Why do you belive or disbelive in evolution

okay I have read a lot of posts on here where People slate creationist and keep mentioning how evolution proves them wrong and having heated arguments with name calling where no real points are getting raised so I am confused.

How does believing in a god change the fact of evolution?

if you don't believe in evolution at all why not?

if you believe evolution is an uncompleted theory with not enough facts why do you believe this.

hopefully we can have a decent conversation and I can find out why people believe what they do.

but bearing in mind this is the net i am sure we will get some trolls and people who just want an argument so this is how i will work.

if you insult me or anyone else I don't care how good your so called points are I wont bother acknowledging them.

if you don't agree with someone else points feel free to say why you don't agree but don't call them names.

now hopefully we can all learn something thought im sure the trolls will see this as bait.
Comments627
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
This is my teen mind speaking but, I feel that God put us as a fish first and gave us the resources to evolve, just like the big bang I believe it happened but I am convinced that God caused it.
I believe in evolution because atm it's the best explanation we have. Besides, scientists have found many "proofs" that strengthens the theory of evolution :)
DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS. IT'S JUST HOW I THINK OF IT.

I believe evolution is a possibility. It could be how humans were created.
How else could evolution work? It would take far more than three or four billion years for single-cell chemosynthetic organisms to evolve into humans, with our complex brains, perfect balance of chemicals for emotion, and optimal anatomy for our role on earth. It's like taking a grain of sand and expecting it to turn into a self-sustainable nuclear power plant that interacts with its customers entirely on accident.
I have similar views on the Big Bang.
>It's like taking a grain of sand and expecting it to turn into a self-sustainable nuclear power plant that interacts with its customers entirely on accident.

I don't know about a grain of sand, but if you take a pile of hydrogen, that will actually genuinely happen spontaneously. Just saying...your argument underestimate/fails to grasp the power of large numbers...which is what makes evolution and much of modern science possible.

VE.
I understand that, but I was using a visual example.
So was I, but since it seems better we be straightforward in order to convey my meaning and clear any confusion between us, well, here we go.

My point stated more clearly is that while we understand "the everyday world" and the "everyday math" that comes with it in a very intuitive fashion, the world of the very large, the very small, the very long (in time), the very short (in time) are all rife with activities/possibilities that escape our "everyday experience".

So that a statement such as It would take far more than three or four billion years for single-cell chemosynthetic organisms to evolve into humans, with our complex brains, perfect balance of chemicals for emotion, and optimal anatomy for our role on earth. is only a reflection of the difficulty we may have in intuitively grasping those things that occur at different scales than the one of our daily lives.

As such, we can not trust our intuition, but must rely on other tools. So that statement of yours appeared to me as too "anthropocentric", hence my use of a (scientifically correct) adjustment to your argument showing that when expanded to other scale where suddenly, it makes sense, where suddenly the strange not only can, but does occur.

Have a nice evening,

VE.
I believe in evolution for the sheer fact that there is no way in hell god managed to make all those species in one afternoon. That and creationism it doesn't explain how species adapts, mutate, become extinct and why the dinosaurs are supposed to have feathers on :stare:
Creationism doesn't really explain anything at all. Only that everything just sort of popped into existence by the will of an impossible being because... magic.
lol that's technically an explanation. A shitty one but an explanation. I would love to be able to use "...because MAGIC!" as an answer =P
Well in my opinion its really a pointless debate. I mean I believe that we all went through evolution, but I don't think we were monkeys at first, i just think we adapted so much to our environment. But does it really matter? What good does this do for our future? I mean I constantly see people argue over the smallest of things, even though they have more in common than they think. It just seems that people always want to prove that they are the right ones and they are on top all the time and honestly that is just unnecessary.

I mean instead of talking about something that happened millions of years ago, shouldn't we be talking about the world and how to mmake it better? I mean there is so much shit going on all over. The shootings that happened, the fact that alot of people don't have the chances to get a decent meal, the fact that right now people are dying in the Middle East for their freedom, like we Americans did 200 years ago and no one is helping them. The fact that the world is always in constant conflict... I mean isn't that more important? Why live in the past?
For hundreds of years people have always been fighting over the smallest of things. Europeans fought over Protestantism and Catholicism and caused so many deaths, even though they are still both Christian and believe in God. They believe in the same thing yet they fight. And not just Christians, other religions too it is seen constantly. Buddist monks in Burma want all the Muslims there to die even though they both could just live in peace.
Is there a point in living in the past? Why cares if we were in monkeys or weren't monkeys? What matters is here and now and our future that is what we should be focusing on. We should instead of fighting strive for a better tomorrow, where less people are starving, where people can get together in talk about what they love, where no one has to die to have a peaceful life.
THAT IS WHAT MATTERS! THE NOW, NOT THEN!
"Is this really a fact which definitively proves a human-chimp common ancestry? It is our contention that the percentage is misleading. In fact, when the data is examined more closely, the human-chimp genome comparisons turn out to contradict what would be predicted by evolution."

"In reality, the genetic differences between humans and chimpanzees are probably greater than 2%. More recent studies have shown that the true genetic divergence between humans and apes is probably closer to 5%. Thus, the "over 98% similarity" argument is probably an overstatement."
1. we did not evolve from monkeys. We are more closely related to apes, and apes and humans share a common ancestor.

2. what good does it do? To argue actual science over religious dogma in a science context? Well, for starters, the massive breakthroughs that we enjoy daily in medicine, agriculture, and pretty much any field where biology is a factor you mean?

3. it didn't just happen millions of years ago, evolution is a continous process. It hasn't stopped.

4. there is no problem with both caring about proper science and humanitarian issues. They are often linked.

5. These arguments are rearely if ever about which particular ancestor you think we had. It is almost always about science objecting to teaching unfounded religious ideas instead of science in science classrooms. You want to believe that we did not all evolve from a common ancestor? You want to think that the most solid scientific theory we have is innacurate? Go for it, most people really wont care, as long as you don't try to spout nonsense in a classroom or actively obstruct actual science.

5. Please, don't be one of those creationists who cant distinguish between evolution and the theory of evolution. They are not synonyms.
Turns out we DID come from monkeys! [link]
To add to what eggain said, some languages do not even differ the words 'ape' and 'monkey.' And even some English text-books call the entire ape line monkeys. What defines 'monkey' is pretty arbitrary, since there are no traits an ape has that a monkey does not. Including tail-less monkeys. Aside that, I agree.
"Monkey" isn't a taxon though, it's not a real scientific classification. Two separate monophyletic groups are referred to as monkeys. So I don't think it's unreasonable to call our tree dwelling primate ancestors monkeys.
Woah when did i bring religion into this? I just think that arguing about it is pointless.
My point is that the only time scientist actually have to argue this, it's because of the lack of comprehension from the creationist fringe who, invariably, argue from a faith perspective. They attempt to bring religion into science classrooms, scientists point out what a horrible idea this is.

The argument isn't over the "durr, I dont have a monkey for an ancestor"-malarkey, it's a fight to keep religious indoctrination from gaining a foothold in schools, specifically science classrooms. That would be disastrous and is well worth opposing at every turn.

Again, you don't want to think evolution happends, your call. Do you by any chance use any vaccinations?
I'm not saying that evolution doesn't happen, im only saying that their is no point in arguing about it. But last time I checked schools don't really oppose teaching evolution anymore, well except catholic schools. But I see what u mean
Again, the arguments usually happend because evangelical christian groups attempt to put creationism into schools curriculums, more specifically science classes.

That argument should be taken evety single time, because the alternative is downright dangerous.
(shrug) I just think that there are other priorities thats all
View all replies
I think you really misunderstand why we spend so much time learning about evolution.

If we can discover what causes mutations, we can discover how to stop bad ones Diseases i.e cancer and allergies e.t.c.

Also if we stop assuming that the appendix and wisdom teeth and all these are useless things we inherited from the past that go wrong a lot and actually investigated why they go wrong we might be able to stop the appendix bursting e.t.c.

and we might also be able to figure out how the appendix might works to stop diarhoia and other diseases which could help people in country's that don't have sanitation and maybe save millions of lifes.

So this debate is far more important than you make out!

also the only way to make the future better is to look at the mistakes of the past.

if we always live in the now and present and never look back we will never see all the mistakes we keep making!

so we need debates about this to show people how old Darwin's ideas are and how science is updating and could possibly give us answers if scientists stooped arguing the pointless bits and started concentrating on the facts in-front of them.
Alright, then we can learn about evolution. I must haves stated it wrong, then. I don't think learning about Evolution is bad, I just think its a waste of time to fight about it. I just personally feel that there are more important things to prioritize ourselves in. I mean sure evolution might have help in knowing about our biological development. But arguing if we were or weren't monkeys isn't helping anyone or anything develop. That's my take one it. Believe it or dont thats ur call.
well that's kind of true but in order to learn more about evolution we have to learn why people believe we came from monkeys and all that and then see if monkeys do get the same diseases as us.

This way we can try and pin point exactly what animals with what Genetics get what diseases then start examining what causes them.

Unfortunately however if you tell anyone we might of came from an ape it sparks a debate.
Also the debate it sparks is based on really old science that's really out of date.

so i designed this forum to try and find out why people believe or disbelieve and what evidence they have so i could investigate it myself.
(shrug) i just think arguing about it is pointless and endless.