Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 455

Concerning witchcraft

:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Writer
I have a question for other witches out there.

I've read a few different things concerning the tools of witchcraft, such as the wand and the athane.

Do you think it is necessary to make the tools yourself? What is your opinion on buying tools?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconschnee-fee:
Schnee-Fee Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
You can either make your tools by hand and already have them charged with your energy, or you could get a tool already made and charge it with your own, cancelling the previous bond.
:iconart-of-darkelegance:
Art-of-DarkElegance Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
the school of belief is that traditionally, you should make your own as it is then charged with -your- energy. but this can be hard if you are looking for a specific wood(for wards) or mineral(again for wards) most people do not have the metal craft ability to make their own athame.
you can purchase your own. cleanse it and "charge" it.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Witchcraft is horrible. I have family involved in Witchcraft. I respect and love them as people, but I hate the religion and what they do to animals.
witwitch Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
What do they do?
Sacrifice animals. You have no idea how often I been to my aunt's house and animal corpses have been around. Goat heads, chicken feet, the works! I spent one Christmas accidentally witnessing the beheading of a rooster. Yesterday they grabbed a baby bat and trapped it in a cup, lord knows what they're gonna do to it!
whoa...that is not what most people in the neo-pagan circles practice. most believe deeply in the "harm none" philosophy. there are people that do sacrifices but it is NOT the norm. nor necessary.
It is in my family's case.
that may be. but please do not make the claim that is all witch craft.
Either way, it's a bunch of hocus pocus bullcrap. All Religion is. Witchcraft is far from the exception.
that may be your opinion.
(1 Reply)
:iconsock-eating-ninjas:
sock-eating-ninjas Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
I get all my adder's tongues from Amazon
:iconkerrymcquaid:
kerrymcquaid Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
This is by far the best sentence I have ever read.
:iconsock-eating-ninjas:
sock-eating-ninjas Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student General Artist
why thanks LOL
:iconmci021:
mci021 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Ultimately, it's all about what's important to you. Did you spend a week making your tools painstakingly by hand? Great! Did you save up for a month to buy them? Also great. In the end, it's not the tool, but what it means to the person wielding it that matters.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The best wands are obtained by climbing the highest mountain and taking all day to get there and it must be one of the highest branches of a very gnarled thorn tree in the middle of the Black Mountains of Wales. The harder you work for it the more powerful it is. If you don't come back down the mountain bloody and muddy then it means nothing.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Photographer
I can't believe there are people out there that think they are witches...
:iconphaetalon:
phaetalon Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I was going to read all of the replies before I answered, but I got bored after the third go 'round of 'I don't believe in magic'.

Anyway, you can, by all means make your own tools. Some folks find a sense of spiritual connection when they fashion things with their own hands. But, as others have pointed out, some things are hard to make. And you need to ask yourself, do I want to spend years learning how to forge my own blades? Do I want to go without a tool so that I can devote years learning how to carve wood or paint or whatever else style of decoration you may want to add to your wand?

There are plenty of craftspeople out there, Pagan or not, who devote several years to their craft, developing the skills it takes to create powerful and beautiful tools. They make their living on these skills developed over time and because not everyone can do the same, but people still need the tools.

And a quick note to all the non-believers: Believing in magic is like believing in the mail man. He doesn't need your faith to exist.
:iconfenrir1987:
Fenrir1987 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I bought a lot of my items, but I think it is better to create them, You connect with the item you are making and it become more powerful. Keep meaning to make my own rune set.
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Depends on what you are practicing.

Sometimes it matters. It depends on your faith and the spell.

Some say you need a specific knife that can never touch the ground, some say any old kitchen knife will do.

What kind of magic do you want to do, and in what system?

If you don't feel something is important, then you should find a system that allows you to use whatever you are comfortable using.

I don't think it matters all that much when it actually comes to results. I used to do the whole ritual tools thing, but as my ability and understanding evolved I started to change the way I worked, and now though I do have a wand I hardly ever actually use it, and the last time I broke out all my ritual tools was because my daughter wanted to do some magic and I believe in starting out at the bottom with all the ritual and working your way up.

But you do need to use what is required in your system. I wouldn't dream of trying a Hermetic spell using random objects I grabbed from around the house and blessed. Just like I wouldn't take a ritual blade out to chop a root for kitchen witchcraft out of the ground.
:iconcheykra:
cheykra Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
I'm being tormenfed by a girl who was like a sister to Ms. We met this summer we're real close and have grown further and further apart through out this time she has "planted" certain thoughts up until now it's all starting to effect me. I've dabbled in the white magic she is black for sure. A few weeks ago she had something done to her and they did a ritual she made me feel I was the one doing it and no it wasn't but here latelymore and more signs haveshown I need protection fast please help
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Uhhhh, what? Does this look like a 'help me I need a witch!' forum, to you?
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
The test. [link]
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Writer
:lol:!
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
"We shall use my largest scales!"
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Writer
"I got better!"
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012   Digital Artist
I tend to believe that making things is far better, but buying things isn't bad either. Sometimes there are certain things I just can't make. When I do make things though, I also don't just go for the fact that I'm crafting it with my own hands to create the connection, but I use materials that are relevant to the purpose and already have a deep connection and resonance with the "otherside" that I've seen. I also tend to be very ritualistic in the creation process, rather than simply crafting it, as I feel that it strengthens it as a whole. Also, if possible and depending on the purpose I tend to try to create a physical link between the object and myself, even though I've been advised against this, I feel it helps me have a better flow and creates a kind of centralized matrix of energy that I can work with.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Go cut one for the wand! The closer this is to living wood when you first carve it out, the more powerful it will be :)
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Student Writer
Ooh, I've heard the opposite: never take it from a living tree, that it is bad juju, unless you intend to use the wand for curses.
huh, really? Living trees are imbued with the essence of mother earth though. Freely given it is fearsome indeed.

....does it help is I ask the tree if I can take one?
or you can use "falls" or "sheds" seek around the tree for suitable drop offs. there are many school of thoughts and practice on this.
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
ah I see, thank you :)
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
That's what I usually do, plus bury a coin or other trinket in the soil as payment.
ah I see then :) thanks for the tip
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
No problem. Avoid metal, though, if fairies are around. I heard they hate it.
faeries...oh? hm I heard it as just cold iron and lead thye odn't like...but then again, you can never be too careful.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I'm not sure,now that I think of it. I know a set of fairies repeatedly stole pairs of tweezers from us on a regular basis.
(1 Reply)
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Student Writer
From what I've been hearing, go with what feels right to you. I think asking the tree would be a good idea. :)

If I was a tree I certainly wouldn't want one of my limbs suddenly ripped off without even an explanation. :paranoid:
hm I hope so. I would rather my earthly body stay intact :)

Haha true that.
:icontheliarwolfram:
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Student Filmographer
I don't use any tools except candles and gemstones, which I buy.
:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
nah, you don't need them....I vision them , it all comes from your mind and essence really.
:iconmattsykun:
MattsyKun Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
You don't really NEED tools. You can always envision tools if you want. But personally, I like to either make my tools, or use tools that people have given to me as a gift. If you make it yourself, you put some of your own power into it while making it, making it that much stonger, in my opinion.
:iconarcolm:
Arcolm Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
I've made a wand and quite a few pendents(as a matter of personal preference) my self. The meterials you pick though reflect what kind of energy you project in my opinion. It could be a rock from the ground to a piece of wood that you've found. The smallest speck of dirt to a large amount of ash. I added to my first(and possiblly only) wand untill i was satisfied that it was completed.

But sometimes it comes to a certain point. You pick out one meterial, fiddle with it a bit and it just feels natrual when its used. Pendents seem to be my sort of thing though sence i bind them to my hand or use them for dowsing. In other cases its better to have pendents because you can wear them around your neck if you feel so inclined to. Use them as protection charms or use the energy placed apawn them. And or transfer it to something else for storeage and repourpus them that way.

I wouldn't know of metal baised "athanes" as you call them. I'm more of a shaman. Closer to nature and all that. Everything i make comes from my imediate surroundings of nature.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist
I came across some concerning witchcraft before. I've tried closing programs by simply clicking the red x in the corner, and the program will insist that it had to close because of some error.

It happened so often, I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually true!
Arcolm Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
If you've got Vista and IE. Its probablly that. I've SO.... mutch trouble with it in that fact.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist
I've got 7 and use Firefox. But those aren't the programs that are insisting that the closing is due to an error, and not because I requested the closing!
Arcolm Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
Hmmm. Might want to see about going to the geeks forum about this. :sherlock:
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
no need for anything. its all capitalist crap
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I made my own athame :nod: When it comes to buying things I tend to go to local witches.
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Writer
I don't know any local witches yet.

Was it difficult to make? How did you get the tools required to make it?
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It was actually pretty easy. I made it in Virginia when I was visiting someone who knows how to make different types of knives.
Add a Comment: