Real Sims

I was watching my Missus play the Sims 3 the other night. Her sim was sat playing on a non de script games console and I thought to myself first 'What a pointless waste of life it is watching an avatar play games'
Then I thought about what if we are the latest incarnation of the sims. Everything we see, hear, smell, touch is computer controlled (similar to the matrix) but someone is actively effecting your path through 'life'

I suppose it could be an argument for god, but I'm just wondering why the 'rosebud' money cheat doesn't work :(
Comments89
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
dude, i cant tell you how many times ive considered that possibility.
and what sort of things have you come up with?
The idea that "Gods" are actually just players who control or dictate or control different religions, but then were do agnostic people fall into play? idk. so straying away from a religious aspect maybe we have 2 selfs, one in this reality and one in another, and our conscious is stuck in this reality, but our subconscious or unconscious mind is how we access the other reality, and its not until we die that we transfer back to that reality, and our life is just a complete game, or complex animation, that we just cannot remember entering.
i dont actually believe all this, but they are just thoughts that go through my head from time to time. hah
I know what you mean man.

I can't imagine what happens when we die. I just can't imagine not waking up y'know?

Nature is big on recycling, we die, we rot, we go back into the ground so our energy can go back into the life cycle. Could be the same with our minds ?
depends on your philosophy of mind. if you believe in monism, you believe that mind and body are one. But if your dualistic, which i think gets a little more complex with all of the different possibilities and theories, you believe that your conscious mind is separate from the brain and the body, therefor allowing the possibility that when you are done with your body, it may move on to some other realm/dimension ect.
Hmmm I'm gonna have to give this some though lol. I think I may be a dualist....swords at the ready.

In regards to the Sims. Wouldn't we notice the expansion packs being installed? Also what happens when our players go to sleep
I lean towards dualism, but take monism to be a possibility as well. Imagine anything innovative as an expansion pack. Every exemplar of a paradigm is the expansion, and the world is upgraded and we understand and take things to be "true" completely differently to that. And as for sleeping, this may be a strange comparison but, have you seen that new little kids movie or whatever called "Wreck it Ralf?" if not, its basically about how after the arcades close all the characters in the games can meet together, and do whatever until they are supposed to go back before the arcade opens, and they just made a movie of the idea. but imagine that sleeping is when our player is taking a break from the game, and we travel through our version of a cyber world.
View all replies
Well I have one shitty player and he needs to get his shit together.
I know what you mean. I think my player might be a stoner...
If that's so, then we are pretty poorly programmed.
Man, if you ever find out it's true I want you to personally message me and tell me what the 'kaching' cheat is!! ;) You could look at Sims as being a waste of time but it's fun being a demi-god, especially if you can't control a lot of things going on in your life. Plus there's always the comforting thought that you could say "I couldn't help it! Somebody clicked my 'mean' button or chose 'absent minded' as one of my traits, not my fault!"
haha agreed.

'Hi Officer. Oh yeah about that, my player made me drink all those beers and spirits, then we didn't have the money to get a taxi so he forced me to drive home. Parking the car in the hedge isn't a problem because that's all going to make way for the moat'
Haha I thought about that once :XD: ...well yeah why not, I mean its not like we will ever find out :lmao:
I don't think that's the case because, first of all, the computing power necessary to create a continuous simulation of the whole universe would be astronomical. I, for one, suspect that our computer technology will eventually plateau, since you can't miniaturize components below the atomic scale. It may be that we'll never be able to create a computer that powerful. Not to mention that there's nothing at all to imply we're in a computer simulation, and Occam's Razor would suggest that the universe is what it seems, rather than the considerably more complicated computer-simulation idea.

This speculation is ultimately pointless, though. Regardless of the exact nature and origin of the universe, it is consistent, and any consistent system can be exploited. As long as we can exploit the universe for our own benefit, what does it matter whether it's a computer simulation or not?
Nope. Spore did it. Just because it seems big to us, doesn't mean that it is.
Spore is hardly a faithful representation of the universe. It is extremely simplified. In the real world, there are approximately 10^80 atoms in the observable universe alone, and a computer simulation would have to model each and every one of them, keeping them spinning and interacting appropriately. In Spore, you can't build an electron microscope and examine individual atoms because they aren't there. In our world, however, you can.
That explains why there is so much suffering in the world.

[link]
I've thought about this countless times. :) I just wish there was an "Aging Off" cheat or hack for RL.
What I would give for a no clipping mode you could toggle on and off in RL. Just walking through walls, bank vaults, secret places...awesome
And then what if the Sims are sentient begins like us as well?
...I suddenly feel horrible about my past sim playing.
Jeez, that reminds me about the first time I purposely killed my Sim. I starved him. I deleted the fridge, whenever he was going to a restaurant I'd cancel the action. I remember the time he died too. He had just woke up from a uneasy sleep, after the 'Wake Up' action he immediately fell to his knees and died.
When I was younger I always thought it was fun to make a family then the first thing I would do was kill one parent in either a fire or drown them...
I..I'm horrible.
Yeah, I then put a guy I called Experiment #129 in the same house. I got rid of the fire alarm, put the least reliable fire place all over the house, and cancelled and action for cooking something. I then made him walk into the exact location the fire would start. After he caught ablaze on lookers stared in through the window. I felt something terrible come over me, like I'm some sort of monster. Since then I haven't purposely killed a sim.