Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

An Eye For An Eye?? Would It Make The Whole World Blind??

:iconmharkneilcudal:
MharkNeilCudal Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Im not much of a fan of the bible myself but I think this is a very big topic at the moment but I wnat to know what YOU think about the subject anyway your response matters alot to me :)

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' Exodus

"An eye for an eye can make the whole world blind." Ghandi

Who is wrong? Who is right? YOU decide!!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontaylor17387:
taylor17387 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
An eye for an eye. That's fair game. And if everybody ended up blind, it would be because everybody deserved it, right? (However, that would never happen: most persons aren't criminals, and less so if the law was so strict).

People find talion law barbaric nowadays, but think about our current system for a moment. In some Muslim country (I don't remember which one, exactly), some guy dropped acid to the face of his wife, and the punishment was burning half his face (because a woman is worth half than a man there). If that had happened in my country, they'd have put the man in jail for some years (not many, really), and after that, he would have gone out and live happily ever after (there's no life imprisonment here, and living conditions in jail are not so bad as in USA).
For me, that doesn't pay for having a burnt face during your whole life. Burning only half his face is also unfair, ok, but still better than the other option.
Or another example that was so much discussed in the media here: A group of young guys, some of them underaged, raped and brutally murdered a teenage girl. They hid the body and refused to tell the police where it was. Everybody knew that they were the murderers, but since there was no body, there was no case.
Now that girl is buried, and all those guys are free and happy. The mother of one of them even received money to talk in a TV show.
THAT'S barbaric.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional General Artist
Well, the vast majority of the Bible is "do onto others as others do onto you",
where as Ghandi is more like "rise above what bad things others do onto you", be the better person, sort of speak.
At least, these are my interpretations, anyway.
I could be wrong.
:shrug:

Personally I believe stooping to the person's level who's done me wrong makes me just as bad as they are, which I don't want to do because then I can't condemn them for what they've done to me if I'm just as willing to do it to them also. Doesn't really solve anything, in my view.
Being the better person and not paying them back in kind doesn't mean I let them get away with it, however, as there are other ways of making them pay for the wrongs they committed against me.
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Vengeance doesn't solve anything, so Ghandi.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
An eye for an eye implies revenge and that would make the whole world blind. However the concept of proportionate punshment for crimes through a legally accept judicial system is sound.
:iconzareste:
Zareste Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
If the whole world is guilty, yeah, it would make the whole world blind.
:iconjustmango:
justMANGO Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
An eye for an eye. Because Kant.
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Neh, poke out my eye, and I will kill you.
:iconmharkneilcudal:
MharkNeilCudal Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Hhahah :L Fair enough
:iconalzebetha:
alzebetha Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
bible of course.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
You still have one eye left... idiots.
Add a Comment: