How does an Atheist know what is right or wrong if morals are subjective?

Comments317
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'd say society and environment plays a major role in forming one's moral code, whether a person is an atheist or not
Turn the question, how does christians know whats right since the book tell them to do so much evil, kill non-believers, kill gays, beat bad children and so on. I've yet to meat anyone living after biblical morality.
Well it's simple, like the theists, atheists have their own subjective version of morality.

Two atheist may have two different opinions about morality, but the same can be said about those who believe in God, just look at the hundreds of different interpretation of God's words, let's take killing for example, some may argue that it's forbidden and wouldn't kill even to protect themselves of their family, other would gladly kill for their faith and other would only kill for self-defense.
Morality will vary from one individual to another, religion is not a concrete path but more of a general direction in my opinion.

On a personal note, I believe that we human are unable to comprehend God, so I prefer to keep a critical view on what's considered as "canon" in the book...
I can not speak for others but I have a somewhat unusual take on morallity. I have Asperger's Sydrome(a form of high functioning autism) so I experienced delayed social development and empathy. Because of this I've had to structure my morallity on something other than empathy. For me the results are as follows:

1.Life is of the highest value, without it there is no meaning, value or really anything
2.My life is shared with others i.e. no man is an island unto himself (this is one of the reasons people feel sad when someone close dies, they have, in essence, lost a piece of their self)
3.Degrees of connectivity are important but ultimately all are connected

On this rational basis I have built many other principals but those are more subjective and experience based, these three concepts are what I feel to be a universal basis for morallity. Some use the concept of an afterlife to justify actions that would otherwise violate morallity, this is a very dangerous line of thought as it can be highly destructive. I do not intend to disparage religion, simply those that use it as an excuse. I wash my hands of no action, I learn from the past and move on. No regrets, no justifications, just life and growth.
He ask a Christian of course. Why do you think we keep them around?
Logic, Common sense, Empathy... We don't need a book to feel and to know what is right and wrong.
How does one know what is funny or not if humor is subjective?
There's a reason that the Golden Rule (treat others as you'd want to be treated) crops up in so many religions... because it's common sense and empathy that are really at the heart of morality, not checking in a rule book.
Common sense varies from culture to culture.

Remember the British were all crazy about the way Zulu warriors would cut open fallen Britt's stomachs.
The Zulu did it to free the spirit trapped in the body, the British called it multilation of a corpse.
Of course! I was arguing from the perspective that morals are subjective. Because they are, all we have to go on is our common sense and empathy. The Zulus aren't any less in the right than the British in that scenario - there is no real right and wrong, just the empathy and common sense to try and make the best decision. Perhaps if the Zulus and British better understood each others' customs for dead bodies, their empathy would have led them to behave differently.
How does a Christian know what is right or wrong when they cannot work it out without help from a deity?
Spiritualism is a bit of the out of the norm. Yet its baised off at least some emotional logic. There is bound to be conflict with certain things that make up a persons perseption of life.
There is some emotional logic, but a lot of the rules make no sense.
Also, if you need the threat of hell to keep you in line, you are horribly morally deficient.
Not in the case of moral virtue. Some people have it others don't. But in some respects like most things virtue takes time to build on till it becomes something strait forward.
I'm sorry, you lost me there. I think that if you need a religion with a heaven and a hell and pointless rules, just to make you be a good person, then there is something wrong with you.
Ok let me see if i can explain a bit better.
Virtue(of life), a state of mind that only can be obtained thrue reflection of self or observation of others then careful compairison to your self. True virtue is only gained when the person feels confertable with that virtue of life. As well as being able to act on it accordingly.

I believe in the "free mind, free body, free life" aspect. For me religion is a perspective that can be used to create and improve moral stature if the need arises. On top of that science would be used for a more logical aproch to questions that can't be solved from a religious perspective. I learn from experince(like most poeple) and adapt acordingly.
So, believe in the teachings of how to act, rather than in all the whole "god made the world" crap? That actually sounds pretty reasonable.
View all replies
What hurts someone is bad.
What does not is good.
What hurts someone extremely is extremely bad.
What makes someone happy, without hurting someone, is extremely good.

Generally logic and common sense leads us, no?
Not really lol I get a shot for a illness it hurts, therefore its bad
I took lots of cocaine and it feels great, therefore its good
I killed a innocent man and the thrill was awesome, therefore its good
Generally logic and common sense leads us, no. Nope it isn`t a good moral stand point to say cause it hurts its bad, or cause it feels good it good
I can see how that is more complex than that. To me its more of a balance. Creation, balance, choas.

Its different from every person to the next on what morals they have vs the other. There is no one right or wrong thing. As long as people have there perseption of what is the world as a whole.
Have to dissagree with the no right or wrong part but if thats how you go at it fine with me.
Well then think about it then. What dose things of nature do when its threatened? Be subjective to one point but keep your mind open.