Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence...

:icondragonsnapalm:
I see people use this from time to time, and disbelieve it from time to time. What does this theory mean to you when you hear it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconedwardspaghetti:
It means you have to prove that aliens exist, and then prove that they have visited earth, before you claim they built the pyramids.
:iconarcolm:
Theroy to me is a way to quantify or classify something or someone that to your knowlage your not sure about yet. But the scientific definition also applies in my book. So in some way i go both ways.

Hell i've come up with sevril theroies if not trying to find something to explain them. So yeah, i can agree with "extrodanary claims require extrodanary evidince." Regaurdless i still go for the quantum theroies due to there draw of a philosophcial nature in most cases.
:iconwesmeadow:
Wesmeadow Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
The problem with that broken down record nonsense, is the potential for lies and assumptions to demand extra ordinary evidence for something that is actually simple or natural, ends up causes the wrecking havoc on proving the natural existing.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's not a "theory", it's a truism.

You ought not disbelieve it. It's a reliable guide; just a restatement of Occam's Razor or the law of parsimony.
:iconsaeter:
I find that Occam's Razor/Law of Parsimony fails because most people don't quite understand the context of "simplest" in this case. Often falling on "God did it" being the 'simplest' answer but not understanding that it has no explanatory power.

With Sagan's quote you have a clear definition of what one is trying to achieve. In simpler terms "put up or shut up" in that everyone can understand.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Unless, of course, you don't think "God did it" is an extraordinary claim.
:iconsaeter:
God is an extraordinary claim in itself.
:icontimehasanend:
The Word of God of the Bible has nothing to with theory of any kind. The word of God of the Bible is the truth...You may not see it in your generaton, but it will speak at the end of time.
:icondragonsnapalm:
No offense, but from where I stand, the Bible is an already refuted book. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and the Bible is a long list of extraordinary claims.
:iconworkoutprogress:
workoutprogress Dec 9, 2012   Photographer
I'm glad you weren't born in the middle-east.
Add a Comment: