Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

The aspiration of reward in the afterlife.

:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Too often I encounter the accusation that those who do not believe in God and an afterlife must not have morals because they do not believe that their actions in this brief mortal existence holds any personal consequences for all eternity afterwards. To more extreme cases, the assumptions go on to deduce that those who do not believe in a particular sect's deity could only be doing so out of immature rebellion; wishing to live a life of decadence and sin without the thought of infinite punishment for finite crime. Or perhaps in spite of it.

In any case, the association of moral code and segregation in the afterlife too often comes down to two conclusions: A finite existence is meaningless, and acting like a morally upstanding person is meaningless unless there is viable threat of punishment or a promise of reward for it. If these motivations hold true, then does that not mean that acting like a morally good person for the expressed purpose of achieving immortality in paradise after you die is in fact, an act of greed and selfishness? If one requires to believe in an afterlife, the result of which is directly contingent on your actions while alive, to feel the need to have morality, then does that mean that the only reason to be a good person is for personal gain? Not unlike a toddler who's only incentive to not misbehave is because they expect Santa Clause to give them presents each year.

In conclusion. If your only reason for not being a selfish dickhead to everyone around you is because you expect to be rewarded for it with immortality in paradise when you die, are you really a good person?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I had a debate with my friends earlier today where we all agreed that if religion died suddenly for whatever reason and a good number of charities disbanded because they found their religion to not be true (by extension they found being "good" meaningless since there is no "god" watching them) - that the world would be a much better place without these charities. It's not like you can feed a starving third world kid with a bible anyway. I think this subject is truly dead and tired though. I wish more people would start addressing the complete non connection between the hypothetical existence of a God and 'religion' itself. :shrug:
:icontearahk:
Tearahk Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I believe our morals should come from our actions and what we believe is better for not just ourselves, but for the people around us. I for one have no interest in religion. That said, I'm not atheist. I just don't care if there is a god or not. What I do care about is how my actions effect the people around me, and how I can change those reactions to better ones.

I may not be religious, but that doesn't mean I don't have morals. People these days seem to think, like they did back in the day, that you need an incentive in order to be nice. My thought on that is this, why not just be nice? Why not just do it out of the kindness of your heart, rather than some misplaced sense of obligation?

But this may all just be me, who really knows?
:iconalzircon:
alzircon Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
At first we need to establish that morality has always been and always will be subjective based on what time, country and/or culture you live in. Back when the bible was being pieced together it was totally cool and moral to own slaves. It was totally cool and moral to kill people in the name of a certain deity and in some countries it's still totally cool and moral to consider women as property.
:iconmagicmoonbird:
MagicMoonBird Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think its scary how some people talk and think about the after life....they dont even care if their loved ones die, its crazy! O.o ...we should enjoy our life on earth to the fullest, you never know what will come afterwards...no one knows
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Anybody who gets his morality out of a book is simply a dickhead.
:iconwilliamrobertrussell:
WilliamRobertRussell Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I dont believe in anything, yet i treat everyone around me equally and respectfully, and i have no desire to be a selfish dickhead. So where does that make me stand?
An empathetic human being who does not need to be bribed or threatened into being nice to other people?
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Considering heaven is guaranteed upon conversion in my book, I think that would be a rather pointless aspiration. Granted, in my book, conversion also initiates transformation, so the part of you that wanted to be a selfish dickhead is no longer at the forefront of your reasoning.
You wrote a book?!
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I have. It had nothing to do with this subject though.
Add a Comment: