Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 2825

Convince me why abortion should not be allowed.

:iconredmarlin:
Normally, I try to see both sides of an argument. However, abortion is one of those things where I have not heard any argument against it that I feel has any merit. So this thread is very simple: if you are against abortion, for whatever reason, please explain to me why you feel that way.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconproudlandscomic:
ProudLandsComic Dec 10, 2013  Professional Filmographer
This debate becomes particularly thorny because it involves the question about when a life begins.  When does a person begin to exist?  Everyone has their own thoughts on the matter and unless we could conclusively prove when life begins, the charge of murder of the person/fetus/zygote/cell cluster still stands in the minds of many.  This is why for many people abortion is a big problem and such a hot button issue.

:iconjosephvlives:
JosephVLives Dec 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm against abortion.

Although I would never personally put a woman in the position where she had to have one.

Sex is not important to me.
:iconbotan:
I've got a very complex opinion on abortion, but to make it simple, let's put it like this ---> Basically, I'm against abortion, BUT I am definitely pro-legalisation. How so? I do believe abortion is a sad choice and that women who made it must be having really good reasons. On the other hand, however, many women are litterally FORCED into abortion, against their will, because, for example, their parents don't like her having an affair with "that guy", or for any other reasons. In that case, abortion is no longer a choice, is it?

Anyway, I consider abortion to be really the last of the final choices and that every other reasons for keeping the baby should be considered first. But then, once the choice is made, to terminate the pregnancy, I mean, the woman should be given all the medical and, above all, moral support to make this process end up safely and without major damage to her psyche and body.

In other words, if we really can't save the life of the kid, let's at least save the life of the woman.
:icontoastedghosts:
ToastedGhosts Dec 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I believe in the phrases, "Adoption, not abortion" and "Your mom was pro-life." Basically, if you are raped or get drunk and, you know... From the moment the reproductive cells unite, a life is created. Do you really want to destroy something that never had a chance to live? Think of what could happen. Think of it as if it were you being aborted. If you don't want the child, don't engage in intercourse. If you're pregnant, do not abort! After you give birth, if you still don't want the child, give it up for adoption!
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Dec 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Then you believe in a blatantly false statement, as my mom is quite pro-choice, as are many parents.

If I were aborted, I would have gone from no consciousness to no consciousness. I never would have had the capacity to care. I don't see how it would be any different than if my parents just decided to cuddle on the night I was conceived.
:iconeiikm:
You believe in forcing a woman who has been raped to go through the financial, emotional, social, and physical burden of pregnancy and childbirth? You favor punishing her for being raped. 

If I was aborted then my parents would be happier. Don't lie to yourself and think otherwise. The vast majority of our parents gave up an incredible amount to have you. More than you know and more than THEY know. Also, a fetus has no cognitive functions therefore it would not realize it is alive, let alone aborted. 

You'll understand more about "intercourse" when you're older. You are ignorant to both sex and childbirth. Giving birth is not something the majority of people will do just to do. 
ToastedGhosts Dec 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm 14, okay? I word things incorrectly. And I know much about it already. I know the process, and all that. Because I was TAUGHT about it by women.
:iconeiikm:
I did not see any words that were poorly chosen from a grammatical standpoint. Don't beat yourself up in that regard. It was the content I took issue with. You were told by women thus you believe it. Do not make that mistake again though. Believe nothing without proof and evidence behind it.
:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Dec 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
From the moment the reproductive cells unite, a life is created.

First of all, no it isn't. At conception, the "life" that you are talking about looks like this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bla…
How exactly is this thing a "baby?" The only way you can claim it to be human is that it has human DNA, just like a cancer cell does.

Second, even if we accept life beginning at conception, why does that matter? Being alive confers nothing special on anything. In fact, if you actually look up miscarriage statistics, a majority of conceptions never make it to week 5 due to rejection by the mother's own body (this can be caused by something as minor as the fetus having a different blood type). Tell me again how every life is sacred?

Think of what could happen. Think of it as if it were you being aborted.

Umm...I wouldn't be around to have this discussion, nor would I be able to care. A fetus is inert, unlike the mother.

If you don't want the child, don't engage in intercourse.

And that's not gonna happen. For one, consent to sex is not consent to being pregnant any more than owning a house is consenting to robbery.
Most sex is for non-reproductive purposes, something which makes sense given how we evolved. You're also ignoring sexual assault and incest victims, as well as women with life or health threatening pregnancies.
ToastedGhosts Dec 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
First of all, it is life. Second of all, we didn't evolve.
Add a Comment: