Closed to new replies
November 16, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Rights and privileges

:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
The more I look into the question of whether marriage should be considered a privilege or a right, the more I find that the issue is mainly partly semantics. It also seems to me that some "rights" should actually be seen as a privilege.

Discuss.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheawsomeopossum:
All rights are semantics. In fact, technically, language in general is mostly semantics when you get down to the nitty and gritty because of the way we set definitions in our head.

So you'd be right about it =).
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Nov 16, 2012   Digital Artist
Marriage is a right. Whether the married couple receives privileges or not, depends on the situation.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
In the time when the bible was written and was essentially law, if a woman was raped, she had to marry her rapist. Read deuteronimies if you don't believe me.
Marriage seems to be heavily taken for granted as any asshole celebrity can have a heterosexual marriage for 42 hours to gain attention and then divorce immediately.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Not a christian here and not interested into the bible, got something else?
:iconajglass:
AJGlass Nov 16, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
We obviously need to go back to when women were considered property that could be bought and sold only by white men.

Because you know, those were good times for everyone involved. Right?

*this is a sarcastic post
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think of it as a right that is treated as a privilege by the masses. That doesn't make it a privilege, it just makes for ignorant people.
:iconthe-thunder-fox:
The-Thunder-Fox Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Rights are assumed and argued against; privileges are unassumed and argued for. These are no mere semantics.

For example:
:bulletpurple: Freedom of speech is assumed to apply. Someone bringing an action for defamation is arguing against the applicability of that freedom.
:bulletpurple: It is assumed that someone will produce all documents necessary to a court. A lawyer arguing for legal professional privilege for some documents is arguing for privilege.

For marriage, it is a pure legal right. It is not a privilege in any sense... it just happens to only apply to those in heterosexual relationships. They're 'privileged', but I'm using this word in a different context here.
:iconmpsai:
MPsai Nov 16, 2012   Digital Artist
Well it isn't semantics since actual legal rights come along with marriage.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Privileges are what the Church claims, rights are what the world claims.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
A lot of what people call "rights" are actually privileges, but then, very often governments try to label privileges things that ought to be rights. That's why we have to be careful.

At base, marriage is a contract, and it's peculiar to say the least that this contract alone is strictly limited as to what sort of people may enter into it. If that was the case with any other contract, it would be immediately as wrong.
Add a Comment: