Do you think Polygamous Marriages could become acceptable sometime in the future?

With growing tolerance and openness to the idea of SAME-SEX marriage, I wonder if the world could sometime soon be open to the idea of polygamous marriages UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITION that BOTH parties are AWARE AND AGREE TO IT?

Any thought?

PLEASE NO NEGATIVE OR HATEFUL COMMENTS PLEASE!
Comments196
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hmm, tricky.

Average humans are serially monogamous, with actual marriage-type polygamy exhibited more by high status males, with one rare culture having women marry brothers. The problem of polygamy is that it becomes a status issue, UNLESS you have an even number of males and females going into it, because otherwise a lot of polygamous marriages are going to unbalance the gender ratio of free males to females. The higher status individuals are going to gather the more valuable sex like a resource; they already do so in every society, just illegitimately, since the cost of getting caught is so low compared to the genetic reward. You almost never hear of a women getting caught for secretly having multiple husbands though.

If women married multiple males as often as males married multiple women, it could work nicely, but you'd need a lessening of the double standard against women as much as you'd need legal marriage freedom for this to occur. And possibly a change in human nature; human females evolutionarily speaking have less incentive to collect multiple male mates, although it is not a nonexistent incentive.
I don't see why not, though there will probably be some legal issues regarding child custody, house ownership, etc. However, once those issues are dealt with there shouldn't be much of a problem.
as long as we're approaching it with both genders here, females having more than one husband and males having more than one wife. in most cases Polygamous has been male with several wives. since some are feeling they are being forced things, others are accepting this and others still it's always been a way of life, I feel this could come eventually. but I'm drawing the line when it comes to jumping species. people should NOT marry their farm animals, I'm sorry I guess I'm still closed minded when it comes to this sort of thing. but hey, who knows, they might have this come about as well, anything is possible once you open that door and walk threw it.
It would be confusing for the children, and you would always be wondering about who was the favourite partner.
Perhaps. As long as all parties are willing, it is a definite possibility. People can always argue that love is love and it shouldn't matter who you love. and that's a very valid argument. I'm all for same sex marriage (: some may go farther and say it shouldn't matter how much you love. certain people already have open relationships. I would never want a polygamous relationship, but I am somewhat tired of the government telling us how to feel and who to feel it with. to each his own, I say!
Maaayyyybe. It's kind of too early to say. People have to get through the Gay Rights Movement, first. They're too busy arguing on whether or not gay marriage should be legal to think of polygamous marriage. That's probably the last thing on their minds right now. Next to bestiality. They're more worried about bestiality right now than polygamy. That being said, you can probably have polygamous relationships and get plum away with it, provided there's no homosexual relationships involved. But marrying more than one person? Eeeehhhh. Too soon to say. Everyone has to figure out what sexuality even is, first. And that's what the Gay Rights Movement is doing, helping people, both opposed and for homosexuality, do. Figure out what sexuality is and what it means for the human individual. Feminism started it, Gay Rights is broadening it...maybe Polygamy will finish it. But again. Too soon to say.
With the number of Middle Eastern, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, African, Bruneian and Malay Muslims immigrating to North America, Europe and Australia, I can see polygamy legalized out of people and government thinking it to be racist to deny them polygamy. I am more supportive of polyamorous relationships that there is a mutual understanding & agreement with, because the Mormons have fucked up polygamy's reputation in predominantly white countries, and because of the huge number of kids they have, that doesn't jive with the overpopulation of the world.

But honestly, I think people like who I think polygamy will end up legal because of should adopt the standards of their new country and not treat their new, wealthy, civilized country like the Third World or oppressed theocratic hellholes they came from...

TL;DR: I can see it legalized out of political correctness and understanding of cultural diversity, but I do not support or endorse it.
NOPE.. aha, I had fun reading this.
Considering societal marriage norms have evolved away from the once accepted practice of polygamy, I'd have to say no. Where gay marriage is pretty much a forgone conclusion as a widely accepted social norm in the next one or two generations (no so different from the legalization of inter-racial marriage), polygamy will likely remain in the position of morally unacceptable and viewed as a societal throwback practiced only by religious nuts (ex. FLDS) and backwoods hicks.
Okay, thanks for the opinion :)
Hmm, it'll be a long time before society accepts one woman marrying a bunch of different guys. She'd be called a slut and plastered all over the news, wouldn't she? Somehow, it'd be more acceptable if a male does it eh? Guaranteed, if polyamorous relationships became acceptable, it'd have a distinct male slant.

Historically, polygamy made sense when there was a shortage of men due to war. We don't have that problem anymore since women can support themselves quite well and men aren't in short supply. There's basically no reason for it except to sleep with as many people as you want to, and it would be legally authorized.
It was acceptable in olden times, and it will be so again. Life and times and cyclical like that. But probably not in our lifetimes.
So...maybe in ATLEAST...three to five generations?
It'll come back. Maybe during the second Roman Empire or something.
Well I personally think that marriage is a union between TWO people who love eachother. I don't like the idea that another woman is having sex with the man I love.
And if we are talking about some other person, or you having sex with 2 men you love?

IE what is your opinion for OTHER people?
Oh, well I find this one interesting. Regarding me with two men, I still think that it should be one. May be I'm old fashioned in this sense; but I find it almost like cheating (even though it's not, I know) but it would feel that way. It's tough because I can't really tell people if it should be legal (what they want to do in their relationships is there business). However, in a polygamous relationship one might initially agree but get jealous later and it could end with tears. Some people would deal with it great, others would have emotional breakdowns. all in all, I think it shouldn't be legal.
Exactly the same risks exist in normal relationships. Maybe the actual magnitude of the risk is not the same, but they still exist.

Is that STILL a reason for it not to be legal? Understand this is one of the few areas I am still grey about. I see no reason beyond legal for marriage to be anything particularly important to me personally, but this goes well beyond me, and human need for ceremonials is virtually universal, similar to human need for romantic relationships, therefore marriage as a concept is always going to be there in one form or another. The question is whether that conception should allow multiple lovers for one person, based on the risks mentioned. The real factor is the actual magnitude of those risks, seen as they exist in normal relationships(jealousy from outside the relationship exists too.). Are they big enough? Will the negative situations they could cause be common enough for the legalisation of such a concept to be a bad thing?
I think that even if it was to become legal, it would still stand as unacceptable in society. What about sexually transmitted diseases? Don't you think these would be more prevalent if more and more people chose to be polygamous, and because say one wife was feeling lonely she went to sleep with another man outside her marriage. Or how would it be if say john was married to Rina, Mary and Bertha. Bertha felt lonely and wasn't getting enough attention so she chooses to marry Fred and Ulric. So she has three husbands and one of those husbands has two other wives. How messed does that sound? And then say Bertha got pregnant, who is the father? Is it John? No John hasn't slept with er because he has been busy keeping Mary and Rina happy. Well then it has to be Fred and Ulric, right? No, because Rina chose to marry James who is attractive and decided to sleep with his wifes other husbands wife. And so, a child was born- Justine who never found out who her father was because all her daddys and her daddys mummies were sleeping with eachother.
Personaly I have never seen the issue with polygami, as long as all parts conscent.