Would you make your kids believe in God?

Question for everyone: Is it ok to tell your children what to believe? Should you tell them to believe in God? or a god? or no gods? or leave it up to them?

I'm an Athiest, but I was born a Christian.
Interestingly enough I'm thinking about raising my kids to be Christian, because I know Christianity raised me in a way that gave me a strong moral background until I was old enough to think for myself.

Well, it will be a looooong time til I have to decide anyway :D

Thanks!
Comments240
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I will not tell them to believe in any god, but I will also teach them to research everything they read. Even if it is a scientific paper, I would encourage them to do research about it and see if it is true or not a hoax (there are many of those) and who supports it. Even who funded the research matters
Then again they might not even care which for me will be considered a failure
I think people should at least teach them anyway. I think it really make things easier then making too much freedom for a kid to decide. They can do that when they are older if they wanted. Sure its not out of force, but teaching them in the way they should go, as the bible commands.

If there was too much freedom, how can you bond with your child? I think it gets a little disconnected and harder when a child does not believe in the same thing.
They'd probably be atheist or agnostic. I'll leave them to their own devices. Considering I'll be leaving in one of the least religious states, in one of the most progressive cities, and the fact that if my children show interest in a religion I will actually educate them, unlike parents who ignore the majority of a religion for their own convenience. Either way, they won't be Christian.
Yes, I would.

I don't see a problem with it. If what I believe is false
then nothing happens to us and we just die knowing a
lie right? I would just tell him/her to not try and force
what she/he believes upon someone else.
If I were to actually have a child under my care, I'd teach them the morals that would guide them later in life, not a specific belief. They can believe what they want, and should be able to choose when they're ready. I mean, I know I hated it when Christianity was shoved down my throats by my family, since I never believed in it in the first place. No wonder I'm presently a pagan!
You could teach them to be moral without teaching them what to believe with regards to a religion. I grew up with pretty much no input with regards to religion from my parents and I think I turned out fine. :-)
But if they want to follow a certain religion then I would let them.
I'd personally let my children decide.
Telling them in what you believe will automatically lead them to this religion, too, as they nearly imitate everything their parents do.
So I'd not teach them ANY religion, everyone would like to decide theirselves in what/whom to believe.
They have plenty of time afterwards, it's their decision, not the decision of their parents, nor from anyone.
I was raised Christian myself, and I do think Christianism(and Buddhism + some other religions) convey some important values, but it's the message that's important, not saying: I'm Christ, I'm Buddhist, I believe in whatever, etc.

and don't forget: raising them to any religion will not make them better human, it's your way of education that will^,^
lead by example, also guide & teach them (im christian so kinda 1 sided) but it is your influence. give them books to read bible, apocrypha, phsudioapocrypha, book of Mormon & whatever u would like them to build inspiration & character off of. do research on how the diff sects came to be & also how the Bible came to be put together. i have a few friends who r of diff beliefs or none at all.
take them to a few diff churches so they can get that exp. & choose themselves
I think when I have kids, I might send them to church if they want to go or until they don't like it. I wasn't brought up in any specific religion but I did go to church with friends everynow and then. Baptist I believe. I also studied paganism/ wicca for the longesy time after moving away from those friends and not going to church. I say it was good for me because I kind of got an insight and gained respect for all religions out there without havint to label myself as any of them. When I have kids, I think I would just leave it up to them. Explain things when asked, or try to anyway. That's a pretty good question.
I would try do my best building their sense of right and wrong. I would tell them truth and consequences, but not in religious way, in moral way.

If I ever had children, I would teach them history and science, as well to reason. I would let them form their opinion and debate about it.

I don't know how about you, but it sounds a bit better for me than dedicating my child's life to some mysterious phantom.

If they choose to be religious - let it be.
of course along with all those stories, we would be teaching them about what actually happened in history and the science behind the fun stuff in stories too :D
I would not tell my kids they HAVE to believe in a certain thing, but my husband and I would teach them about what we believe. Bible stories are great for teaching about good morals and behavior. But so is a lot of other stories and legends from other cultures. Without force, kids naturally follow parents' likes. Simply starting at a very young age leaves an imprint.
Good question! :D

When I have kids I would not force my beliefs into them. Discovering the truth about God just happened for me and so I believe I don't need to. I would share to them my opinion about the Word of God however the decision of accepting Christ I would have to leave it all up to them. I want to think that they'll find the truth for themselves. Theist here and the future father of my children is a theist too and it's most likely that they'll pick up from us what they will eventually believe in especially if they come to look up to us as their loving parents.
"Interestingly enough I'm thinking about raising my kids to be Christian, because I know Christianity raised me in a way that gave me a strong moral background until I was old enough to think for myself." Here's the whole if you're Christian you're obviously a moral person thing. That's bullshit to the highest extent, I have met some scum who were Christian and I have met some really nice atheists, who grew up in atheist homes.
Sure, usually the nicest one are the closes one to you and also could be your enemies to highest extent.
What I would do if my kid thought something, such as god or gods were real, would be to sit them down and ask what they thought. After letting them think it through I would tell them to find evidence on their belief. I would teach my kid to try to question things, as oppose to telling him yes or no.
Course you should, you are letting your children down if you dont at least support the positive idea of God. Be mistaken all you want but dont pass your own mistakes on.
"Be mistaken all you want but dont pass your own mistakes on."

This is the exact reason you SHOULDN'T pass on religion.
Probably be best if you didnt have any kids either.
It really would be a shame if there weren't more idiots like you in the world.
If I don't then I may as well just leave my child on Richard Dawkins' doorstep so he can molest it like he does to all atheist babies.

Bet they didn't tell you that about him on Wikipedia.