Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 249

Religion and science

:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Religion is a stop on science. It is not ethical, it is dishonour.

Do you agree or not?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontempusnexus:
TempusNexus Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wait, do you favor religion or science in this discussion? Because neither one of them is a serious impact on the other. Religion favors the things we can't know, don't understand, and trust to be real. Science is what we can know, understand and prove to be real. Neither is a block, and both are part of the way things are.
:iconmosobot64:
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
This might surprise you, but some of the leading minds in science are deeply Christian, even now, and scientific and archaeological expeditions have often been conducting in the hopes of finding some evidence. Religion can interfere with science, certainly, but it can also help it along.

(btw, I'm a Pagan, just so you know.)
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Less than 30% of scientists believe in a religion and those that do compartmentalize those beliefs from their science.
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Nevertheless, they exist; there used to be more religious scientists, but the number has gone down as different options have become more apparent.
Anyway, there's no trash talking religious people who are also doing their part to advance human knowledge as we know it, so I think I made my point.
It's called cognitive dissonance.
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
That implies that every scientist is in conflict about their beliefs. This may not be the case.
Like I said they compartmentalize them or come up with a rationalization.
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Not every scientist has problems with this actually. Consider this:

In theory, when the big bang was first happening, the universe was a single, perfectly spherical mass. In order for said mass to separate into the uneven chunks we see today, some outside force HAD to be involved. Some think a monotheistic God was behind that.
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
That is the rationalization I was talking about.
But neither matter nor dark matter is distributed evenly throughout the universe and can easily be refuted through the cyclical or multiple universe model.
(1 Reply)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Since when did science care for honor or dishonor? Also, Jesuits.
Add a Comment: