Mormonism on the "gay" culture,

[link]
I think Mormonism should stay out of the news. Seriously. Then again, if enough people criticize this garbage, then maybe they'll change their views to something less primitive and inoffensive. Do you guys agree?

(PS are there any Mormons out there that would like to comment on what I just said?)
Comments16
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
From the site: "From a public relations perspective it would be easier for the Church to simply accept homosexual behavior. That we cannot do, for God’s law is not ours to change"

And yet they could reinterpret "god's law" when it came to polygamy and the acceptance of black people holding the priesthood. You'd think they'd learn from their mistakes and start making their positions on unprogressive stances less clear. Then it'd be easier for them to deny they were ever anti-homosexuality in the future.
Turk, why don't you link to the actual website, so people can judge it for themselves?

Just so you know, this isn't really a change in position for the church. The church says that behavior is a choice... they haven't said anything about inclinations to this point.
Considering they pretty much run the state of Utah, I don't see Mormonism stepping out of the media any time soon.
Why Mormons specifically? This same view, or similar views, are widespread among other Christian groups as well, not to mention other religions. And all such views are appalling so why single out just one for criticism?
Particularly, the Mormons are more 'primitive' than most other sects.
Do you seriously believe most other sects of Christianity, and many religions in general, aren't equally or more homophobic? It's silly to call Mormons more primitive for being the same as other religions. It just gives other hateful and primitive groups a free ride.

This is the same sort of thing that inspires people to criticize mormons for their sexism and crazy beliefs, but stick up for that same sexism and equally crazy beliefs throughout most Christian churches.
Huh. Well, I suppose it's a step in the right direction...
It's not exactly an olive branch, is it? "We get that you didn't choose to be this way. But we find that part of you disgusting and require that you deny your sexuality for the rest of your life." Gee, thanks. Who asked you?
That is precisely what I was thinking. I don't know how these people can think this is progress. Such a policy is, I think, one of the deepest, most personal insults to homosexuals.
Good for them. Their website says that sexuality is not a choice. Even recognising that makes them leagues ahead of and far more progressive on the concept than other denominations.

(although it's not a universal reality since sexuality is quite fluid - some people CAN choose who they're attracted to, most cannot choose, and many actually waver on their sexual preference throughout their lives)
if anything this is worse. They recognise that it's not a choice and still condemn them for it.
It's a very generic Christian stance. Being gay isn't a sin, just having sex because you can't be legally married and the reason that is is because there is a strong religious backing to religi-fy marriage which is a lawful social institution.
Still, they shouldn't have that kind of influence on the gay/lesbian/bisexual community. When I see that sh*t in the news, I cringe. I don't like sex, but that doesn't mean I don't want other people to have sex. Sex is natural.
Exactly. What's crazy is some off shoots of the Mormon branch practice polygyny, I mean we can tell gays who they can't marry but Mormons are cool? I recall even the founder of Mormonism denounced polygamy.