Cyber-Bullying Going too Far

Recently I've heard about how a vocal feminist (and when I say feminist, I mean a woman who wants actual equal rights, not some man-hating crazy person) woman was being harassed by a bunch of jerks online, and that when she tried to call them out on it, their comments when from nasty to downright terrifying. They started to threaten to RAPE and MURDER her, put up horrible pictures of her next to a noose and even one of her screaming with a thong on her face. Not only that but they also started posting personal information like her phone number and address online. She's scared to leave her house and they're justifying it by saying that since she put herself out there, they were in the right.

WHAT. THE. HELL.

I know that a lot of people turn into assholes online because of the anonymity of the Internet, but that's just plain SICK, who the Hell thinks this is in any way, shape, or form FUNNY? The Internet is for expressing your opinion right? Sure you have the right to disagree with someone else's opinion, but that sure as Hell doesn't give you the right to be a sick bastard and threaten to rape and kill them!

It wouldn't bother me so much if not for the fact that when I looked up for more information, I saw about two dozen articles saying more or less the same thing, that this is happening to a lot of women trying to speak out. Not all of them, but enough that it's a little disturbing. Hell, I looked at the comments and saw some downright nasty, sexist, homophobic and closed minded assholes doing more or less the same thing!

So I created this forum post to ask if anyone else has been a victim of cyber-bullying, and boys, don't think I'm just talking to girls. Cyber-bullying knows no gender, and we all know that guys can get just as much abuse as girls. I also what to hear about your opinions and what you think should be done about it.
Comments107
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Cyber-bullying is one of the drawbacks of the internet. Most cyber-bullies are actually insecure, demure people in real life. The anonymity and lack of meaningful consequences for their words are what gives them the "courage" to act like knuckle-dragging fucktards and be abusive. This isn't really surprising considering these people probably either suffer from real life bullies or believe they do. As such, they take those frustrations out on people they disagree with over the net, where they are safe from actual consequences.

Then, there are the minority of these twits who actually need to be reported to law enforcement, as they really will go through with threats in real life.

Sadly, I don't think there's any meaningful means to stop these people. One can report them to police, but getting law enforcement to take these things seriously requires the capacity of the bully to carry out a physical threat. So basically, police don't really take cyber-bullying seriously if the victim isn't geographically accessible by the bully. All people can do it try to get accounts involved in cyber bullying deleted, or make friends with a really good hacker who could permanently rout the Bully's IP to the Disney site and block any attempt to get anywhere else...
Nietzsche said, make yourself hard; he wasn't kidding around.
Teens nowadays are beginning to become more careless about others and even possibly themselves. They seem to do it just to relieve stress, cyber-bully someone to the point of suicide, or simply for fun.

If something like this were to happen to you in small places like South Korea, chances are, your whole life is destroyed within days since rumors spread far faster in much smaller countries.

But anyways the only thing I can think of to stop cyber-bullying is to give an OPPOSITE response of what they expected, or say something that will defeat the purpose of why they were cyber-bullying him/her.
Comment hidden
[link]
[link]
[link]

Poor bastard has a hateful ex-partner who has been plastering nude pics of the ex all over the web for the last couple of years. Deviant art is only one of the places.

A google search might be useful to find off-site references.
Oh yeah, I remember that crazy ex when Vaporeon249 posted a complaint about it...
yes, I feel very sorry for him and it is a sobering lesson for those who pose. His slightly personal images are all over the web forever with requests for people to mock him.
All because of a crazy ass ex.
Why did I just snickered with a smile in my face?
one has to keep in mind that "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me". if a sicko attacks you verbally or in writing, the police will investigate if you lay a charge. expecially if you have been threatened in writing. also, the person hosting the website should have some sort of obligation to ban these people from contacting you again? One has to be pro active in combatting these sorts of insane people who cannot have a decent debate, but must always be right and everyone else be wrong. it is a sign of ignorance in an unevolved and uncivilized brain, in my opinion, and not really a gender thing. xx
sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me

Ladies and gentlemen, one of the most bullshit statements ever taught to children.
Yeah! I saw a guy that was beaten to death by a metal framework made "Fuck", once.

That and the word "fire" in the mouth of an army captain, can be pretty damn deadly if guns are pointed at you.

Anything that is not resembling these situations, is something... highly complex from a moral point of view.
i disagree with you on that,because its a choice everyone must make inside their own minds....to be a victim or not. If one is getting bullied by name calling and spiteful bullies anywhere on planet earth, in every family and every school and every community and every nation......not much one can do but hope that they become more enlightened before they die one day. Therefore, refusing to be a victim is a good way to survive the insane mindsets of bullies and other control freaks?
Let's try that logic in another scenario: if someone gets raped, are you saying they shouldn't think themselves as a victim of rape? You seem to think that bullying is only physical, that it doesn't count if it's just words. I imagine there are many, many people out there who would say otherwise. Myself included.
if i am a victim of a crime that someone else commits. i am the innocent victim of that criminal. the same with bullying. If the criminal is not an absolute psychopath, then maybe their conscience and guilt would harm them more. If I am a victim of a cold hearted tsunami or hurricane or a wild animal, I would have no one to blame even though nature does not care at all...very much like a psycopath without a conscience.....so, to blame a psycopath would be like to blame mother nature. In my opinion, the human being who kills or hurts another human being in any physical or mental way, is insane. When we all understand this, then ways to heal that insanity can begin, to stop the cycles of dysfunction once and for all, instead of letting it continue because no one can get over the need for revenge. At this stage of our evolution however, I have not met anyone who does not seek revenge for crimes committed against the innocent. xx Also, if a victim makes a choice to NOT be a victim of a bully or a rapist (I am not saying this is easy or even possible sometimes) then they can carry on living with the joy and happiness that they deserve, instead of giving the criminal the power to take these basic rights away from them. xx
Um...you probably didn't notice my signature, but the sticks and stones saying isn't the best one to use on me.

And god do I hate people who always have to be right. Okay, I don't hate them, but dammit do they piss me off. I admit, I can be stubborn when I have an opinion, and I will stand by that opinion, but even I take into consideration what other people say and take it into account, and if I agree then I will change my opinion. People who always have to be right are really annoying and it's never fun having to try to express your opinion around them, because they can't take the hint as to what a freaking OPINION is.
You must hate me.
This presupposes she was being reasonable and civil, people don't just lose their mind in a civil argument. And for all the outrage you seem to have over this, I guarantee you didn't mind that deviation that said it was funny to burn fat people alive [link] so kindly shove your outrage up your ass.
... I didn`t. I do it regularly. They are more tender when they were cooked alive.

What? Beef makes me too fat! I metabolize human better!
She should have thought to call the police as soon as she saw her personal info distributed without her consent.