Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

What is the opposite of being pragmatic?

:iconsidetrack1:
I've heard that the opposite of being pragmatic is being an idealist,which I guess in a way would mean being more into the abstract side of things.However in my opinion,I find it much easier to explain and give examples of what pragmatic means,is and how a pragmatic person is like then I would to describe an idealist besides the conventional notion of someone who does stuff and always keeps a lofty dream in mind.Is there a word for the opposite of a pragmatic?.If I proposed a word like "abstractionist" would that seem like a good way to to describe the opposite of a pragmatic?.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmacker33:
macker33 Dec 15, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Silly.

I would call atheism the opposite of pragmatic.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Unpragmatic.
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Dec 11, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
My personal definitions without looking at a thesaurus:

Pragmatist: "Looking at the facts, option 1 is much more likely to prevent the bad thing than option 2."
Idealist: "But then this other bad thing would happen. Wouldn't it be nice if we went with option 2 instead and everything turned out perfectly?"
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
pragmanual?
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
shit. that's the opposite of the prag-o-matic™

:iconronpopeilplz::icontellplz:New from Ronco!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Radical.
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
Whimsical?
:iconlbthecc:
LBtheCC Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Agreed.
:iconmathildasdoubel:
MathildasDoubel Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd say the oposite of being pragmatic, is to be lead by your emotions. :shrug:
:iconragerancher:
Being pragmatic means you do what is necessary to complete a task. In it's extreme it is little more than cold calculations devoid of any emotion or morals to achieve the goal. Think of how machines would work. The opposite is an idealist, someone who may not do what is necessary because it opposes any ethical code they may have or other pre-conceived views. It's a more emotional response.
Add a Comment: