Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 170

How do the religious know what is right and wrong when they are defined by some antiquated text?

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Consider if you will, the following counterthread.

Sacred texts are by definition, static and unchanging, with many of them having a notice of dire consequences if they are modified in any matter.

However, morality and society is NOT static, changing with the flow of time and technology.

So the question as stated in the title above is now presented formally for discussion.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
Simple: experimentation. Part of what I love about the Bible, is that it is filled with people who put their religion to the test, and part of what I love about my God, is His willingness to be tested.
:icontitanium-alex:
Titanium-Alex Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
Well, when you get right down to it most religions teach the same stuff:
Don't do stuff to other people you wouldn't want done to yourself, don't sleep around, don't cheat, don't lie, don't kill, don't steal. Et cetera.

That's just your basic moralities. If people want to build on them and make them gods they might as well. It's the way of humanity, I suppose. We can't explain something, so we make something up which seems to make sense to us. Thousands of years later we've found out more about the world and we can explain those things, but some of the beliefs stick around in traditions and religions. Not everything is based around texts.

I'm not sure if I'm opposing you or backing you up. Well, I'm just stating my opinions, people don't have to listen.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The text is static, but the interpretations aren't? I mean, Jewish scholarship is noted for being awesome, as one example of it happening with a monotheistic text.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Perhaps so.
:iconink-robertson:
Ink-Robertson Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Morality being static is your opinion as well as others being vice versa.
Sorry, Not static
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
the lords word is timeless. just as the command "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is. are you doubting that kindness and basic morals do not apply anymore?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
If its timeless, then what was before it was writ?
Still the Word. Have you ever read any Religous Texts, annotate them?
But how could the word, record of the word, and such exist if the concept of written word or oral tradition didn't exist? What of the time before man? How did they that this written word existed before the first particle?
God is the Word. It was there as long as God was there. I believe you think "Law" as written or oral, that isn`t the case here. In the Bible God is the Word, he is the beginging and the end, so it was always there, Even before the first particale
Even before language was invented?

And what if God doesn't exist, or was created by man?
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist
If man created God, then what in the world are you doing here on planet earth. You should be invisible and rulling outside the universe or in the other side of dimension, for that matter. Wherefore, since you dwell where time exist-you must been created. Because, God doesn't dwell where time exist. Therefore, you are created by Almighty God.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
Your ill-logic is no longer wanted.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Student General Artist
Language is not required for morals, you can see morals in animals or supposedly. So yeah, some morals can arguably be timeless to the extent that as long as biological sentient creatures exist.
:iconzatarian:
Zatarian Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
According top the talmudic sages, God created the universe with the Hebrew language. At that time he also created the tablets that Moses broke. That was kept in heaven until the Jews left Egypt and assembled at Sinai. Man was created to speak Hebrew, but when men built the Towerof Babel, in an attempt to rebel against God, God created another 69 languages that he immediately put in the mouths of the men so that they should be divided.

Believe it or don't. For every question there is an answer, on either side of the argument. If you're asking so that you can understand, don't mock the answers you're given. If you're asking to mock, then you're no better than the closed minded religious fanatics who just spew nonsense when you ask them a question.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Except I'm fairly sure you've got the events out of order, but that may have simply been the way you typed it. And what is God to do if we reunite even with our hundreds of languages?
(1 Reply)
Your confusing worldly "Law" with the spiritual law. and if God didn't exist then the Law wouldn't be there. imo. You are asking a Christian what law is to him God is the law, if your athiest or of another religon it is something else
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
i dont know brah, good point.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sorry I meant Moses
Because the 7 of the 10 commandments are pretty much universal DON'T YOU DO THAT TO ME!

Think about it (in no particular order)

- Don't steal
- Don't oggle my wife/husband
- Don't oggle my cool shit
- Don't disrespect the 'rents
- Don't BANG my wife/husband (they were REALLY insistent on this)
- Don't lie
- Be good and chill on Sunday
- Don't believe in other guys pulling this shit
- Stop making weird ass fanart of it (It's like Jesus totally KNEW)

:iconeternaljedi:
EternalJedi Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
:iconclappingplz:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
THANK YOU THANK YOU!
:iconmattsykun:
MattsyKun Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
*oggles your shit*

Oooh, whatcha gonna do. Imma go to hell :dummy:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
YOU PRODUCT OF UNHOLY DEVILRY!!!!!
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Sure, but where did these common sense laws come from?
Probably somewhere along the line somebody realized "....wow, you know what? Not being a total asshat all the time would probably help keep the body count down."

It was probably thus establish the general commandment of all societies "Thou shalt not be a dickwad" and then Moses just figured he'd set down more concrete guidelines for that.
Okay, I can accept that. :B
:D

Wouldn't Anthro be so much more fun if we could all stop using ridiculously long words?
Pardon?
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
nah, nevermind lol
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Some books are antiquated, but some are updated

Christianity is the most sane religion, because Vatican keeps it up to date.

On the other hand, we have islam, which has stopped the development of middle eastern society, making them primitive towards the rest of the world.

So yes, some religions are antiquated, but keep in mind that some of them change with time.

PS. Ur avatar- Jiji? <3
Yes, my avatar is Jiji, but I laugh at your ideal that the Vatican keeps all of Christianity up to date.
If it's true, why do you laugh at it?
Because its false, or the WBC, Mormons, and various other sects would fall in line with the pope and there wouldn't be any opposition to Catholicism.
Actually, they are just sects. You are mixing up a religion and a sect. They are not Christians. Many people tend to do that mistake because atheists always run around screaming that Christianity is wrong because some sect still believes in simplified creationism. The problem is, they shouldn't be considered Christians, if they don't follow the basic principles of Christianity.
In that case, let me eliminate 99% of the church and leave the gnostics alone.
Why would you eliminate 99% when you can only erase sects from the chart?
Because they all consider themselves to be, and yet aren't.
(1 Reply)
:iconwillwriteforhearts:
willwriteforhearts Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Writer
Not all religious people are defined by a text such as the Bible, a lot of people are religious without that :)
And how are they guided?
willwriteforhearts Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Writer
Well I certainly can't know about all of them, but some are guided by their own morality that they've developed in their life and have found a form of God through some kind of experience they've gone through. Some see the history in characters mentioned in the bible and admire them and some of their teachings, but don't follow everything in it. Things like that I guess. I think most are bound to agree with SOMETHING in the bible, butthat doesn't mean they follow it.
Butthat?
willwriteforhearts Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Writer
:XD: It's hard writing from an ipod, okay? Stupid big fingers on little keyboard... *sounds like Hulk*
:iconvampirenyan:
VampireNyan Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
in fact, the content of the bible as it is now, has changed. I don't know excactly when, but at some point, very long ago, someone decided which parts of the bible they would not include. A lot of ancient texts have been found around the middle sea..... parts of the bible that are no longer parts of the bible.

another reason to not belive in any gods. if you can just decide which of god's word you would like to be known.... O_o
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
At the very least, if there is going to be a Godlike figure, build him for the benefit of humanity, not itself.
:iconvampirenyan:
VampireNyan Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
yeah... but religion has caused more wars than everything else.
or at least been the excuse for wars.

i understand that the bible once was a good set of laws.

but now, it is causing a lot of trouble for for example homosexuals and (maybe just here - denmark) causing trouble for people from the middle east who are comming here to live.

as i see it, either the world needs a new reformation (of all religions, not just christianity) or people have to stop believing in gods.

my granddad believes strongly in god, but still he accepts that i am atheist. maybe because he is not offended by me stating that god(s) does not exist outside the mind, because he belives in god. he knows, that it is not about knowing god. it is about believing.

so as long as we people can accept each other, i don't really care about what people believe. as long as they don't try to change me.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Logic does not apply to religion.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
It should.
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Man religious texts were written as a guild for how to be good people, what to believe.
Not to follow it word for word.
People take it all to literally.

The words change, the message doesn't.
Add a Comment: