Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 165

Would you eat artificial meat?

:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
So science is getting pretty close to being able to grow artificial meat, made without harming any animals. When and if this becomes readily available to a consumer market, would you eat it, and this includes vegetarians and vegans, even if you still don't eat meat regularly would you eat this once in a blue moon?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student General Artist
there are studies now where people are using people as the mass testing subjects. they are using cloned meat and veggies and people aren't telling the difference with it. I can't find any sources because it's been hushed rather quickly, but I can remember reading in science magazines where they are slipping in cloned food at stores in certain areas/locations as real food and no one is able to tell the difference. same with cooking cloned meat vs real meat.

wit that stated, I would, if it tastes the same I would. save the animals and save the plant, also save the location to put farms, since land is scarce these days due to over population.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think I will eat it. Reducing killing animals :D
:iconfoxdog77:
foxdog77 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
The real question is whether we'll have a choice in the matter a few years down the line?

With a population growing exponentially, one day we'll need the land that is currently being used for farming to house people. Without farmland where will we get enough food to feed the human race. Not to mention that if the ocean levels rise, that will already take up a huge chunk of living space.

Artificial meat might be the future :shrug:

And hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
No. I would not.
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Doesn't that already exist? You know, like when it's made of dairy and grains in stead of meat but it still tastes like chicken?
:iconequiliari:
Equiliari Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Yes I would.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Depends on the resources needed to produce it.
:iconsweetnspooky:
SweetNspooky Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
NO. BECAUSE. ITS. FUCKING. WEIRD.
:icondefor:
DeFor Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student
No. I haven't eaten meat in years, and I have no desire to.
Lab grown meat is an awesome idea, and I'd love to see it on the market. But I think I'd still be grossed out about eating meat, and I've heard it makes you sick if you haven't eaten it in a long time. I might not avoid it as strictly as I do regular meat, but I wouldn't intentionally eat it.
:iconcaptainfantasy:
CaptainFantasy Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Yeah. Why not? As long as it's safe to eat and pretty much tastes like it came from an animal, I'm all for it.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd love to :la:

I'm fairly disappointed with the people here who don't know the difference between artificial meat and lab-grown meat :no:
:iconskvattram:
Skvattram Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
If it would taste the same as the real deal, sure.
Anything else would be pretty sick, actually.
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
no more sick then spam, I imagine.
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It depends. If it isn't soy "meat", then sure, I'd be willing to try it. But the fake meat they have now tastes like shit. It doesn't deserve to call itself meat! :stare: Not to mention, I heard soy isn't that good for you anyways >.>
:iconfalynevarger:
FalyneVarger Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional General Artist
Soy isn't bad for you, but if you have it in large amounts it can be. (just like everything else in the world)
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, that's always a general rule, we could say the same for nearly everything.

[link]
[link]
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yes, absolutely.
:iconalucard07:
alucard07 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
i like a good old fashioned blue bloody steak. no artificial bull shit for me thanks.
It's still gonna have the "blood" :B
alucard07 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Still needs to be organic.
DavidScript Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Define "organic" :O
alucard07 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Coming from an animal, not a lab making imitation meat.
:icon1superterry:
1Superterry Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No thank you. I'd rather have all organic. Also scientists are very close to developing animals with omega-6 fat, which comes from fish (animals have omega-3 fat, which is the bad fat.)
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
When they can get it so that it has virtually the same nutritive content, and that I cannot taste the difference, then I will eat it. Until then... my butcher has business.
:iconcouchycreature:
CouchyCreature Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
artificial meat will always just be a partly complete copy.

Science may be able to make something that looks like meat, feels like meat, tastes like meat ...but it won't be meat.
DavidScript Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
How so? :O
:iconcandanceamy:
CandanceAmy Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Nope. Because I was made to eat real meat not lab made meat.
This is how I think: If I were in the wild and a hungry mountain lion would spot me it wouldn't hesitate to eat me.
That's why I don't feel guilty about eating a cow. I was designed to eat it.

I love and respect all animals but it's the circle of life and we should respect it as well.
:iconi-stamp:
i-stamp Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
The domestic cow has undergone so much selective breeding that you could very well call it human processed, as it no longer resembles any of its wild cousins. And nobody who is intelligent and has the means drinks cow milk which doesn't undergo human processing (pasteurization) because it's a great way to get sick.

In short, we eat things we weren't 'made to eat' all the time and don't bat an eye.
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There's nothing wrong with eating animals, but there's something wrong with the way many of them are raised. I admit I eat these poorly treated farm animals too, but if we can avoid that then why shouldn't we?
:iconfoxdog77:
foxdog77 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
But can we avoid it?? I totally agree that these animals are raised in appalling conditions, and its cruel and inhumane.

But the biggest problem is the size of the human race.

If say 200 people consume a cow (between the lot of them, not one cow each :)) every day, we would need +- 35million cows to feed the human race for a day. if we want to treat each cow humanely we would need to give every cow at least 20 square meter to move around. We just don't have the space... and its really unfortunate.

But this is the future I think we're heading towards. And we have to realize how difficult it's going to become to maintain any kind of balance going into the future
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't know why you're telling me this, it's a different topic. I'm talking about avoiding the mistreatment of animals by artificially growing meat, not raising them differently.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
No if it will cost me more than a real thing.
No if it costs the same.
Maybe if it's cheaper :B
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Nay, artificial meat can't give the same taste & texture as the actual meat anyway. When think about it, if there are people going against harming animals. Since science proof plants are also a living thing, don't that start a movement against people eating plants? Then soon, yeast?
I like actual meat anyway, especially if you hunt them yourself, it's rewarding when you eat it.
Or at least if you cook everything yourself, you actually feel better preparing the meat yourself rather than just cut up this tofu wannabe.
:iconthordis-system:
Thordis-System Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No thank you.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I see no reason not to. :meow:
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Yes, as long as it at least as cheap as real meat.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
One of the reasons animals are treated so cruelly is because meat is cheap, far too cheap. :no:
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Real meat will get more expensive.
But if the artificial meat costs the same as real meat, or less, I would totally go for it.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
It should never have gotten as cheap as it is anyway, but I hope you're right. :stare:
:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What do you mean by artificial meat, exactly? Just nonsentient, genetically-created lumps of meat or something?
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
yes
:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd imagine that'd still raise some red flags from vegans and such. Some of them don't avoid meat just because eating it hurts animals.

That said, I'd go for it if it's pretty much the same at a lower price.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
I'd rather have genuine cow, thank you very much.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Well I still prefer real fruits juice over kool-aid. Just saying. Not like I hate kool-aid, but orange kool-aid versus orange juice. I'd take the orange juice.
Kool-aid isn't juice though. Artificial meat is still meat, it's just grown via artificial means.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
True. If they can nail down the chemical makeup of meat and the texture, why not?
They're literally growing living steaks. It's not like they're mixing different chemicals and whatnot in a giant blender.
That's my feeling. I'm seeing a lot of comments knocking it for reasons that would suggest many people are blissfully unaware of what they consume already.
:iconkaikaku:
kaikaku Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
They're sort of different levels of unnatural. I prefer orange juice too, but Tropicana, for all its deliciousness, is actually flavoured by packets. >_>
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
Real fruit juice is too sweet for me.
Add a Comment: