Escapism

Some people see the world as fake, cardboard, an illusion.

Some people see the world as being too real and overwhelming.

Both try to escape their version of reality.

Which category do you fall into and what is your chosen method of escapism?
Comments67
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I read, contemplate building a time machine, try to be perfect and then hide in my room. That's about it besides making an idiot of myself.
I think a lot of people live in constant denial about a slew of different things...

I prefer raging at gamers over the Internet...
I think we are on a rock in the middle of nowhere desperately searching for an inherent purpose in life, when it simply doesn't exist. Life only means what you choose it too. I don't really try to escape reality, I think of philosophy often. The only thing I escape with is art and my friends. And video games.
I like to consider solipsism (only my conscious mind exists) but i do not take it to be true. I escape reality by preoccupying my mind with hobbies. I would say when i am not doing anything i tend to imagine the world does not exist, and that i am alone.
If you're not happy with your surroundings and your situation, it can be liberating and wonderful to dream and "escape reality". I think that's all there is to it. I believe most escapists do it because of their situation in life, rather than reality as a whole being boring/overwhelming/fake/whatever.
The world is real, or at least my perception of it, and when it gets overwhelming I tend to escape in little spurts to keep myself sane through it all. I do so through drawing, reading, watching movies, playing videogames, or just something to destract my mind for a while and give it a chance to reboot.
Reality is just kind of a constant, kinda hard to actually escape it. So I will exploit reality as I need to, and then play computer games and talk to people many miles away and pretend that I have a life :3
The second, but I don't feel the need to escape from it. I do quite often, it's fun in moderation, but I'm very fine with facing that reality.
I...
play games
read
watch anime
...to escape reality
I am not sure where I fall into. For starters I must be some kind of escapist as I am using the net and on an art site, the same goes for you all. Although, I do not find the world overwhelming, it takes a lot for me to be overwhelmed I have amazed people how I can handle what they call 'tough situations'. But that is beside the point and rather off topic. I guess I am an escapist, for what reason i do not know. All that I know is that I have a different way at looking at things compared to others and I try and show that in my artwork, sculpture, photography, writing and music creation.
I take respite from my miserable existence by playing video games
Both, largely related to society. It seems stupidly fake, which makes its reality simply stupefying.

Science if for me escapism, even though (and because) it is real, and it seems more real than the shit I have to put up with in civilisation. More sensible too. I can safely say that quantum mechanics makes more sense to me than other people.
Everything is reality. You can't escape it
It is overwhelming,so I like to be who I am and forget what normal is.
Can you be both?
I see the world as something I have to return to after I'm finished playing video games.

Through media I visit other "worlds" that I otherwise wouldn't ever experience.
Reality is what persists, emotions/perceptions included - escapism what you do to hide that reality from view. I try to live with reality, and accept it as it is.
If you want to get down and dirty, you could say that everything beside survival and fornication is just a way to escape the reality. Hell, by using the internet you're doing it too.
Nothing is more fake than reality or more beautiful.
Some people see the world as fake, cardboard, an illusion.

Hmmm. Its like the two sides of a coin. One side illusion, the other side ...
Some people see the world as being too real and overwhelming.

Hmmmm. Reality check needed. Ectually, balance is needed.
Both try to escape their version of reality.

Uhuh. Sounds like an assumption to me.
Which category do you fall into and what is your chosen method of escapism?

Toss a coin?
I choose to look at the world through a pair of 3d glasses. That way it's still reality I'm seeing, but it's not too real.
I really don't mind the world I live in :shrug: