Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

What is the opposite of being pragmatic?

:iconsidetrack1:
sidetrack1 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I've heard that the opposite of being pragmatic is being an idealist,which I guess in a way would mean being more into the abstract side of things.However in my opinion,I find it much easier to explain and give examples of what pragmatic means,is and how a pragmatic person is like then I would to describe an idealist besides the conventional notion of someone who does stuff and always keeps a lofty dream in mind.Is there a word for the opposite of a pragmatic?.If I proposed a word like "abstractionist" would that seem like a good way to to describe the opposite of a pragmatic?.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Silly.

I would call atheism the opposite of pragmatic.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Unpragmatic.
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
My personal definitions without looking at a thesaurus:

Pragmatist: "Looking at the facts, option 1 is much more likely to prevent the bad thing than option 2."
Idealist: "But then this other bad thing would happen. Wouldn't it be nice if we went with option 2 instead and everything turned out perfectly?"
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
pragmanual?
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
shit. that's the opposite of the prag-o-matic™

:iconronpopeilplz::icontellplz:New from Ronco!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Radical.
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Writer
Whimsical?
:iconlbthecc:
LBtheCC Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Agreed.
:iconmathildasdoubel:
MathildasDoubel Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I'd say the oposite of being pragmatic, is to be lead by your emotions. :shrug:
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Being pragmatic means you do what is necessary to complete a task. In it's extreme it is little more than cold calculations devoid of any emotion or morals to achieve the goal. Think of how machines would work. The opposite is an idealist, someone who may not do what is necessary because it opposes any ethical code they may have or other pre-conceived views. It's a more emotional response.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Being a democrat these days.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
How so?
Isn't it the republicans that are trying to get us all to think that they can increase revenue without raising taxes and support the subsidization of insanely profitable companies?
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Yes. Democrats think you can raise taxes while killing the economy which in effect will decrease revenue. All that without addressing the insanely high spending that kills any revenue gains.

Great example.
The largest portion of government spending is the military contract spending budget followed by corporate subsidies. Both are incredibly bloated a more importantly almost completely unnecessary BUT it's the conservative republican stance that neither should be cut at any cost and would rather the American people suffer for it instead.
Government should provide for the common defense. That is pragmatic.

And why do subsidies exist? To promote growth. Why is growth important? Because it raises revenues while decreasing the burden of the paying portion of the citizenry. That is pragmatic.

But I don't agree that conservatives think you should never cut costs in either.

But idealistic is thinking that if you make $1 by selling hotdogs at $2, then all you have to do is sell hotdogs for $2,000,000 and you can support your $4,000,000 crack habit. Democrats have a crack problem.
The corporations that tend to receive far more money than any social programs and many of them so large and make so much profit there is absolutely no need for them to be receiving subsidies.
And as for the military budget there is no reason for it to be so much larger than that of the next 35 countries military budgets combined.
What needs to be done is for the government to stop catering to the rich, raise taxes on the richest 2%, stop bailing out banks, refund public education, raise minimum wage and draft a workforce to repair the national infrastructure.
See more ideals.

Raise minimum wage, you raise the costs of goods that tend to affect those on minimum wage. You can't artificially increase pay without a totalitarian control of pricing and profit.

And actually, the US spends more on social programs than subsidies and military spending combined.

The US does more with its military than anyone else. We have more humanitarian troops deployed across the world than most countries have combat forces.

And again, in pragmatic terms, what is a possible effect of promoting certain businesses? Growth. What raises more revenue, creates more jobs, reduces the need for government entitlements, as well as a laundry list of issues? Growth.

Do you realize that our record federal revenues came from Bush after he cut taxes? And while we were engaged in the height of two wars there was only a $151 billion dollar spending deficit?

This is what happens when you cut $2,000,000 hot dogs back to $2.00, people actually buy them, business grows, and so does tax revenue.

Reality vs. idealistic liberals that want to hurt the rich despite the negative impact to their own social message.
That statement reminds me of how the founder of Papa Johns would rather make a majority of the jobs part time rather than raise the price of their pizzas 10 cents to cover employee medical insurance. Insurance that he could easily pay for from his profits but of course you have to cater to the rich.

Like I said the vast majority of the military budget goes to military contractors rather than the troops themselves.

You promote new and smaller businesses not well established ones otherwise you're just feeding the already obese companies.
This is why the republican party is bought out by big business. They keep the cycle of misappropriated wealth in each other's pockets.

At the same time it's when corporate rates are at there highest is when job growth is at it's highest as opposed to what the corporate lobbyist wants you to believe. You need only look at the statistics from the Clinton years.
(1 Reply)
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, that'd be about right. Ironically enough, it's also correct philosophically, to some degree.
:iconsidetrack1:
sidetrack1 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
@picturefragments Hmmm,interesting response picturefragments (& you to stoneman123) but what about someone like a passionate pure mathematician?.I mean they would certainly be doing things that are abstract,would prob.have some romanticism in them that keeps them passionate & of course they have a job!).What then,eh?.
:iconshobonimaster:
shobonimaster Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Honorable maybe?
:iconpicturefragments:
picturefragments Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A pragmatist does whatever is necessary to get the job done. I would say the opposite would be a hippie, who doesn't even have a job, won't get anything done, and expects others to do what is necessary.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think "romantic" might be a better alternative. It's possible to have idealism tempered with pragmatism, after all. Being "romantic" however could be used to imply the abandonment of realistic expectations in favor of an idealized fantasy.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Being citamgarp.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
My thesaurus says idealistic. But that seems insufficient to me.
Add a Comment: