Do you think that people are able to save Earth?

What do you think?

Standards of living are rising all the time and human thinks that it is possible to continue developement for ever. I have no idea how well recycling works globally but i have a funny feeling in my toe that it fails and we're slowly- but firmly running out of resources.

I find new electronics, mobile phones etc. a bit depressing because we don't need all that new stuff. A lot of money is spent just make ourselves feel more and more comfortable. Is that really necessary? Same thing with medicine. Don't we already live long enough?

Earth is crowded. People in western countries should adopt kids from east and Africa instead of getting their own.

A lot of good food is feed to cattle just to make more money.

At some time in history we lived the way we could've done for ever without spoiling environment. Do human race allow drawbacks in developement?

It bugs me how careless people are about these issues!

Are we able to save us from ourselves? In fact it is not even difficult, but it is because we're humans. We have to think about human rights and well-fare at first and then about nature. Maybe this is some sort of funny game set by God? Is it possible make things change enough without changing our common way of life?
Comments45
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
disease, plague or other outside influence is about the only thing which might set the world right. so many are obsessed with children, wanting this or that, taking over this and that. the few that do care, can't/won't/aren't heard and are typically tramped into the muck, so to speak. if more people cared then there might be hope, but at the moment the true plague of humans is what is killing the world and sooner or later they are going to turn on themselves like a pack of starved coyote, until then we have to sit back and wait and try our best to do our part
Possibly people subconsciously believes that we're going to do just fine and nothing bad will eventually happen. Everyone don't think seriously about it or isn't accepting the truth.
This seems to be a rather popular talking point among the many environmentalists, hippies and vegans that I've met and subsequently done everything possible to avoid. I don't believe that the Earth needs to be saved from humanity as much as humanity needs to avoid self-destruction. The Earth, though, managed fairly well on its own without us. I can only imagine that it will continue to soldier on long after we are gone. (if we ever leave) Personally I'm rooting for a Warhammer 40K -esque scenario minus the fanatical religious overtones. Maybe a little more Star Trek.
I'm not hippie nor vegan... these are just facts that everyone should face. I'm not going to kill anyone to reduce population.
Oh, I don't automatically assume that people are environmentalists, hippies or vegans simply by asking the question. There were plenty of people I became mildly acquainted with before I found out firsthand what every topic of conversation turned to when speaking to them.

As to reducing the population we seem to be doing a good enough job with that as it is.
No! God says, He will destroy the earth and create new heaven and earth, where there's no more sea and there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God will give them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever...
Doomsayers have been claiming that since the beginning of man and none have been right. Someday man will die, the earth will die the universe will die; but it will not be within this generation.
i think that when the human species puts its children first above itself and grows the future generations up with a guaranteed birthright to health and safety, then yes, the fighting will stop and new technology and science and learning will re grow the broken trees and earth and clean the filthy waters and seed the clouds to drop the cleansing rain upon the parched earth and so on and so forth......
I highly doubt it. We're pretty much fucked. Unless by some miracle
(or alien invasion) we'll be able to forget our differences and work as one that is.
But considering how unlikely that is I think it's reasonable to say that we're fucked.
In my view, Humanity may have begun as a natural, coexisting part of this world but now we're overwhelming it to the point that we're threatening its survival...and considering there are no other inhabitable worlds within our reach for us to escape to should this one perish (meaning this is all we have), it's not very smart of us.
And I say "us" and "we" because we're all part of the problem (some more then others) and we all (that's right, every-one of us) carry the responsibility of ensuring the health and safety of our world for us and coming generations.

Some damages that have been caused by us, like land/water/air pollution, the effects it has on the environments and the holes in the ozone would still take hundreds of years to heal/dissipate even if all civilizations as a whole agreed and put a stop to it tomorrow; that's how bad it is right-now. We could ALL turn eco-friendly and there will still be pollution fall-out for generations.
Why bother then, right?
Yes, the effects will still be felt for a while yet, but at least the Earth will have a chance to heal and revitalize itself if every-single-person NOW does a small part in making the world around them just a little bit better.
Recycle. Walk, bike, take the bus, car-pool. Turn off the lights in the rooms you're not using. Make sure the taps in your home are shut off and try not to let them run if you're not using them right away. Maybe switch your systems over to solar or wind power if you can. Buy and use products made from recycled material. The ways are endless and they're all so simple that the only excuse not to do at least one of them is pure laziness. Period.
Might not seem like much, but if each of us did at least 1-2 of those things, on a whole it'd make a big difference.

As far as over-population goes, that's what disease and death is for. It's nature's way of 'thinning out the herd', sort of speak. Medicine and science are constantly coming up with new ways to combat them, but in the end Cancer is still something we haven’t yet been able to completely overcome (my father is currently battling prostate and bladder cancer) and is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths worldwide ever year, AIDS is another thing we've no cure for. Still, other diseases around the world there are cures for continue to kill anyway, so it's doing it's part in trying to keep tabs on us, we just keep breeding faster then we're dieing.

That being said, probably a considerable way to combat overpopulation is controlling the numbers of babies being born each year and mandatory sterilization in overpopulated areas. There are already some places in Asia where a couple is only allowed to have 2 children, maximum, and any further pregnancies are fined and aborted...but I can't remember the names of these places for the life of me! I watched a whole documentary on it...argh! Well, I'll reference back to you if I manage to find them, but it was really quite interesting and clever, I thought so anyway.

Anyhoo, sorry for the rant; I just really like discussing topics like these and hearing all the different views. :)
Thanks for great comment!

I agree with you on all these issues, but in my opinion those small eco-friendly acts are a bit stupid. Sure it might make a difference if each and everyone of us would start using them but it is not enough. Commands should come from highest authorities possible if we really want to change. They should be orders, not just slight recommendations! But maybe "leaders" have counted that enough change can be achieved in slow and human way?

It is also a bit hilarious how people are awarded for inventing cures against different diseases. Hopefully no-one will develope medicines against cancers and AIDS! Diseases are natural way to cut down population and shouldn't be resisted too much. Humanity makes everything so difficult... Sure we have to care about each others but sometimes it would be better if we were able to think in numbers instead of emotions. May sound a bit cynical but this is what I think. :S
I think if every single person changed their lifestyle and lived their life in a similar way towards a common goal, then yes.

Seeing as that is impossible, then no.
Its actually a very interesting subject that you've brought up and my answer is that I feel the effect that humans have is not as big as some think. I agree with you on the fact that many waste good supplies, food, money, water, ect that could be used for better things and that many people over use medicine and antibacterial stuff. In my opinion stuff like hand sanatizer (srry for my spelling) in many cases is a waste. If you have a minor cold you will live and you don't have to take a lot of meds for it. But you also have to remember the world has a way of balancing things out. For example if we were really creating global warming by producing more co2 then the plants on earth would be growing a lot faster and in more areas because plants use co2 to live, and the more plants the more oxygen is produced. What I'm trying to get at is unless we do the extreme and destroy everything then Earth as a planet will be fine. I also believe we should cut back a little and re-evaluate what we need and what we want because we need to be more aware of what is around us and keep the world a nice place for future generations. I hope that helps you cause I know I've probably contradicted myself a few times (getting a bit tired lol)
Different diseases are a natural way to cut down population /both humans and animals) but we're resisting. Maybe we should stop? But if a disease takes over the whole world and kills everybody it's not good either. :O
What we need is a good and truely devastating, genocide filled World War 3.

Or a way off planet.
WW3 could be a nuclear war... and i don't think that it would make ourselves or Earth feel any better. :o
I am imagining one WITHOUT nuclear war.
I do agree with you on WWIII. :nod:

Not that I'd want it to happen, but that'd certainly answer for a large part of the problem. Perhaps.
... Maybe not if you think about it. Baby booms after WW2 were... considerable.
That's a fair point. :hmm:
Maybe WW3 could be a good excuse to cut down some of the extra population, but i don't think that were able to leave Earth anytime soon (or even distant future).
Distant future it could be possible. You merely need a more than capable synthesization process for most things we need, a capably dependable supporting environment(difficult) and the right propulsion capacity.
We're working on all those things.

NASA is currently preforming a series of space warping experiments to see if their new White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer can detect a space alteration of several nanometres. When successful, this device will be used to test miniature warp drives.
It's by no means a fast process, but if all goes well, we might yet see a functional warp drive prototype in a decade or two.
[link]

As for a synthetisation, it may be closer than we think, though not in the sense of being able to generate matter at will. (That would break the laws of physics.) What we can do is build a 3D printer to assemble objects we need from resources we can bring along. A lot of refinement is required before we can make anything though.
The Fab@Home project is on to a good start with 3D printing already. [link]
They've created some objects using their machine, including cookies and batteries. [link]

The supporting evironment, now that's the real challenge. ^^;