If there was no God would you behave differently?

Most people behave in society because they believe in a Higher Power and don't want to get in trouble with the law or face God for their deeds on Judgement Day. So if there is no God, why worry about how you act? Why worry about the law? In the LA riots the police were powerless and weren't much of a deterrent. Why does not everybody do what they want if there are no consequences for their actions?
Comments372
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm an atheist, and I see the problem. The problem here is, that if Heaven didn't exist, our current lives would have no meaning because there is no later compensation, allowing us to fuck up as much as we want. But it isn't exactly like that.

You have to see life as a compensation of itself. You only have one, and you (probably) would try to aim at using it in the best way possible. So you aim not to screw up so that you'll be able to enjoy the rest of it. For the better of society murder is, in most cases, illegal, leading to a unfavorable punishment if caught.
But that's ethics. What about our own morals, in our heads willing to commit something unlawful but knowing we can't? What if we just eliminated all the laws? Society would have a great step back, going back to "who's stronger wins", but eventually we'd go back to another law system to balance violence out because the stability is favorable for most members of the society.
I am an atheist, so I don't believe god exists anyway. I behave with logic and empathy towards my fellow man. I am not being held responsible by an all knowing deity, but I am being held responsible by the other 7 billion people on this planet. If we all work together, it makes things a lot easier. I don't need god looking over my shoulder to not act like an ass.
Isn't there already no God?
I don't know, is there? If not my Sunday School teacher lied.
Your always ticking someone off no matter what you do.
You noticed that too I see. 3Wy just hates me is all. I'm going back to the Movie Fan Central forums. At least they love me there.
well i didnt me YOU personally but in general. ME, you, everyone else cant live to their own without making someone mad.
Then why do you have that Schmeisser in your hands?
Congrats on knowing what it is.
anyway, i'm a wwii nut,i like video games and i'm irish, the pics all three. Its from the game saboteur by the way
They have so many video games out you would be hard pressed to keep up with even 1% of them.
There still arent enough.
I dont even understand how you can relate the law of society to the laws of your god. the laws of society are just a manifestation of civilization, not the laws required to be abided by and instructed by your god. They are imaginary morality created by many illogical and logical reasoning. For example, prohibition of drugs in general have absolutely nothing to do with your faith in god. in fact many cultures use drugs to help them meditate or "speak" to their higher power. but society says that these things are "bad" and against the law. which makes no logical sense. along with many other things. and if you do not believe in god, then you have absolutely no reason to abide by the moralities of anything, other than your inner conscience. ect ect. i could ramble on forever.
I have no religious beliefs so...no.
Are you implying that people have no sense of morality and that the confirmed absence of a higher power would result in everyone just losing their shit?
well, I see the world going to pot in spite of people's morality. If you only knew the deep secrets that the people in power on this planet have you would probably "lose your shit".
Well I would like you to know, a significant chunk of the world has been to pot. As in Europe. As in the Middle Ages. As in the Bubonic Plague. As in the ideological dispute post-Reformation which set the tone for European politics and religious debate for the hundreds of years. And Europe I still kicking, albiet in the case of some countries more atheist and less witch-burning.

So you purport to know the secrets of 'the people in power on this planet'? Pray tell what are these secrets. I'm assuming it's deeper than maybe the financial minister of Australia secretly has a foot fetish.
If there was no god the whole world would go out of balance and the planet would be a dark place
If there was no god we would all be dead by now. I'm assuming you have heard of the wayward neutron star that is heading our way and due to arrive in about 75 years. But we will all be dead Dec 21st anyway.
I know without god I wouldn't be here I love being alive and Isn't that star called nibiru?
I have no idea what it is called, but in 75 years it will be called the Death Star and it's gravity will tear Earth into itty bitty pieces.
I don't know. The animal kingdom seems to do fairly well without any gods.
I highly doubt that. :lol:
It's ok everybody has their own opinion