Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 96

Does God fear what he/she created?

:iconadelaidejohn1967:
Adelaidejohn1967 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Well according to that really fun book called the Bible humans spoke one language, and then came the tower of Babel where someone wanted to build a huge tower to the heavens.

God wasn't too thrilled at that, and yet he says how clever we humans are that we can work together, yet out of either fear or spite then scrambles our spoken language so that we all now speak different languages.......

Did he/she do this out of spite or fear that we would one day become as smart or like gods ourselves if we continued to work together?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvicsor-s3:
Vicsor-S3 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't know about humanity, but he should definitely fear Batman.
:iconggordons:
GGordonS Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It has never worked for me to judge my fellow man. Every time a judgmental thought comes into my head it isolates me from the rest of humanity. This problem occurs hundreds of times a day, and builds me up and up and up. Then the truth smashes my tower of self righteousness and knocks me on my ass. It is my fault that I experience the pain that comes with this fall, because I was the one putting myself on the pedestal. No one can understand what I'm saying because I'm babbling from the position that I am better than everyone else. No one can work together in a situation like this, this is why my relationships crumble. God help us all.
God is beyond petty fear and spite.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
If he's capable of jealousy and rage why not fear?
These are all just words, they are applicable to God only as allegory, and then are often misinterpreted. God is beyond words, emotions and our own faulty minds.
I'd have to assume you are speaking of a nebulous force or universal consciousness rather than the biblical interpretation. Because the description of God in the bible IS that of a petty jealous, narcissit with a genocidal temper. Who is willing to torture people forever for so much as not believing in the bible or anyone pushing it.
No.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
If you look at the things God did in that book, you'll see that we are closing in on being able to match him, so I'd say yes. Things like turning water into wine and holding the sun still in the sky is beyond us, for now, but fire from the skies, destroying cities in seconds and make thundering voices come from the skies are rather easy for us.
:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Sir Humphrey Dumpty fell of the wall from laughter, poor Humpty could not be put back together again.
Civilizations grew out of many spots, that's why there are different languages.
Not all babies first words are Mama, Papa.
To answer the question it was pure spite, me and the GOD dude were discussing it at poker last night.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
God is a monster.
Adelaidejohn1967 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Hmmmmmmm Monster for what reasons?
Just read all of the old testament.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
for all the reasons in the world.
:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
You ever play go-fish. Go-fish. I guess who or what ever doesn't have much to worry about.
Green eggs and ham is a fun book too.
:iconhouseclearance:
houseclearance Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
God did that not He fear that we would become like Him rather God did that because humans is starting to get proud.
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
It's obviously not a true story as the space program should have pissed God off royally. There is currently a satellite that has escaped our solar system.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
The same text you are referencing mentions neither fear nor spite. You can't just add these on your own and then claim it as part of the text.

We do have context that explains this very clearly as neither fear nor spite, but I don't think you nor anyone who entertains you really cares about that.
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
The story of the Tower of Babel is a 10,000 year old story some guy told that explains where foreigners come from.

For example, If it story took place in modern day America, it would explain where Mexicans come from!
:iconkenny-white-lion:
Kenny-White-Lion Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not at all.
:iconthebonga:
thebonga Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist
Well, imagine you created something. Then all of a sudden, that creation starts to try and reach your level. Or even surpass you. And not in a friendly way either, but more like, "I'm better than you. You created me but that doesn't mean anything, I don't need your help."

There's a lot more to it, and you're gonna get a ton of different answers. But it all really comes down to, what is your perception of God? I personally have found Him to be all knowing, all powerful, loving, and merciful, but also holy. The big issue with Babel was that the people were full of selfishness, pride and, ultimately, sin as they tried to surpass their Creator. And God cannot have anything to do with sin (which is anything that goes against His nature or will). It sounds a little confusing, and it's a little difficult for me to explain, but if you really want to know, I suggest you read the Bible for yourself. The internet will not give you the answer.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Yes. It should
:iconninjawolfleader:
ninjawolfleader Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Photographer
He never feared us, i think it was his way of saying "No, that is not how you can get in to Heaven"
it's a pretty sick way of doing that.
:iconninjawolfleader:
ninjawolfleader Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Photographer
But would they have listened otherwise?
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Digital Artist
That's always been my interpretation of it, especially because of verses 6 and 7, where he says that if they can do this, than nothing will be impossible for them, so he say "let us go down" and fuck their shit up.

This is also keeping in context with Genesis 3:22 where he casts man out of eden for becoming more like them (him and whoever else he keeps talking to).
That's how I have seen this story. Here we had the first humans all speaking one tongue and building this great tower, then "god" get's all upset about it and say's let's go fuck that shit up.. Can't have them becoming as smart as us.......
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Tower of Babel was stupid by concept. It was a reference to human misunderstanding, hence the mixup of tongues. People who aren't aligned in understanding, cannot work together properly. Also, they were "misaligned" together, as the Tower couldn't possibly reach the actual "Heaven", unless it was a holy necropolis or something.

The cause and the effect are essentially the same thing. It's only our perspective based on time that kind of stretches and smears it across its canvas.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
God fears humans the same way Blizzards fears Monks in Diablo III.

Monks were nerfed because frankly it was overpowered.
[link]

This doesn't mean monks in the game would somehow become smarter than the programmers.
Unless said monk was a programmer capable of hacking the game.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Show me one.
It's a hypothetical. I haven't heard of any for Diablo 3 because I don't play it but on just about any game hackers/modders have manipulated code or exploited a glitch to gain an advantage in game.
Through science we manipulate existence.
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
God did it because humans wanted to show that they are equal to Him. And He just proved them wrong.
and proved itself to ba a childish being
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
actually, no ^^
:iconkalinka-shadows:
Kalinka-Shadows Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
If the Christian Yahweh exists, it's very possible that we are beyond his ability to control any longer. He either never existed in the first place, or he was an Alien being that wanted to oppress and enslave us (very unlikely, more likely he never existed.)

If he did exist, His powers looked miraculous to the desert barbarians that founded the religion, but would not be impressive at all to Humans today. If Yahweh in one form or another returned today, at least 75% of Earth's Armies if nor more would unify against the 'invading Aliens' as that's how we as Humans would perceive them. If we as Humans prevailed, we would then proceed to rationalize it as: This isn't REALLY God, it's some creatures from another world/dimension tricking us into believing it was him, when it's not.

Because what Christians as a group want is social control.
And what if it really WAS God? Like, you know, having all of the traits of a God, being omnipotent, everseeing, good and so on and so on?

Why the alien theory?
The description of the Yahweh depicted in the Torah as described by Moses and other Old Testament authors when Yahweh acted seemed like he had very limited Genie like powers. Jesus was pretty much the same way. Raising people from comas, rather than the dead, performing Miracles that we can do today with modern science, just in a different way, and doing things that the God of the Bible couldn't.

If you read the Old Testament, Yahweh's character seems to be not unlike Apollo, or Ares, a limited war god with limited powers. In the New Testament, you don't have Yahweh doing much of anything at all. I see a few possibilities here:

1. The whole thing was an invented fabrication. There never was a Yahweh. He was an invented character and Jesus was just one of his followers that thought he was his son, he died, and Paul took a bunch of other stuff and stitched it together to make a coherent narrative.

2. Yahweh was an Alien being from some other place that considered us to be like livestock. He either never had any interest in Humans, we as Humans just had the misfortune of encountering these beings we did not understand.

3. Yahweh was a natural Phenomena, I've heard many hypothesis that Yahweh was a Volcano. (eruption of Mount Bedr or Mount Vesuvius?) Ancenstors get caught up in a volcanic eruption, the 'punishment' from 'God' is that you burn forever in a lake of fire.
Not doing something doesn't mean you can't.

1. Not very plausible

2. If 0 interest, they why bother pretending you're a god?

3. Volcano can't create a universe, I mean, I've never seen any doing that.
I'll only address one and three, because in situation two, the Aliens might not have been.

1. There are many instances in the Bible where something Jesus said sounds like Paul talking. In fact I would not at all be surprised if Paul did change the story to fit the narrative. We'll never know, there are many editions of the Bible and they all say something different. I do think Jesus did exist, I just think he was an ordinary person, perhaps a Rabbi, with a mother named Mary and a father named Joseph. Parts of his life were blatantly plagiarized from myths about Mithra, Horus, Dionysus, and Osirus.

Truth be told; it's almost impossible to separate the man from the Myth. We do know that things have been changed, but to what extent we may never know.

3. No, that vocano didn't, but those villagers didn't understand that.
1. Yeah, Bible is edited, and the stories vary, but every single one state it very clearly that Jesus wasn't an ordinary man.

2. Yeah, but there were things in Bible that can't be perceived as natural phenomenon.
It's more plausible that a merely more technologically advance life form to exist than an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent being. As God seems to fail at being all three of these descriptions at the same time.
Actually, no ^^
:iconzinc-tails:
Zinc-Tails Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Clarke's third law "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

A highly advanced life-form could conceivably appear god like. Take a tazer back in time and become the god of thunder...Don't get me wrong I don't believe in that "ancient alien" bunk, merely reinforcing Saeter's point.
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Actually, there are things described in the book that can't be dragged under 'advanced technology'

plus why would you reinforce saeter's point? Either troll or very dumb, so I quit talking to him xd
Zinc-Tails Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Nothing is above scrutiny, to say otherwise is merely special pleading.
(1 Reply)
Then how do you explain suffering?
:iconthebonga:
thebonga Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist
This is what I believe:

God is all loving. So much so that He gave up His Son to die for our sins, which we were completely unable to atone for on our own. But also so much so that He allows us free choice. And that's where suffering comes from. The free choice of fallen man. If God intervened every step of the way, we wouldn't really have free choice.

Is God saddened that we sin? Absolutely. Is He saddened that there is suffering? Absolutely.

Christians suffer too. I've known of godly men and women who died from cancer, murder, torture, etc. There's a choice to trust God through it. Myself? My family doesn't understand my personal choices to follow God in what I believe to be His will for my life. My parents are getting a divorce. My sister is constantly in the hospital and the doctor's don't know what's wrong. And I know there are much worse things out there, but that doesn't stop it from hurting. But what can I do? Trust that my God is all powerful, sovereign, loving, and WILL work this out for good. Because the Bible says so. And I have found relief and comfort in that.

I hope that answers some of your question.
Free will can exist without suffering and if God were both truly omnipotent and omnibenevolent it would be a reality. However since that is not a reality one must assume that God is either uncaring, impotent or malevolent.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister but there are means of comfort that can be achieved without religion.
(1 Reply)
It doesn't really require more than just a couple of minutes of thinking, I assure you.
Zinc-Tails Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yea all those master philosophers that have grappled with the problem of evil and why there is suffering all pale in comparison with your mighty intellect. Clearly you can solve in minutes what has taken them centuries...
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: