Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 170

How do the religious know what is right and wrong when they are defined by some antiquated text?

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Consider if you will, the following counterthread.

Sacred texts are by definition, static and unchanging, with many of them having a notice of dire consequences if they are modified in any matter.

However, morality and society is NOT static, changing with the flow of time and technology.

So the question as stated in the title above is now presented formally for discussion.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
Simple: experimentation. Part of what I love about the Bible, is that it is filled with people who put their religion to the test, and part of what I love about my God, is His willingness to be tested.
:icontitanium-alex:
Titanium-Alex Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
Well, when you get right down to it most religions teach the same stuff:
Don't do stuff to other people you wouldn't want done to yourself, don't sleep around, don't cheat, don't lie, don't kill, don't steal. Et cetera.

That's just your basic moralities. If people want to build on them and make them gods they might as well. It's the way of humanity, I suppose. We can't explain something, so we make something up which seems to make sense to us. Thousands of years later we've found out more about the world and we can explain those things, but some of the beliefs stick around in traditions and religions. Not everything is based around texts.

I'm not sure if I'm opposing you or backing you up. Well, I'm just stating my opinions, people don't have to listen.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The text is static, but the interpretations aren't? I mean, Jewish scholarship is noted for being awesome, as one example of it happening with a monotheistic text.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Perhaps so.
:iconink-robertson:
Ink-Robertson Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Morality being static is your opinion as well as others being vice versa.
Sorry, Not static
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
the lords word is timeless. just as the command "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is. are you doubting that kindness and basic morals do not apply anymore?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
If its timeless, then what was before it was writ?
Still the Word. Have you ever read any Religous Texts, annotate them?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
But how could the word, record of the word, and such exist if the concept of written word or oral tradition didn't exist? What of the time before man? How did they that this written word existed before the first particle?
Add a Comment: