Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 686

Why do people believe in God in the first place?

:iconeldynamite:
ElDynamite Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm not talking about the religious nuts who can't think for themselves.
I'm talking about the people who have logical sense and reason.

Before we even discuss all the contradictions of God, why don't we ask first, "Where is the evidence?"

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondanceandmakeromance:
DanceAndMakeRomance Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
I have no proof God exists, though my skepticism is the result no just on science, but a general question- Why does bad things happen? If there is a God, he must either not care or is twisted. But yeah, I see no proof, and if there is a God, I don't really give a damn. I live for myself first, and that isn't a bad thing. I like many of the teachings of religious figures; basically just be a good person. I think thats reasonable enough. I have friends who are devout and others who aren't. I shrug and say, "God is neither provable or applicable to me".
:iconkinoc-kun:
Kinoc-Kun Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
With no God, there would be no universe. Do you honestly believe that the entirety of the galaxies just randomly popped up one day with no cause? Even physics tells us all matter has to come from somewhere.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist
"Do you honestly believe that the entirety of the galaxies just randomly popped up one day with no cause?"

I can't think of any credible person who has ever claimed that there was "no cause".
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
The same reason people don't like Jews. Because something happened they couldn't explain so they made up stories in order to make themselves feel smarter.
:iconferres:
Ferres Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
It's a reassuring concept. Like the idea of Santa Clause to young children.
:iconarifmajid:
ArifMajid Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
where is the evidence that the universe create itself
:iconrhichter:
Rhichter Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
Natural course of biopsychosocial evolution. If you carefully examine the chemistry of the human brain, its neurology and its composition and organic compounds you'll find its a finely tuned puzzle solving construction with an intrinsic, instinctual risk vs reward system. When you understand this, you can apply such a system and its boundary and conditional parameters to the behavior of any animal. In this case, human beings. What you then find is that this system functions best when given a long space of time to take action. Which is where DNA comes into play. Humans that were genetically predisposed towards creativity, art, the mastery of language, ascendant curiosity and engineering prowess were also, almost always, paired with the desire to explain the things they were doing and with what they were using. Be it fire, observation of rain, comets, the stars, the sun, the moon or disease, the desire for war, the passion of love and the wonders of the world or any large number of things. Over time that essentially manifests into tales, stories and legends or fables about such events. And from there, you don't need much prodding to figure out exactly where organized religions come from. The justifications for their stories were very simple, the primitive humans. They relied on gods, spirits and mysterious creatures to lend warrant to their stories. With ridiculous claims come authority. And as we grow more technologically, socially and intellectually complex, we also string along this now very, very hyperactive justification/puzzle solving system. And when we're confronted with things we don't understand, and our brains won't allow us, we reject reality and substitute it with fantasy. That fantasy of course is now intertwined with reality in such a way that we must express logicality beyond our means to lend it merit. The bible is an excellent allusion to the religions that came before it, and comprised it.

That fantasy is ultimately religion. Or gods, as you would. Ways to explain the things we didn't understand. Now used to explain away the things we are not capable of knowing and using that ignorance as further warrant.

God is dead in the minds of modern humanity. Only the lingering idiocies remain.
:iconwiffleball:
WiffleBall Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
:iconryse95:
Ryse95 Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
it's not fortuitousness that the god is expressed in Human form, only god that exist is the god inside all people.This is the only belief i have.
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Student General Artist
When you've been told about god and his love and blah blah other stories of the likes since before you were even born, it's kind of hard to ask that question.
Add a Comment: