Details

Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22
:iconaazmatazz:
Aazmatazz Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I read about Noetic Science in the Lost Symbol and found it fascinating. The idea that the human mind can be used to influence the world around us is something that resonates with me, and it's the basis for my belief in Karma. You think positively and the world around you looks more positive...if that makes any sense to you.

Anyway I wanted to know other ppls insights into these Noetic Sciences. If you have never heard of them before have a read on the links below, it's interesting stuff.

[link]
[link]

P.S Sorry about the links, I still don't know how to hyperlink on here lol

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes, I've heard about it. It's quite poorly named, because it's not science at all. The human mind is just an organic computer, and like the inorganic one I'm using right now, it can't influence the surrounding world in any meaningful way simply by processing data. No, like any computer, it needs peripherals, be they the robots on an assembly line or the human body itself.

The reason this nonsense has any popularity at all simply illustrates humans' astonishing capacity for self delusion. It's nice to think you have psychic powers, and that you can make some kind of a difference by thought alone, rather than, say, ACTION. It's the very same reason people pray. It's a way to feel like your helping without actually doing anything.
:iconbeauw:
BeauW Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
If you cultivate a mind that embraces opportunity while expanding as far as possible your definition of opportunity, you will find the world a better place. I don't think this is a controversial position. Look up 'psycho-neuro-immunology' for a more scientifically noetic version of that idea. But if you are interested in practicing- I recommend playing a lot of poker or solitaire, with real cards, for long stretches at a time.
:iconmattyohh:
Mattyohh Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
Is this like when I think of Emma Stone and I get an erection?
Aazmatazz Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
haha thats exactly it
:iconalzebetha:
alzebetha Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
of course can the human mind be used to influence things around us.

Right now I influence my fingers to affect my keyboard keys to call you a moron.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Wishing and willing are two different things.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The idea that the human mind can be used to influence the world around us is something that resonates with me

Of course the human mind can be used to influence the world around us. Human minds direct human actions. When I decided to answer you here, my mind directed my fingers to type these words. Hence, the world is influenced by the mind.

"Noetic theory" is not a theory in the scientific sense; it's just put that way so as to SOUND scientific. Real science is based on observation, not wishful thinking.
Aazmatazz Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sigh. It's strange how ppl can't comprehend something outside of their physical norm. This arguement of 'well my mind made me type this' is ridiculous, because that's not what we are getting at.

Yes ok your positive outlook on life can make you a better person, therefore you go out, make the world a better place blah blah.

But I'm just open to the idea of the mind ACTIVELY warping and twisting the world around us, however minute it may be.

I sort of wish I had retitled this 'Quantum Mind' tbh.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
As if "quantum" is any better. Used outside of a physics or chemistry context, it's almost always a sign of pseudoscience.

I comprehend lots of things outside the physical norm. It's sheer arrogance on your part to assume that disagreement means stupidity. All I ask is that you PROVE it. So far, no one has.

This is just the silly "you create your reality" nonsense in pseudoscientific wrapping.
Aazmatazz Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Woah my man, I never called you stupid. Thats the first thing.

Secondly Theory is by it's definition an intelligent guess based on what we know. Quantum Theory has, 'Theorized' the Higgs Boson's existence, I would imagine a scholar such as yourself will already know of the discovery of the God Particle so surely that is someway to this 'Proof' you are looking for.

No?

Ok well what about things like the Uncertainty Principle or quantum entanglement which is being used inside quantum computers.

I believe these things should open peoples minds and show that, we don't know everything, Physics as we know it could only be the tip of the iceberg. Everything we know about the way the universe works could be blown apart by some of the discoveries being made in this age, so yeah maybe it is "you create your reality", but I don't think it's silly and I think they have proved it may not be complete nonsense.
Add a Comment: