Scientist finds the afterlife

A book will be published soon by a Neurosurgeon Dr Rbden Alexander. His book will be called 'Proof of Heaven'

He was convinced as most scientist are that 'near-death' experiences were just random firings of distressed neurons in the brain.
Until it happened to him and he ended up in a 7 day coma due to an infection. He had no cortical function and was brain dead.

But in that time things happened to him that he can hardly describe but three statements came to him clear and loud:

1) You are loved and cherished,dearly ,for ever
2)You have nothing to fear
3)There is nothing you an do wrong

So what would you do if you knew that you had nothing to fear in this life and that you were utterly loved and cherished?
Discuss..
Comments82
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
This "Scientist" has found out he's insane if anything...
He's either a crackpot or just shamelessly cashing in on people's insecurities. Either explanation is a vastly more likely prospect, I think, than there actually being an afterlife. At least this book is a little less insulting than that one where a child tries to convince us of the afterlife. I think it's called, Heaven is for real. At least a scientist begins with a little more ethos than a child.

Anyway, as for your question, I can't even imagine such a scenario. One of my greatest fears is failure, and if I had nothing to fear, then I could never fail. It doesn't make any sense. The only things worth doing are those which pose some threat of failure. By the way, I'm already utterly loved and cherished by a multitude of people, i.e. my family, and it's a fact of which I rarely take any notice. Love doesn't really affect my plans.
sounds like an ayawaska trip. did he come in contact with any "aliens" or "supernaturals?"
Don't think so but then no-one has seen his book yet ;-) At least he can't be any worse than 'David Ike' who thinks all people in power are lizards from outer space.
Sounds like, as does every other normally logical thinker made a whole shit ton of assumptions of a "supernatural" area he briefly experienced that we don't know anything about. I hope he has solid evidence of his claims.
Why, one could go as far to say that while he was 'braindead' that the part of his brain that handled logic was offline!
I once had a dream that I was falling, I did not wake up on the ground, was my mind deceiving me? I do not know but I did not maintain a belief as though I had fallen. Did it actually happen in another plain I don't know. Form photography and may own experience I have learned the mind fills in information that my eye does not detect My mind is actually creating a fictitious reality. Most people do not see things or remember things exactly the same for this reason, until it is pointed out to them and there are enough processed similarities they come to a general consensus. The mind even allows for the changing of one belief for a more palatable one. I am not denying Dr. Alexander's belief in what he believes "happened" to him; there is also the possibility, with so many near death experiences in our midst, his mind filled in what it could not process in an attempt to complete the picture. It is a survival tool that inform the mind how to best respond to a perceived threat or desire. God and Heaven is an amazing thing, I just don't believe this man has any plausible information to share any more than a person who experiences alien abduction. Get a group of people, all die together, come back together, repeat several times, compare notes, and he may have a theory.
wish thinking is wishful.
He's clearly suffered brain damage of some kind.
As a scientist he should know that his experiences when is brain is clearly not functioning normally are possibly the worst basis for an argument. Such claims will get shot down in seconds.
But he's a phd! He can't be wrong. Look he even has a shiny white coat and professional aura about him. :noes:
Just because someone hears voices in their mind while they're in a coma is no solid proof of an after-life; they may chose to believe that and that's entirely up to them, but unless they can show some physical proof to the rest of the world. it's Theory and Speculation.

Personally I already know there's nothing to fear in this world but Fear, itself.
While a healthy dose of fear can teach people to be cautious about potentially dangerous situations, this helping their survival, fear itself isn't necessary to live life...in my opinion, anyway.
And I already know I'm loved and cherished by the people whom I also love and cherish, which is really all that matters to me.
Link to anything not paraphrased by you plz.
It's not that I don't believe you per say, it's just... As far as understand brain death, it is impossible to come back from.

I'd like to read something written about it.
I'm sure you can Google it for yourself. As I said it was just from a newspaper. It was just open for discussion for others to tear apart.
Actually, if you make a claim, you're the one who should back it.
You take this all too seriously don't you..
No, I simply asked you to back your claim, you're the one with your knickers in a bunch.
Which Religion's heaven did he experience? Fuck the book we can solve the worlds religious differences right now. Oh, what's that? Wait for the book?
Nah, I'll catch it when it comes to theaters.
Oh look!
A new person has found Big Foot DNA and has made wonderous claims and yet.....once again, has no evidence or proof to back up their story. Just like all the people who claim to have died and gone to their version of heaven.

[link]
I was wondering why you didn't provide sources... Your description of his case is quite incorrect (and you spelled his name wrong).

The man was, in fact, not brain dead. Nor was his neocortex not-functioning, which should go without saying. The thalamus, basal ganglia, and brainstem are deeper brain structures (‘subcortical regions’) and most likely contributed to the processing of such hyperreal experiences, and his case were still active, even if his neocortex had not been functioning (which it was, but... I digress).

According to Mark Cohen, a neurologist, the neocortical inactivity described by Dr. Alexander is “brain death, a 100 percent lethal condition.” If Dr. Alexander had been brain dead as he described it, he would not have survived, or would have remained in a vegetative state for the remainder of his life hooked up to machines. What a way to live.
After hearing this remark via the media, Alexander changed his previous story to the line “well, the thing is I would not say completely inactive...” Although in his book he did. Strange.

Basically what's happening here is that Dr. Alexander is saying 'trust me, I'm a doctor', and people are trusting him without doing their own research. One particular person kind of put it into context on a comment under one of the articles I'm leaving for you all:
My hallucinations have more evidentiary value than the average hallucination. Because I'm a doctor.

:bulletred: [link]
:bulletorange: [link]
Thanks for the links and the further info. I just picked it up from a piece in a newspaper nothing more. And yes it was spelt incorrectly, my apologies ;-)
Yeah, unfortunately doctors are notorious for doing these sorts of things, and then expecting credibility in their story because of the degrees they've earned. For example, do you remember the study done by one particular doctor who claimed that vaccines and Autism were connected? He made his research up in order to get published. All lies. It stinks.
Yeah, that guy was lying to get noticed. But this particular person, he'll either get laughed at or pitied.