Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 51

What is Satanism?

:iconcooldas:
cooldas Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I read about it a little bit, but never met any Satanists in real life. What do you believe in, and why? How does it affect your outlook on life and your relationships with others? Just curious...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
[link] - An interview with head of satanic church on ThinkingAtheist show.

Give it a listen if you're interested.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I suppose the word itself can refer to multiple things.

There is theistic Satanism, where the practitioner believes Satan is an extant supernatural entity to be worshipped. I am not well versed on this matter, but I suspect that given its unpopularity (for obvious reasons), it must be a mostly personal religion, or one for only very small-scale congregations. With that in mind, it must be highly variable depending on the individual or congregation.

There is also LaVeyan Satanism, a philosophy pioneered by Anton LaVey. Interesting enough, LaVeyan Satanists generally don't believe Satan is a literal, supernatural entity, and instead revere him as a symbol of their ideals, something to strive for. There's a joke that LaVeyan Satanists are just atheists who really like Halloween. Anyway, chief among their core values is personal responsibility. If something is wrong in your life, don't whine about it, make it better, so say the LaVeyan Satanists. I also know that they consider pretensiousness and willful ignorance to be sins.

In either case, I think it's a bit silly. Granted, I find I even mostly agree with the LaVeyan's philosophy, but I just think that anybody who proclaims to worship or revere Satan is just trying to horrify the Christians and draw attention to themselves. As I said, I can even agree with the LaVeyan's much of the time, but it's not at all necessary to have Satan for a role model.
:iconpjubagoni:
pjubagoni Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
satanism is love
I believe in love, cos love is the greatest
stigmatized
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
For a long time of the word's existence, there weren't really Satanists. People just want you to think anyone different was certainly worshipping the devil. However there are modern day LaVeyan Satanism which is more rooted in self determinism and independence rather than relying on an higher power or believing in karmatic justice.
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Other than the church Anton LeVay, I don't think there has ever been any serious Satanic groups.

The thing I find to be very funny about satan, is a lot of the imagery and terms we associate with him are usually a mix of pagan gods.

Such as the image with him having horns and looking like a goat, is actually used in contrast to the greek god pan, silly little guy kind of looks like Satan doesn't he?

They demonized Satan to look like a goat to convert people from praying to the greek gods to Christianity!

You can see some similarities if you line them next to each other!

[link]

[link]

The other funny one is "beelzebub" , which is a mix of the word "Baal", whom was a god to the ancient Phoenicians, and "zebul" which meant "dung". So beelzebub is just an old term the Hebrews came up with to make fun of the Phoenicians deity!
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Both are ways for teenagers to be exceptionally rebellious if they hate their parents more than the regular amount. Or for adults, it's either when those same teenagers never got over it, or have an extra dose of schizophrenia.
:iconalzebetha:
alzebetha Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Schizophrenia? hah. you forgot narzism and egocentrism. Also a bit of Social Darwinism and Eugenics if you want to go into the dephts of it, if you insult me, do it right bitch.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's redundant to say narcissism and ego-centrism, since those things apply to pretty much everyone, whether they admit it or not. It only makes sense to list more specific things.
:iconalzebetha:
alzebetha Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
You need to specify as there are some sub groups. The people that are too romantic and dig angels and flowers and happiness, the heavy metal fetishists, the counter culture.. I, myself am Laveyan, the only group that can defend their philosophy rationally, and that I've found incredibly compelling. what you heard about that already is correct, but I'm here for questions if you have any, oh and the reason striped power is pissed off at them is that I cut at his believes with ockhams razor previously, just a btw. ^^
:iconshadowkyogre:
ShadowKyogre Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
@The part regarding belief dissection of StripedPower and Occam's razor: Would you mind noting me about that?
Add a Comment: