating "Christ".
:iconlittle-wild-one:
little-wild-one Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Meh, I don't care whether I'm being wished a happy christmas from a christian, an atheist or anyone else, as long as they don't use it as another opportunity to advertise their stance on the subject. Gets a little tedious. Just enjoy the damn party.
:iconkalinka-shadows:
Kalinka-Shadows Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
I celebrate X-mas as a party. Quite literally.
You'll be celebrating it as multiple people?
WITH Multiple people. I hold a dinner with my spouse, and a themed LAN party, Borderlands is this year's theme.

2006: Warzone 2100.
2007: Urban Terror
2008: Duke Nukem 3D
2009: Doom 3.
2010: Quake 4 (and Descent).
2011: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
2012: Borderlands.
Oooh, now that's a party!
Yup! And I cook the Turkey and such.
:iconj4b:
J4B Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have a nice holiday to you too sir.

I don't really care about the religion as long as I can spend time with the family and enjoy good food and good company.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Whenever I hear about Christmas not really being a Christian holiday, I always remember this clip from the Boondocks: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhfZ4BqklU8&t=5m33s
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Why didn't it turn into a link? Hmm...
:iconmkr:
mkr Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
No http://

dA has a dumb parser
Add a Comment: