Simulacrum - the internet - ego death

Is it possible to experience ego death on the internet?

We have all of these avatars, and you are so far from your true persona on these anti-social networks and forums etcetera. There is all these second life virtual reality type things.

I have been spending some time in this place called X radio:
[link]

And people there keep switching their avatars and sometimes its almost as if you realise that you are just part of a hive mind. A kind of ego death play, play within the play. Does that make sense?

It's similar to the Anonymous movement I suppose.

Are we moving towards a total ego death, like the technological singularity or something?
Comments109
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ummm i have to dissagree with the whole "its sort of like the anon movement" sence its evolved into a more politcal stance than anything else. Sure it had its roots in online culture on 4chan. But what about LULz sec or some of the other "trollish" subcultures?

If anything people use the intenet to escape from the world to an extent. And sometimes blow off steam(witch i'm not to fond of haters doing it somtimes) or just find a common ground to talk about like i'm doing now for you. Mind blowing isn't it? :rofl:
Also, statistics show that people tending towards many RL friends tend towards having many VL friends, and vice versa, though there may be some changed interactions the medium does not define the actor, its other actors that define them.

Interesting you mention Anonymous, because if anything, anonymous agents acting with others anonymously could go into that direction.

oh and I figure someone already stated my answer more or less, but I like having a non dumb question unrelated to religion for a change.
Well put.
It's not like a hive mind will just be born over night. But the internet is undoubtedly one rung up the ladder.
Ultimately it will be humans decision to participate or not.
Humans aren't set up to be hive minded. you can tell by all the arguing going on everywhere on the internet.
They are more likely to be parasites in some form of higher consciousness..
You've watched too much sci fi.
Im not sayin' it was aliens.... But ....
Or has sci-fi watched too much us?
Actually that's a scary thought. I may just be onto something.
"We have all of these avatars, and you are so far from your true persona on these anti-social networks and forums etcetera."
That's one hell of an assumption. Wrong too.
I could argue that we are often more truly ourselves on the internet, because it is less restrained than most irl situations.

The entire premiss for your post is faulty.
Ok sorry.

Just a thought.
No need to apologize. :)
Have you spent any time in that place though?

Weird stuff happens there, I swear to god, its like being on drugs.
having had a taste of ego-death, i'd say no. as for the hive-mind stuff, that goes on with or without active participation in it. that is to say, people with egos intact create and participate in hive-mind activities, often with no awareness of it.
ffffffuck. i feel like i just got sucked into a wormhole.

i tried googling some of the art pieces (which are dated from the 70s) to no avail. that's damn odd...
Its gotta be a hoax. But an insanely crafted one.
oh wait, that false-prophet site randomly redirects you to stuff. i thought the eht-namuh site was the same as false-prophet, but the latter redirected me to the former...

i wonder how a redirecting site is related to what facerabies was saying about a "satire" magazine, if at all?
I don't know. I fucking hate him.
One minute he is going on about the conspiracy and the next minute he says he is working for them. I want to know what he knows that I dont know.

Also. Check out this thread on 4chan:
[link]
View all replies