Angry atheists

I've noticed a lot of atheists are very angry towards religion and religious people.
They lash out at them, they attack them, and call them very hurtful things.
Very often I have seen atheists tell religious people that they are ignorant, brainwashed, and even "less of a person" for believing in something.
Why are so many atheists so hateful?
And doesn't it take a lot of time and energy to attack others for their beliefs? Why not live and let live?

(This is NOT targeted at anyone, if you are NOT like this it is NOT about you. I know a lot of religious people are the same way, not denying that. I also know a lot of wonderful atheists.)
Comments259
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I never really believed in anything, but there was a time when i really tried because that's what i thought was right at the time. But admitting to others that i was confused about the whole thing made me less and less accepting of religion. I was told i was going to hell, that my future children were going to hell, that i would never be loved, that i deserved to be tortured and to die a horrible death, and that i obviously didn't qualify as a person because i had no soul.

Being only 13 at the time, it really got to me and i decided that i wanted no part of it. All the comments i had received in hate soon fed my hate of those who had said such horrible things and for a few years, i despised religious individuals and was so angry that they believed i was less than human because of my confusion. If a god did exist, then i wanted to have no part of him and determined that there was no god, at least not for me.

Now, many years later and i am still wary of religious people but have no more hate. I opened my heart to people with other opinions because i did not want to become what they had been for me. Now i have many religious friends and am constantly learning about new things.

But, sometimes it is easy to be so angry when you have all the memories of hate directed toward you.
When I was a teenager, I thought much the way you do. I was a Catholic then, and as I explored religion, I became a non-denominational Christian, then an agnostic deist, and now I'm an agnostic atheist. I subtly moved from my original faith to my current one on two basis: a moral one, and a scientific one.

From a scientific standpoint, I embraced a non-religious outlook on the world because it seemed the most rational, and it still does. The world can be succinctly described from what we know scientifically, through observation, testing, and the formation of theories. The only truth that religion has had on reality, on a scientific basis, are either things that have been dis-proven (no religion in the past has ever predicted The Big Bang Theory or the Theory of Evolution) or things that may or may not be true (such as the existence of supernatural elements).

From a moral standpoint, I found (surprisingly enough), that despite what many apologetics will tell you, evolution does, in fact, have a basis in morality, in the sense that moral behavior (kindness, compassion, charity, etc.) can help a species survive and prosper, whereas evil behavior (acts of theft, murder, and selfishness) will drive a species into the ground. I read and reread my religion's scriptures, and I found that there really wasn't much there to claim morality upon (the Bible, for instance, never asserts that pedophilia is wrong). I found that a simple cross between a person's inherent conscience and their ability to reason morality makes for a better basis of right and wrong than any book.

So, now to be a little more direct with your question: why do atheists seem "angry"?
The answer is is that most us aren't. We live happy lives like the rest of the world, our disbelief in gods doesn't change that. What does make an atheist angry periodically, however, is when society asserts religion on it's people when it has no right to do so.
The scientific community, the one that has improved the length and quality of our lives, falls under attack by religious populations constantly, being accused of lies and exaggerations whenever the scientific outlook of the world questions the religious outlook, especially in regards to the Theory of Evolution, The Big Bang Theory, and the Plate Tectonics Theory. All three of those theories are not just "mere guesses" like some would assert, but unifying collections of indisputable facts in the fields of biology, astronomy, and geology (respectively).
There are those that assert that without belief in God, no one has any basis for morality, as if the human conscience and human rationality isn't enough. It is asserted that we need the bribery of eternal rewards for our good deeds, or the threat of eternal punishment for our evil ones, to stop us from becoming murderers, thieves, and sexual deviants. And this might sound like an exaggeration, but:
[link]

So, I wouldn't say that the atheist is an angry person. I'd only say that an atheist has different things to be angry about than most people.

(And if you're referring to atheists on the internet, need I remind you of the existence of trolls, who get a bit of fun from agitating people? =P )
As mentioned previously, it's the audacious tendency of certain religious people to push their beliefs onto anyone within view. Many look down upon those who don't believe as they do and I think it's ridiculous. Ironically, if they're members of a monotheistic religion, they disbelieve in every other religion that isn't theirs. A lot of the time, to simplify things to them, I just mention how atheists just believe in one less god than they do, and that their feelings towards the other gods they think aren't real are exactly the feelings atheists have towards every religion.

Atheism is merely the disbelief in any deity/supernatural being. There's no set list of views that all atheists share and I think that's a fact that a lot of people are ignorant of. The most misinformed religious people think atheists are "immoral" "angry" or "Devil worshipers". Which goes to show just how little time people spend actually learning about the things/people they supposedly "hate".

As an atheist, I personally find it illogical to believe that there's an invisible man in the sky who created everything, watches everything we do, hears everything we think and is all powerful. With all the knowledge we've acquired through science on subjects such as abiogenesis and evolution, I think many religious people just like the comforting feeling the thought of their "God" brings , and that's fine if they have those beliefs personally. My issues lie when those people persist in bigotry, belittlement and violence towards others who think differently (especially when those who disagree with their views provide evidence and respectful explanations as to why they think the way they do - but they decide to call them names rather than consider what's being said).

I think some of the perceived "anger" is warranted. If you've taken the time to actually learn about concepts possibly explaining how the world works, ask questions and process information subjectively - then be bombarded with messages and people that persist in varied delusions with no evidence to back them - and have the nerve to attack YOU for trying to think logically, you'd have every right to be angry. Having to keep your views quiet out of fear of how your peers and family might react, having to force a smile and falsely agree to religiously bias "advice" people try to give you, being subject to all sorts of scrutiny and misconceptions by misinformed people are all pretty good reasons to be "angry".
Atheists deny the exsistance of God. Got nothing to hate. Sounds like you just got a bunch of haters.
When you hear about laws where you can go to jail for a year for not believing in God you tend to get pissed off at religious people (this happened in Kentucky).
Other than that I don't get angry at religious people often unless they're pressing beliefs on others, providing false information about science and spreading preconceived notions about atheism/other beliefs. Generally when you're on one side you tend not to look in depth at the other side and figure out why they believe what they do and this starts conflict. I don't mind religious peoples beliefs though.
I am an Atheist and I have no shame in being one.

However, the Angry Atheists you speak of are what we call "New Atheists." The kind of Atheists who would blindly bash religion just for the sake of bashing religion and citing people like "Richard Dawkins" and "Sam Harris."

Also, wanna hear a rape joke? Sam Harris.
Crap, forgot this wasn't DrawPLZ. Wanted to congratulate you in the form of a picture.
I'll put one up soon.
Well lets see, because many people out there have insisted that the US is a Christian nation atheists have been told we are not considered citizens, we can never be president (because people won't vote for an atheist), that we lack morals, are only atheists because we want to sin, are the least trusted minority in the US, are trusted just above rapists, there are 7 states with laws on the record that you can't serve in a state job or position if you don't declare there is an Almighty Creator, and in 2006 Kentucky made a law that any citizen that doesn't declare this could be looking at a year in prison.

And people wonder why we get a tad frustrated about religion from time to time.
How would you feel if, not thirty years ago, atheists were social pariahs? I feel quite angry towards religion and willfully ignorant religious people. I feel as though my anger is justified, and I vent it in a constructive, collected, and peaceful manner. Is anger bad?
Personally, I try not to be hateful or spiteful in anyway when it comes to my Atheism. Usually, it doesn't get brought up because I don't make it a point to bring it up. However, it eventually comes up and yes, I always get the "Why?" question and I respond politely or just shrug it off. It doesn't particular bother me that people believe in a god like it bothers some Atheists. In my mind, people are people so why not let people be people? I admire personality more than beliefs. One of my best friends is a Jehovah Witness, and many of my classmates are Christians. Even if I get bombarded with God-talk, I try not to let it get to me because that's just the best way to handle such a sensitive topic.

The only thing that really angers me is Atheists who act completely rude and vindictive. I understand that some get really upset or agitated with the God-talk, but I mean those who are just spiteful in general without provocation at all. It kind of gives Atheists in general a really bad image, which makes it harder for acceptance. (Note: I live in the Bible Belt).
Perhaps a little substitution to hammer in a point...

"I've noticed a lot of Coloured People are very angry towards KKK Members and Racist people.
They lash out at them, they attack them, and call them very hurtful things.
Very often I have seen Coloured People tell KKK Members people that they are ignorant, brainwashed, and even "less of a person" for believing in something.
Why are so many Coloured People so hateful?
And doesn't it take a lot of time and energy to attack others for their beliefs? Why not live and let live?

(This is NOT targeted at anyone, if you are NOT like this it is NOT about you. I know a lot of KKK Members are the same way, not denying that. I also know a lot of wonderful Coloured People.)"
~kausawolf in Angry Coloured People

Christians only executed thousands of people they considered 'atheist' on an intercontinental scale.
If I was black, I'd be incredibly offended that some privileged, first-world white guy decided to put himself in the shoes of the genuinely persecuted black people in America and what other countries they were persecuted in, just to prove a point.

If there are people in the world who are genuinely afraid to go out at night for fear of religious people, and I'm sure there are, you should respect that and respect their situation by not "borrowing" their victim label and stamping it on your privileged forehead, when you are apparently living in one of the most secular countries in Europe.

"Oh sorry little me, I heard someone say "Merry Christmas" in a supermarket today, it was like being hung from a tree in front of my family while their house was being burnt down. It was awful!"

At least if you came from a country like North Korea or Iraq or who knows where else people can't stand each other's religious views, I would have taken you more seriously and thought well, this guy probably has to go through some shit everyday, but you're from a place where people can get fired if they wear a cross at work and there's great push to ban businesses from even using the word "Christmas", so by comparison your "persecution" problems are on the same scale as not getting the right colour iPad for Chri- I mean, Winter Holidays, as it's appropriate to say. But no, you've decided that your minority status (which I doubt in this country because I've personally met more non-religious people that religious since I've been here) puts you in the same shoes as that of an American black man in the 1800s. You may as well have just taken a piss on Martin Luther King Jr.'s statue.
"If I was black, I'd be incredibly offended that some privileged, first-world white guy decided to put himself in the shoes of the genuinely persecuted black people in America and what other countries they were persecuted in, just to prove a point."
*Tinoculars in Angry atheists

Hey everybody, I am white and therefore not allowed to give any perspective about any similarities between persecution based on religion and persecution based on race because *Tinoculars the racist said so.

Don't you all know, that all white people are rich, live in mansions and don't have problems, like homelessness, poverty, medical condition and definitely don' suffer from racial hatred, even though racism is now perceptibly worse for white people than black people, after all, it is not like any white guy has been stabbed or shot by a racially motivated person.

Privilaged
What sort of a troll are you?
"What sort of a troll are you?"
Gotta label me so you can be prejudiced about me some more, it's like you are addicted to hasty generalisations of demographics.
How much time do you actually spend making links to threads in comments? Actually, I guess it doesn't matter when you don't have a job.
I press a button and press copy paste.

Gawd, just because I am white you think I can't use a macro and Google.
View all replies
"If I was black, I'd be incredibly offended that some privileged, first-world white guy decided to put himself in the shoes of the genuinely persecuted black people in America and what other countries they were persecuted in, just to prove a point."
Comment rating: The most ignorantly racist thing I have read today.

I was stabbed because I was white.

genuinely persecuted black people
You're retarded.
Must be because I am white, you racist.