Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 77

My Views of Religion

:iconmcdenis09:
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
DISCLAIMER: No, I will not bash a certain group.

Well, to start things off I'll talk a bit about my religious beliefs. I am Apatheist. I just don't give enough shits to shake a stick at the possibility of a god. I just don't care if there is or isn't one to be simple. And I don't think it will mater either. But on to the main course.
I think that if you make a rant about how another religious belief is wrong, you immediately become one of the monkeys in the middle flinging their feces at each other. Which is kinda pathetic. (Aw, dammit, just broke my own rule.)It's a useless war that will never cease to end until the death of man. Just like console wars. And to be honest, anyone who has ever insulted another religion should be ashamed of themselves. You've just taken part in the never ending war, thanks dip-shit. (Not talking to any specific person.)

Well, there it was two paragraphs of my two-sense.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
However, religion has proven time and time again to be a destructive force, whether it's the Muslims who blew up the world trade center, or just an American Christian who opposes gay marriage. It creates unnecessary suffering, and perhaps its worst quality is that it has no "reality check." It seems all religions like to promise is reward after death, so there is no opportunity for a religious person to realize they've been mistaken in time for them to ameliorate their actions. It is only through the spread of education and logic that we can combat the destructive aspects of religion, and keep them from cropping up in the future, or as you like to phrase it, to "become one of the monkeys in the middle flinging their feces at each other."

Further, I don't believe you when you call yourself an "apatheist." What you really are, I think, is uncommitted. Faced with the prospect of having to digest weighty logical arguments, and perhaps alienating friends and family, you have simply decided not to take a stance. This is intellectual laziness, and it's a bad habit you had best be rid of. As one of my professors used to say, "A citizen without an opinion is a bad citizen."
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So what you're saying is that everyone that's apart of a religion should be sent to a death camp?
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Where the bloody hell did you get that from? I said nothing of the sort! I'm tempted to explain to you how ridiculous that sounds, but I'm inclined to think you're being deliberately absurd, as to avoid having a conversation of any substance. That would be very consistent with intellectual laziness, sure enough.
Well, it just sounded like you wanted all religion to die a fiery death.
True, I consider it one of the worst aspects of human nature, but what you said is just silly, for a multitude of reasons. Among them, persecution does not make people give up their religion. The Jews alone ought to be proof enough of that. In fact, I specifically said "it is only through the spread of education and logic that we can combat the destructive aspects of religion, and keep them from cropping up in the future."

Now do you have anything reasonable to say? Perhaps you'd like to tell me how you reconcile apathy with the abundance of religious atrocity?
Well yes, about the persecution part actually. As it seems of the moment, the internet is being swept by a storm of 'new' Atheists that believe that persecuting those that belong to a religion will convert them to be Atheist. *COUGH* r/ atheism *COUGH*
You have a very skewed perception of persecution, if you really mean that. Persecution is when you give a certain group inferior rights to everyone else, simply for being of that group. A Jew in Nazi Germany who is forcibly relocated into a ghetto is being persecuted. A Christian whose argument is dismantled before them in a debate is being educated. When someone says something you find logically objectionable, you should raise your objections, lest the faulty idea be propagated. That's what we call intellectual honesty. Yourself, for example. I told you my take on "apatheism" because I believe it is illogical and potentially harmful. Do you now consider yourself persecuted? It was your idea to come put this up on the internet. You have by all means invited criticism, and if you cannot answer it, you had best rethink your position.
Ah, yes you do prove a point, but what if it's just blunt insults?
(1 Reply)
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
so you come onto a forum dedicated to philosophy and make a thread that is ment to incite questions and discussions just so you could tell us tha you dont care about religion?

boy, thats an aweful lot of not caring.
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
SURE IS, DEE-HUR.
Add a Comment: