Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Rationalism is dead. Long live rationalism!

Do you know what rationalism is? Do you know its dogma? Are you perverse like me?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It'd be nice if you actually were more specific. I could say half of your threads don't incite discussion because no one ever knows what the hell you are asking.
I assume rationalism is the act of being rational.
Rationalism is an extreme philosophy opposed to empiricism and the act of being rational.
How can it be against being rational if it's called rationalism?
"rationalism is "any view appealing to reason as a source of knowledge or justification". In more technical terms, it is a method or a theory "in which the criterion of the truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive""
Sounds like what science does to me, using reason to get to conclusions. I'm not sure where you get your definition from.
I get my defintion from books, not Google. All the same, if science was all thought and no brains, it'd be impossible.
You have to have a brain to think; and proper reasoning often requires a lot of knowledge in the field you are studying.
What is proper is forethought.
Vulcans are the best examples of insane people.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Because they base their ''world''view on empirical evidence rather than subjective emotions?
Because they base their worldview solely on logic.
I guess they would be understandably defenseless to illogical beings.
They wouldn't be able to function normally, they'd be utterly helpless.
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My parents call me rational and constantly babble on about how weak I am because of it.
Rationalism is the quickest way to insanity.
Dafuq? If anything, being rational is a GOOD thing, since at least you can reason better than 99% of the goddamn population. Damn people always rely on emotional bias instead of actual facts to decide ANYTHING.
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Rationalism that does not account for emotional motivation or alteration is irrational.

THAT is at least defendable.
Yeah, people tend to be too easily swayed by emotion when the persuader wants it, such as when people compare ANYTHING to Hitler or that kind of nonsense. Emotion can be good sometimes, but it isn't very good for basing reasoning off of.
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Actually without it, you cannot relate to it. 50% of reasoning is used to satisfy our own desires, which are essentially emotions.

Not in intellectual exercises, of course, but they are not the only things fot which we use our rationality.
Elaborate please.
They say that a real man acts on impulse, that his instincts and love for his family should be the primary motivation for anything.

This was recently touched on in a family conversation in which I was crucified in front of everybody because in the hypothetical situation of my mother punching a man in the face, I would question her motives for doing so instead of helping her beat him to a pulp.

Apparently the "right" answer was help her beat him up, ask questions later.
Rather tribalistic mentality your family has. No offense.

Your family is quite clearly in the "wrong" as any rational person would question the incident.

Is your family particularly religious and/or maintain any prejudices if I may ask?
Tribalistic was the only word I could've thought at that point. No offense taken.

As for their prejudices... they don't like atheists, Satanists, anything related to pagans (from Wicca to Voodo, male homosexuals, muslims, and interracial couples.

I feel as if I don't belong around such people... but they are my family, and I still love them so.
I am the only outspoken atheist in my family but then again my mom was into santeria for a spell (pun intended). And an uncle that believes in ancient aliens.
My younger brother is an apathetic atheist bordering on nihilist (he prefers being referred as nihilistic but he's far to civilized). Everyone else in my family however are wishy-washy in that they don't seem to take it all that seriously.

Have you ever discussed the subject as to why they hold them or is it just the face value Christian dogma?

How old are you as you may want to be self reliant if you are to confront them on this?
I tried a long time ago to discuss, such things but in an authortarian parental status, my parents don't want to hear anything from me. What they say goes, unless "you're paying the bills around here." There's no explaining anything, ever.

The thing is, they all claim not to be "primarily Christian." We all practiced Kabbalah for a year, and went our separate ways with our independent (and very similar) beliefs about God. They say that Christianity brought too much prejudice about them, but fail to see their own. It's frustrating to behold such hypocrisy, to see them all revert back to their old xenophobic ways without the help of religion. Personally, I don't think they learned anything from it. they certainly don't think or act as such.

If I were ever to tell them that they were wrong for holding such animosity towards other humans, they would probably first interrogate me to see if I was trying to piss them off, humiliate me in front of my brothers for being "weak," (I can already seeing them saying that real men know who believes what's right and what's just wrong), and then kick me out with nothing to my name.

I turned 18 a month ago, but it doesn't matter. I'm not allowed to live here with a job (I have two brothers in their 20s living here, my parents want us to stay until we're married), so I can't save up for an apartment or anything. If I were to confront them, it would be when I'm out of school and independent where hearing their voices and obeying them is a choice.
I wouldn't stress the matter until you are capable of living on your own. Or find yourself an atheist girlfriend to move in with and then tell them off.
Don't shoot yourself in the foot though choose the right moment when you feel safe that doing so doesn't leave you in dire straights.

Know that there is an atheist community and try to get in contact with them. They may even provide an out you desire or join the military if you're desperate to get out.
Contrary to popular belief there are atheists in foxholes and there is a group dedicated to just that. Hard for your family to claim you're weak after coming back from boot camp.
(1 Reply)
A real man acts on forethought.
I'm not clairvoyant, and neither are you. We're human. We may think ahead for many things, but we cannot predict such things happening like random fights. And I don't fight unless it's for my life.

I'm going to end up telling you the same thing they refused to let me explain. I question everyone's motives. I'm not going to regret doing wrong to another human just because someone I love decided to also. Choosing not to participate does not make me weak. Weak-minded people solve their trivial problems with their fists and weapons.

I wish I could act on everything with forethought. It'd be more ideal. I wouldn't make mistakes.
Everything that you just said was forethought; to err is human.
Alas, I had time to say that. I could convey such an idea only with time.
Can you remember your name?
(1 Reply)
Rationalism is not about being rational, it is an extreme philosophy.
What is not rational is extremes.
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Rationalism and being weak... whut? How?
Add a Comment: