December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 150

'Christianity isn't a religion'?

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
A few days ago, this aired: [link]

The breakdown- Bill O'Riley asks what religion is associated with Christmas- is told it is Christianity- then says that Christianity is not a religion.

O'Riley- 'It is a fact that Christianity isn't a religion, it is a philosophy...Roman Catholicism is a religion, Judaism is a religion.'

The basic idea being that Christianity itself is a collection of philosophies, while each individual sect is a religion.

So, what do you think? Religion or not? Can one be religiously 'Christian', or is it only a religion when it is a specific sect?

The real argument behind all this, in the clip, is really more along the lines of 'it's not religious discrimination or promotion if it's not technically a religion'- War on Christmas and all that.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
its a religion. there is no argument its just a stupid statement
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
It's just ignorance of the speaker.

Roman Catholicism is a part of Christianity. Christianity was whole once, then it got split up a number of times, that slipped out of his mind...

War on Christmas- like, some people don't want Christmas?
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist
The truth of the matter is, religion or christianity has nothing to do with religion. Because, the Bible was written for mankind to follow and obey God's law, the Bible. So, thus, religion or christianity is not base on philosophies.
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
That whole thing about the bible being written as Gods law to man is part of a belief system.

The bible is a guide book for that religion, or philosophy, or whatever you want to call it.

You BELIEVE the bible was written as Gods word. Other people BELIEVE it was written by people without God at all.

What the bible is or is not has nothing to do with this discussion.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think Christianity is inherently a religion, but it's like an overarching super religion. You can't be just a general Christian in the same way you can't just be a general art major. There is literally no such thing. You have fine art, graphic design, photography, film, sculptor....ect. You do one of those thigns, or a combination fo some of them, but there's no general art major.

Just like if you're christian you're either Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, or some kind of Protestant (I can't even keep track of all of them any more THERE ARE SO MANY).
:icontrorbes:
Trorbes Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Any sufficiently-large religion will eventually split into separate disciplines; it's not unique to Christianity.
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
True enough bu Protestantism is like it's own super-religion. How many sects are they up to now?....and I don't remember if Mormonism is it's own thing away from Protestantism or if it's part of that along with all the others
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Over 41,000 and counting.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
As of 2012, it's 41*10^3, but over time, it'll decrease due to the ever-decreasing popularity of religion over time.
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
lol IT'S OVER 9000!
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I see what he's saying there, I understand. Christianity is a philosophy, it's like Buddhism, it's a philosophy, it's when you throw in the sect is when it becomes a religion, perhaps that was what he meant by that statement? after all it's hard to say, debate, argue, get over one another and try to put everything into a time frame to explain everything?
Well know Buddhism in inherently in it's purest form a philosophy. It encourages practitioners to release themselves of all desire and they shall be happy.

Christianity says that there's this guy up in a place called heaven and he's called god. He's the king of the world, and all that is good so if you listen to him you're a good person. The different sects evolved because nobody agrees on what god said he wanted people to do.
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Buddhism doesn't worship a god figure, though.
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
it was reference because Buddhism have many sects. but Buddhism believe in gods they just believe man have influence over their life and not the gods.
:iconeldynamite:
ElDynamite Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
First off, don't trust O Reilly.
Next... "Christianity (from the Ancient Greek: Χριστιανός Christianos[1] and the Latin suffix -itas) is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion"
I really don't see room for changing that :P
:iconbrainninja11:
brainninja11 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Bill O'Riley is an idiot, and yes, Christianity is a religion. Even when it means that the atheists and secular groups are right, it's still a religion.
:iconcandanceamy:
CandanceAmy Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
In the beginning it was one and it was called Christianity, no? Was it a religion then?
In 1054 they decided to break off because some wanted all the power.
Technically, Christianity ceased to exist then?
:iconultraraccoon:
UltraRaccoon Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Its a relationship. Like how a father loves his child and thus the child loving back.
That's certainly how it SHOULD be :)
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
What father punishes a child for eternity?
God apparently
UltraRaccoon Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you spent a lifetime disbelieving your father, would he want you in his house?
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I don't know what type of 'loving' family you have, but I have had disagreements with my family, and they still want me here just as much, they love me. Your family might think it's okay to abandon each other, but not with mine.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
In Christian theology God wants you in his house no matter what you have done or how you personally attack Him. He provided free salvation for you, all you have to do is be willing to want to be in hHis house.

What kind of idiot chooses to stay outside and then talk about how unloving their father is?
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
So what about all the people that where born into non-christian societies, who never had contact with Christianity? It's not their fault they were born into non-christian societies, was it? It's not their fault they had no contact with christianity, was it?

So why does god punish them?

Take Australian Aboriginals. They didn't have any contact with Christianity until at the very earliest, 1768.

Why do all Aboriginals born before then go to hell? They didn't choose to be born there, did they?
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
It is a great question. What effect does a lack of parenting have on future generations?
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
So god is basically like a great grandfather that refuses to see his great grandchildren because he didn't like his kids.

What a shining beacon of example. :lol:
(1 Reply)
:iconmypointis:
MyPointIs Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
If God actually wants me to be in his house, he's being way too sutble. Plus it's kind of hard to get into a house if you don't know where it is or if it even exists.
maddmatt Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Here you go. No excuses.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
I though god was the all-father.

And if you're going to do that, explain Lucifer to me. Poor angel got thrown out of heaven for nothing worse than being a dick. Yet he's cast into hell for eternity? Sounds a little harsh for a annoyance one sees in the human race everyday.
(1 Reply)
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Question: do you have a "set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs"?
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Let me see here, not all branches of Christianity is a religion as some of them don't have any rituals, but that kind of goes against the principles of Christianity, hence it can't be Christianity in spite of having certain set of beliefs. Hmmm....
I see where your getting at. I do believe in God and his works, but doesnt a child believe in what his/her father does?

The only ritual i know of is the baptismal, but thats not even required. All other things like the Commandments are just steps on how to love God back. Its your choice to follow or not. If someone truly loved you, wouldnt they know how to love you?

Now humans have used this to make laws cause they seem to work well and keep people happy, but just as I said its your choice to follow.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Depends on what branche of Christianity you are form. Going to church is ritualistic, prayer is ritualistic, making the sign of the cross is ritualistic, revering and the reading of the Bible is ritualistic, missionary work for groups like the Mormons are ritualistic, observing the Sabbath (which God implicitly tells you to do in the BIble) is a ritual. These are things in which different branches of Christianity mandates one to do.

Ergo, is Christianity not a religion? You believe there is a cause and reason to the universe specific to a supernatural power that is above the power of a human. You live devoutly by sets of laws and rituals laid down by the Bible itself and observe moral rules as preached in the gospel. Check, check, check, check.

I mean now if we argue if Buddhism or Confucianism is a religion, there's slightly less checks.

I don't know when I ever said that. My comment was essentially if you do all these things, Christianity is totally 100% an religion. As a formal Christian, anyone who doesn't think Christianity is a religion should put their heads back in the scriptures and talk to a competent church leader about their education.
:icondotb18:
DOTB18 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
A relationship requires two-way communication. Does God talk to you?
sure does just not in words more like in blessings. I.E. he stopped a bullet in the barrel of a gun for me.
:iconpatriqueh:
PatriqueH Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
So god stopped a bullet for you... but not for all the other millions of people who have ever been shot?

What makes you so special?
UltraRaccoon Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
don't ask me.
I don't think I'm special at all.
DOTB18 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
But how do you know it was God?
UltraRaccoon Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Don't know a better way to explain it than it was a gut feeling.
DOTB18 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Well that may be good enough for you, but for the rest of us, your "gut feeling" doesn't amount to much more than "because I said so". Anecdotes on personal experiences are not evidence.
:iconwilliamrobertrussell:
WilliamRobertRussell Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Christianity is not a religion. the branches of christianity, such as catholicism, weslyan, lutheran, methodist, calvinists, baptists etc etc, are religions. they all share the same book, the new testament, but all disagree with each other. which makes no sense to me. but yeah. thats what i think hes trying to get at.
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
'Christianity is not a religion.'

Explain why.
already did...
Sorry, the inbox system here is kinda. I won't show other peoples replies on a reply, so when you replied to yours it didn't come in.
christianity is simply believing that christ died on the cross to forgive all our sins, which is what all christian religions can agree on, other than that they mostly interpret many aspects of the bible differently, which is why many christians (or ones that i know) refrain from associating themselves with a denomination, because they dont care about the petty differences and focus on their relationship with god and jesus.
:icondevilomsorgar:
Devilomsorgar Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I like Bill as a guy, but I have to completely disagree here. They're all Abrahamic religions, whether it's Judaism, Catholicism or Christianity. I wish I could remember what my religion professor said about Catholicism (I never really listened... but I don't listen in any class, so that isn't saying much), because he made a great point regarding how Catholics will call themselves "Christians" and whatnot...
Pointless bringing it up when I can't even remember what he said...

But yea, they're Abrahamic religions.
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist
You see the "Word of God of the Bible", has nothing to do with religion. Because, the Bible is the "Law Book of God" and it was given to human being to follow and obey them. Thus, it has nothing to do with religion. None! Whatsoever!
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I can decipher that response, but I don't know if anybody else can..I see you've indicated you are in the US. I hope English is your second language.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist
"Thus, it has nothing to do with religion. None! Whatsoever!"

I'm sure most of the world sees it differently, but alright.
Add a Comment: