Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 68
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Writer
Two things with this post.

1) Is science a religion in your opinion. If so, then why?

2) Do you think the world is going to end? No, not the Mayan bullshit - science. Science states that every 20,000 years the north and south poles switch to help with something (sorry I don't know the entire thing, but I can link you a few articles) and it caused the Ice Age. This can create a solar storm that can knock out every living creature and/or take us back to the Stone Age.

Here are my opinions -

1) Yes and no. Science has been, in fact, proven wrong at times by being revised (Periodic Table...and many other things). Religion can't always be proven wrong though. There are differences, but science can still seem like a religion in a way.
2)I don't want to believe it, so I'm conflicted as of right now.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlilium-cruentus:
Lilium-Cruentus Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lawl, the poles switch all the time from frequencies of maybe hundreds or less to millions of years at random and have never been found to be linked to mass extinctions. As far as I'm aware it has never even been found to have a causal relationship with climate change on any scale, let alone full on ice ages.
Or at least thousands, I haven't studied geology in a few years now so I don't remember the exact time scales anymore.
ssensory Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Writer
Weird, the article and people in my class (they were seniors and my friends who are serious people) must have the information screwed up I suppose. :nod:
That actually wasn't supposed to sound as rude as it did by the way >.< sorry about that.
That's okay!
Presumably. I was taught by some of the world's top geologists and palaeontologists in their fields, so I'd go by what they say really.
Oh, we'll I'm only taught my average teachers, the Internet, and my one friend. (Fact like things) So, I wouldn't hold them to be correct if they aren't the best.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
No it is not a religion

Yes the world will end but everything else you mentioned there is bollocks. People equate the world ending with humanity dying. If we die before the world ends is hard to say or if the world will end but we won't. Either way, in a few billion years the Sun will become a red giant and destroy the planet.
I meant to say killing off mankind, but it would be the end of the world for us in a sense. I didn't mean for it to be world actually ending because of a new ice age.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
An ice age certainly wouldn't kill us off. It could drastically reduce our numbers and cause serious havoc but we could survive better than practically any creatures of similar size. Humans can live practically anywhere on the planet, from the desert to Siberia.
Add a Comment: