Closed to new replies
November 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 50

Organized religion vs religious belief

:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
In my casual observation, I've noticed quite a few people of a particular faith disassociating themselves with the organized religion aspect of their faith. Heck, even this forum's own Bible verse spouting lunatic who could never grasp the proper use of pluralization (you all know who I'm talking about) proclaims that he does not associate himself with any organized religion. Perhaps it's because people don't want to be associated with such negative aspects like the pedophile priest scandal or the Westboro Baptist Church. Or it could be that our modern ideals of free speech and personal freedom has allowed people to pick and choose what they want to believe rather than having an old man in a big funny hat tell them what to believe. Kind of makes me wonder how many people of faith still attend church service.

What are your thoughts on this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I feel it is best to separate yourself from any particular organized religion so I can finally judge people for who they are and not the mandates of their religion. It sounds prejudice, but if you support gays, had sex before marriage and you're not traumatized by it, pro-choice, or haven't paid your church taxes you are not fucking Catholic. Once I had to explain why I'm not Christian and I said for example well I believe gays should be allowed to get married about it and then a Catholic replies to me "well me too." Well then you aren't bloody Catholic are you?
:iconlittlecorax:
LittleCorax Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I think some of it depends on your definition of faith. I'm a very faithful person, but to me, being faithful is quite literally, being full of faith. And faith, for me, is the complete acceptance of the beliefs I have acquired through my life as a result of my experiences both physical and spiritual.

I don't have "a religion," nor do I associate with any, despite many having an aspect or three that are identical or similar to one or more of my beliefs. I have been to church, but have gone as a courtesy to friends or family. But ultimately, I find the idea of church.. odd. And the energy every time I have gone has always made me uncomfortable, as if it knows I'm not "one of them" and doesn't really want me there.

I don't know. I just can't seem to get behind the idea of needing or wanting someone else to tell me what to believe and how to act according to some "being" whose existence has to be taken on belief alone, and then being told that if I don't believe in it (the being, It's tenets, etc), I'm not only wrong, but am going to so to some horrible place to suffer....

Especially when, if everyone supposedly goes to one of the two-three places, regardless of if they believe in "Him" or whatever for eternity.... where do the stories come from what these places are like, since no one comes back? Tales, supposedly told to people by things whose existence can only be taken on belief alone.......

Yeah... People just take all of it way to literally, and that's probably half the problem.

I suspect there are a lot of people who've either lost their faith, or are distancing themselves at least sub-consiously, if not consciously, because some part of them realizes that what they need to do is follow the guiding ideas and principles, rather than take it so literally like the organized aspect tends to.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Going out on a limb, here, and guessing :iconanarchintheuke:? :lol:
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
If your guess was about who I was referring to when I said "this forum's own Bible verse spouting lunatic who could never grasp the proper use of pluralization", then you guessed wrong.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Really? Huh.

There must be more of them than I thought :stare:
:iconchurchx:
Churchx Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
its like atheism isn't it, you don't call yourself a group although you all have the primary belief of "there is no God or Gods" can it not be the same for other religions, sure we attend church services but that doesn't make us an organisation. I think we (as in the church) have lost sight of what's important, we've become such a power that our image in the world is more important, this is why i go against there being a "head of Church" there's a lot of power with that position. also i think its a lot of people trying to seem "cool" because for some reason having a religious belief makes you "uncool" not sure why but i've never let it bothered me. good question btw :)
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Actually at one point the church was the most powerful organization in the world. It has only slowly lost that power as time has passed.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Religion is organised terror as atheists together couldn't organise a chook raffle.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
We're getting better at it there are tons of rallies now.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I'd say that I don't mind people believing in God if it is just a personal thing that doesn't affect others. Some religious people try to affect others and this is, as far as I understand it, more common within the religious organizations than with individual people, and I am against that. I'm sure people can draw a conclution of what I think about the OPs question from this post.
Add a Comment: