Closed to new replies
November 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 51

The effects of prayer

:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
The thought on the effects of prayer has been something I ponder about, but the after reading this particular article which was linked on the ol' facebook, I couldn't help but blab about my two cents on the issue.

[link]

Before I get started, I was raised a full blown Catholic, but as I grew into my teens, I began to question my believes and I am now an Atheist myself, I say this to put my statements in prospective.

First of all, judging from the article stated here, I know most Christians or Catholics believe that prayer is going to be the end all save all solution to any situation. (well, with the exception of the Christian Scientists, but they are on a whole other level!).

Prayer obviously isn't a substitute for medicine, prayer also won't stop bad weather or bad situations from happening. Whether they believe that's god's will or not is irrelevant!

But let's think of the other reason why people pray? Often to create a relationship with the creator, but also to find answers for when they feel sadness, guilt, shame, or any other negative emotion. To find solace when in a time of crisis.

I do believe that emptying all thought to retell an "our father" or "hail Mary" does relieve the mind of stress or anger in the same manner that taking a deep breath and counting to ten does (even if the one who prays doesn't realize it)

When one empties their mind of such thoughts, they are training their minds to focus on one such object, such as the words spoken in prayer. Once awaken from the empty minded state of prayer, one has a clearer view of reality.

They may believe that is the grace of god, but I believe that is because they've unknowningly been meditating and focusing their minds eye on their own.

There are a lot of health benefits in meditation, but I think prayer processes similar effects.

Any thoughts on this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Nov 22, 2012
To be honest my prayers have never quite been 'answered' when I was a Christian. Later after I left the church I made a few off handed wishes to my ancestors in a traditional ritual type thing. And you know what, I met a boy, did good in school, and learned a language, I was like thanks grandpa, you cool

But seriously I think I just probably became a better student and the boy is coincidence. I think prayer is something nice to have though. There's so many things that we cannot do, so it feels nice to be able to throw a plea into the wind. When I do now though, it isn't to an Abrahamic god anymore.
:icontdroid:
Well, there is always this( [link] ) video by DarkAntics on YouTube who sums up some of the things that happened in the following time after Rick Perry's huge prayer thingy.

I have to admit, it seems prayer might have some effect, but we might have misjudged God if this is true, judging from these results.
:iconadamkass:
AdamKass Nov 21, 2012  Professional General Artist
Maybe God just thinks Rick Perry's an enormous D-Bag...
Maybe. Wouldn't fault him for that, since Jesus told people explicitly to not pray in public.
:iconadamkass:
AdamKass Nov 21, 2012  Professional General Artist
You know, I've always wondered why it is that if one is supposed to pray in private and not flaunt their piety, how exactly do Churches justify their own existence when they are providing the means to violate both standards?
By not telling their followers that they can't justify their existance. Probably why the Catholic chruch was against Marting Luther's plan to make the bible more accepssable to the public, among other reasons.
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I see prayer is the one on one time you have with god. though you do most if not all of the talking. it's not a solve all like Duct Tape. but it does help calm the mind, lets you vent your problems and think things through.

though if you look into the concept of shared consciousness "curse you Spirit Science XD" there may actually be some effect to prayer!
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Nov 21, 2012  Student General Artist
Prayer is a placebo. It used to make me feel better as a kid. It makes me sick
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Nov 21, 2012  Student General Artist
Prayer doesn't make the external happen. Only the internal, and there's no external force behind it. It's all the brain
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
No, it's not. Think about it.
What does prayer make you feel like? Calmer, peaceful, relaxed? all those things are caused by mediation, and mediation is proved to work.

Will it heal your friend?
Will it make your job easier?

No.

Does it lower your stress levels?
Does it help to clear your mind?
Does it give you 'me' time?

Yes. And all of those things are proven to help.
Prayer works... just not in the way you think it does :shrug:
Add a Comment: