Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 239

Would you make your kids believe in God?

:iconaworldofhope:
aWorldofHope Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Question for everyone: Is it ok to tell your children what to believe? Should you tell them to believe in God? or a god? or no gods? or leave it up to them?

I'm an Athiest, but I was born a Christian.
Interestingly enough I'm thinking about raising my kids to be Christian, because I know Christianity raised me in a way that gave me a strong moral background until I was old enough to think for myself.

Well, it will be a looooong time til I have to decide anyway :D

Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconposeidonsimons:
poseidonsimons Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I will not tell them to believe in any god, but I will also teach them to research everything they read. Even if it is a scientific paper, I would encourage them to do research about it and see if it is true or not a hoax (there are many of those) and who supports it. Even who funded the research matters
Then again they might not even care which for me will be considered a failure
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student General Artist
I think people should at least teach them anyway. I think it really make things easier then making too much freedom for a kid to decide. They can do that when they are older if they wanted. Sure its not out of force, but teaching them in the way they should go, as the bible commands.

If there was too much freedom, how can you bond with your child? I think it gets a little disconnected and harder when a child does not believe in the same thing.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
They'd probably be atheist or agnostic. I'll leave them to their own devices. Considering I'll be leaving in one of the least religious states, in one of the most progressive cities, and the fact that if my children show interest in a religion I will actually educate them, unlike parents who ignore the majority of a religion for their own convenience. Either way, they won't be Christian.
:iconnekutheookami:
NekuTheOokami Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, I would.

I don't see a problem with it. If what I believe is false
then nothing happens to us and we just die knowing a
lie right? I would just tell him/her to not try and force
what she/he believes upon someone else.
:iconschnee-fee:
Schnee-Fee Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
If I were to actually have a child under my care, I'd teach them the morals that would guide them later in life, not a specific belief. They can believe what they want, and should be able to choose when they're ready. I mean, I know I hated it when Christianity was shoved down my throats by my family, since I never believed in it in the first place. No wonder I'm presently a pagan!
:iconaviscelox:
AvisCelox Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You could teach them to be moral without teaching them what to believe with regards to a religion. I grew up with pretty much no input with regards to religion from my parents and I think I turned out fine. :-)
:iconaviscelox:
AvisCelox Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
But if they want to follow a certain religion then I would let them.
:iconthetoxiceden:
TheToxicEden Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I'd personally let my children decide.
Telling them in what you believe will automatically lead them to this religion, too, as they nearly imitate everything their parents do.
So I'd not teach them ANY religion, everyone would like to decide theirselves in what/whom to believe.
They have plenty of time afterwards, it's their decision, not the decision of their parents, nor from anyone.
I was raised Christian myself, and I do think Christianism(and Buddhism + some other religions) convey some important values, but it's the message that's important, not saying: I'm Christ, I'm Buddhist, I believe in whatever, etc.

and don't forget: raising them to any religion will not make them better human, it's your way of education that will^,^
:iconwquon:
wquon Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
lead by example, also guide & teach them (im christian so kinda 1 sided) but it is your influence. give them books to read bible, apocrypha, phsudioapocrypha, book of Mormon & whatever u would like them to build inspiration & character off of. do research on how the diff sects came to be & also how the Bible came to be put together. i have a few friends who r of diff beliefs or none at all.
:iconwquon:
wquon Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
take them to a few diff churches so they can get that exp. & choose themselves
:icontristencoy:
TristenCoy Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
I think when I have kids, I might send them to church if they want to go or until they don't like it. I wasn't brought up in any specific religion but I did go to church with friends everynow and then. Baptist I believe. I also studied paganism/ wicca for the longesy time after moving away from those friends and not going to church. I say it was good for me because I kind of got an insight and gained respect for all religions out there without havint to label myself as any of them. When I have kids, I think I would just leave it up to them. Explain things when asked, or try to anyway. That's a pretty good question.
:iconhelija:
Helija Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   General Artist
I would try do my best building their sense of right and wrong. I would tell them truth and consequences, but not in religious way, in moral way.

If I ever had children, I would teach them history and science, as well to reason. I would let them form their opinion and debate about it.

I don't know how about you, but it sounds a bit better for me than dedicating my child's life to some mysterious phantom.

If they choose to be religious - let it be.
:iconkatmomma:
Katmomma Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Artist
of course along with all those stories, we would be teaching them about what actually happened in history and the science behind the fun stuff in stories too :D
:iconkatmomma:
Katmomma Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Artist
I would not tell my kids they HAVE to believe in a certain thing, but my husband and I would teach them about what we believe. Bible stories are great for teaching about good morals and behavior. But so is a lot of other stories and legends from other cultures. Without force, kids naturally follow parents' likes. Simply starting at a very young age leaves an imprint.
:iconetheara:
etheara Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Good question! :D

When I have kids I would not force my beliefs into them. Discovering the truth about God just happened for me and so I believe I don't need to. I would share to them my opinion about the Word of God however the decision of accepting Christ I would have to leave it all up to them. I want to think that they'll find the truth for themselves. Theist here and the future father of my children is a theist too and it's most likely that they'll pick up from us what they will eventually believe in especially if they come to look up to us as their loving parents.
:iconqwertywithak:
qwertywithak Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Interestingly enough I'm thinking about raising my kids to be Christian, because I know Christianity raised me in a way that gave me a strong moral background until I was old enough to think for myself." Here's the whole if you're Christian you're obviously a moral person thing. That's bullshit to the highest extent, I have met some scum who were Christian and I have met some really nice atheists, who grew up in atheist homes.
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist
Sure, usually the nicest one are the closes one to you and also could be your enemies to highest extent.
:iconqwertywithak:
qwertywithak Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
What I would do if my kid thought something, such as god or gods were real, would be to sit them down and ask what they thought. After letting them think it through I would tell them to find evidence on their belief. I would teach my kid to try to question things, as oppose to telling him yes or no.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Course you should, you are letting your children down if you dont at least support the positive idea of God. Be mistaken all you want but dont pass your own mistakes on.
"Be mistaken all you want but dont pass your own mistakes on."

This is the exact reason you SHOULDN'T pass on religion.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Probably be best if you didnt have any kids either.
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
It really would be a shame if there weren't more idiots like you in the world.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Heck yeah,
:icontinoculars:
Tinoculars Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
If I don't then I may as well just leave my child on Richard Dawkins' doorstep so he can molest it like he does to all atheist babies.

Bet they didn't tell you that about him on Wikipedia.
Weird, last I checked priests have one of the highest child molestation rates of any profession...
:icongoldacorn:
goldacorn Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I am raising my kids without a heavy leaning toward any one religion. I myself spent more than a decade researching various religions and have collected my religious texts and educational materials in the process. I keep it out in the open, and don't try to keep them from it in ay way, its known in my house that if you have questions feel free to ask, or if you want to look it up on your own none of that stuff is off limits. if you can't find what you're looking for come to me and I will answer your question if I can, or refer you to a member of that religion that would likely have more information. I like to refer the kids to members of whichever religion they have questions about because I don't want my answers to be biased by my own beliefs.

as of now the kids don;t actively participate in any one religion, they go to temple or church or whatever applies on accasion with their friends sometimes if they want to. when they are old enough to make their own informed decisions they are free to, religion isn't something I believe should be forced on someone or indoctrinated into them from an early age. I think they should be made aware that religion is out there and be taught to respect the beliefs of others whatever they may be and whyever they may believe them, and then be allowed to pursue their own beliefs when they are ready and able to fully understand what they're getting themselves into.
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist
It's true in some cases. And, God do warns us, He said; "Let God be true and all men are Liars." That's why we can only trust the "Word of God of the Bible", where we can only find Christ for source of truth. Not in a congregations, religions, priests, pastors or teachers, etc. It's God who will teachs his people through his "Words and His Spirit." We read this truth in the book Hebrews, John and Ezekiel. . . . . . . .>>>>>>> ". . .And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying , Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. Hebrews 8:11. . ." ". . .It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. John 6:44. . ." ". . .Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. Ezekiel 36:25-27. . ."
goldacorn Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
he warns not to trust in the bible. all men are liars, the book was written by men. how do we know that the men were not lying? because these same men wrote that they were not.

if you don't mind my asking are you jewish?
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist
Because, every words in the Bible, came from the mouth of God, not man. The Bible also teaches, that it was written by the "Will of God", not man. And, I am not a Jew. I am an American.
No, the bible was written by a man.
goldacorn Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
how do we know it came from the mouth of god, how do we know it was by the will of god? because the men who wrote it said so, and all men are liars.

If you strive to be like Jesus perhaps you should convert, he was himself jewish after all.
:iconghostlymark:
GhostlyMark Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Idk, I'm a teen. The thought of having kids scare me
:icontinoculars:
Tinoculars Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
It's alright, you won't get pregnant if you only do it once. Remember, condoms are for nerds.
:iconghostlymark:
GhostlyMark Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
lol aha im a guy so...
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I was born and baptized Mormon purely because I had a friend that took me to church with her. My parents never forced any sort of religious beliefs on me and, as I got older, my beliefs changed. They never cared. Other members of my family do and some I think are actually in denial or don't know that I'm an atheist, but the point is my parents didn't. I don't really want kids and doubt I'll ever have them, but if I did, hell no I wouldn't force any sort of religious beliefs on them. Whatever they grow up to believe should be totally their choice.
:icondragonquestwes:
DragonQuestWes Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
People should let their children believe whatever the hell they want and everyone else should just STFU.

End of.
:iconskullwarrior13:
skullwarrior13 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Amen.
:icontitanium-alex:
Titanium-Alex Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
Well, when you get right down to it, most religions teach the same stuff. They have the same message: 'Treat other people how you want to be treated yourself.' EVERY religion I know of says to give to the poor, be charitable, not kill, not cheat, et cetera.
But I wouldn't bring my children up to be Christians. I don't like the Catholics way of thinking towards women, and although I know many Christians who thinks gays are just fine, there are alas many who think otherwise. I would just teach them what science has said - evolution and other such things - and if they want to choose a religion, hey, who am I to stop them?
I was brought up (not very strictly) as what I might call a casual Protestant, but now I'm wandering. I find appeal in the ideas of multiple gods - pantheons - and other things like that. Religions which don't believe in the whole 'holier-than-thou' stuff, and religions which don't teach people that The Higher Being Hates Gays.
Paganism just feels right to me.
:iconskyhndx:
skyhndx Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
Go to a rest home and talk to residents there who are never visited by anyone and ask them what they taught their children. Whatever you give your children they will give back to you when it matter the most, when you are old.
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist
How To Teach Your Children About God and Why?

I firmly believe that the most important and powerful education we can give to our children, is the knowledge of God, who is their Heavenly Father. The best way to teach our children about God, are from the word of God of the Bible, His holy books. The Bible is given to mankind, as the greatest teachings for learning to become like Jesus. Jesus Christ, set the perfect example of how to Live. We want to teach our children the ways of Christ...The Bible is the best how-to-book ever written, because it teaches us to follow Jesus Christ. When children are taught to focus their lives on following the teachings and example of Jesus Christ, their happiness in this life will increase tremendously. Think of all the pain and suffering an individual will spare themselves, by simply living true to the teachings of Jesus Christ. The Bible from start to finish - shows us exactly how important keeping commandments of God will be in our lives...

Throughout the Bible, man is commanded to live the laws of God. The Story of the Bible and it's message to mankind, is that when we live His laws - we are blessed and happy, but when we do not keep His laws...oftentimes very sad consequences occur. The Bible is a powerful tool for parents, in helping their children to learn how to make good choices. As they grow, and make choices - you are then able to help them see the consequences of their own choices. When children begin to understand that their personal choices - are what bring them either happiness or sadness in life, they will come to have faith that following the plan that Jesus wants them to - will always bring them happiness and peace.

When your children through their own choices to either follow Jesus or not follow Jesus -- will come to trust in Jesus Christ and exercise faith in His Words verus the teachings of the world. Unless children, from an early age develop this moral compass, it is much more difficult as they grow-up to be compelled to make good choices.

One of the most important responsibilities that we have as parents, is to teach our children - how to have faith in Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for us.

Christians believe that The Holy Bible is the "Word of God". Christians also believe that God is All Knowing - All Loving - All Powerful and Always... All Around Us!

When parents take the time to read the Bible as a family, or to read with their children individually - they place themselves in a very powerful teaching position...which is exactly where parents should be.

Taking the opportunity and beginning when your children are young - to teach them from the actual words of The Bible - we then are grasping what I believe to be "the golden years" for teaching as parents.

As parents today...grasp the opportunities to teach our own little ones - we must! God has preserved His word, miraculously - in the record known - as The Holy Bible.
:iconveronicarockstrom:
veronicarockstrom Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You can try, but in truth, you can't MAKE your kids believe anything. If you push too hard, they might push back, and lash out. I'd suggest a light touch when it comes to parenting and instilling beliefs.
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist
Agree, we cann't force our children, but we can introduce them to word of God of the Bible. "Because, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God." Then, we leave everything to God, whether their going to serve the Lord or not. But, through the faith of Christ, nothing is impossible.
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist
There's only one Creator in the universe and Creator of all life and His name is "Almgihty God" and we should teach our childred how to pray and teach them the 10 Commmandmenths in all public school. So, that they can be protected from being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful, etc., and so on. Maybe, with God's mercy this will prevent from any massacre shooting that is been happening in the public school. Because, this kids now this days has no more fear in God.

And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them...Exodus 24:12."

Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to "fear me" all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children...Deuteronomy 4:10."

And, thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down , and when thou risest up...Deuteronomy 6:7."

If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore...Psalm 132:12."

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven...Matthew 5:19."

Come , ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD...Psalm 34:11."

Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name...Psalm 86:11."

Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness...Psalm 143:10."
:icongdeeeelovr96:
GdeeeeLovr96 Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i wouldn't i would let them believe in what they feel is right. i was raised going to church every sunday, and now i don't even go anymore. i feel like i do believe in some things.... but it's sorta like idk right now im at a stand still ... but i wouldn't go pushing religion on my children. if they wanted some beliefs, i'd let them go for it
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist
You can still continue reading the word of God of the bible, every Sunday at your home. It doesn't have to be in a church. Remember, God is everywhere and as long as you keep the Sabbath Holy. Then, you can still receive the blessing of God.
:iconmrfeline:
MrFeline Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Present them with what people believe in a way that they can understand and is impartial, religion something that is often best left to personal choice. Exposing them to a number of different choices would make for the most balanced individual.
:iconggordons:
GGordonS Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You can't make anybody believe anything, you can set an example, but its up to them what they believe, that's what I was raised to think.
I think it could present some problems that you aren't a believer, learning Santa isn't real isn't fun, what about learning your parent doesn't believe in a religion they have been directing you towards?
Whatever you choose to do I think you will make a fine parent for the fact that you are concerning yourself with your children's future welfare!
:iconreesewhyte:
reesewhyte Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012   Digital Artist
I don't think it's beneficial to MAKE them believe in anything, really. They can believe whatever they'd like to. I'd just make sure to give them access to any resources they need to find whatever answers they seek, be it religious or otherwise. As long as their beliefs don't involve needlessly harming anyone or preventing the rights of others, I'm cool.
:iconkaput6no:
kaput6no Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012   Digital Artist
Teaching them to believe in God or to believe in the absence of God is the same for me: unwanted indoctrination.
They shouldn't even bother with these things before adulthood, they should be free to research and follow their own path on their own rythm

Afterwards, if they ever try to impose me their atheism/religion to me I guess i have failed as a parent then.
:iconafiend:
aFiend Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That's like asking if I'm going to make my kids believe in Santa Claus.

the answer is no, if you couldn't catch my drift.
Add a Comment: